Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 54   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: British Royal News II  (Read 82096 times)
Maria
Administrator
Most Exalted Member

« on: December 21, 2018, 04:26:01 PM »

Please do remember that William, Kate, their children, Harry and Meghan are O/T and only to be discussed in their respective sections.
minimoos

Mini Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 06:26:49 PM »

I hope it’s ok to continue the nanny conversation, in a general sort of way. If not, please feel free to delete.

My grandmother is roughly the same age as the Queen, and just today she commented that she wished our annual New Years Day dinner could be adults only. There are only five children in our extended family, and Thanksgiving was an absolute nightmare. I’m generally a person who expects nothing more than realistic, age-appropriate behavior from young kids. Young kids do not have the attention span and interest to sit through a formal meal, which is what I would consider the BRF lunch. Even an 11-year-old’s interest would wane, and you probably wouldn’t just let him up to wander around BP. Hence the nanny. Weird, yes, but I imagine the kids are used to it. Honestly, if the older kids would prefer to be with the other children than sitting with the adults at a probably stuffy lunch, good for them.
Molly2101

Huge Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 02:04:02 PM »

To be fair to the Wessex’s, their nanny hasn’t been seen with them in a long time. She used to be at the Windsor Horse show but recently she hasn’t been seen with them. This was the first time we have seen her in a long time. Sophie left separately to her husband and children so perhaps Edward was dropping them off and going somewhere himself so the kids would need to be looked after at home, hence the nanny.  They probably also still have the nanny occasionally at home or to do the school runs when they’re both busy or at BP for meetings etc.

I also feel that the royal family nannies become a part of their family. They tend to have the same one from birth so I guess they’re like family themselves.

The small children don’t eat with the rest of the family so they need to be looked after by someone and I guess all the nannies chat with each other and have some time together too. They probably all know each other well after all these years and they’re also most likely all Norland nannies so they maybe know each other from that.

"All my heart is yours, sir: it belongs to you; and with you it would remain, were fate to exile the rest of me from your presence forever." Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte.
ralf103

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 11:43:57 PM »

https://www.dailymail.co....rking-royal-year-row.html

Who are the hardest working royals?
Princess Anne: More than 180 separate days worked in 2018

Prince Edward: 170+ days

Prince Charles: 160+ days

Prince Andrew:  140+ days

Queen: 120+ days

Prince William: 120+ days

Prince Harry: 90+ days

Duchess of Cambridge: 50+ days

Duchess of Sussex: 40+ days

Prince Philip: Six engagements

Take it with a pinch of salt, I mean what does 170+ mean? 179 v Anne's 180? lol
jolene

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 12:12:22 AM »

I wonder the amount of Sophie's engagements. I swear that she seems to alway be doing something on behalf of the family. My guess is that she's the hardest working of the married-ins.
tsarinya

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 12:23:42 AM »

Amazing that when you scroll through the royal circular it’s ‘the princess royal, the princess royal, the princess royal ....’ etc. Never knew how many engagements Anne did, very impressed!
Ellie

Warned
Humongous Member

wannabe Lesbaru driver

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2018, 02:51:02 AM »

I'd say Sophie does as much as Edward. Anne and Charles are the workhorses of the family and knowing them they at least are prepared and do a lot other than just their engagements and treat being a royal like an actual job...
Sondra Finchley

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2018, 06:35:08 AM »

Did they change how all this is counted? I could swear it used to be "Anne did 300+ engagements" Now it says days but, knowing Anne, I doubt she backed off.

Still, for the rest of them its not bad working two months worth of "days" even if that day consists of two hours of showing up and making small talk, for the all privileges and goodies. In terms of national unity/tradition the existence of the Royal Family IS somewhat the last line of defense in that regard - a fact that seems to escape some members.
luvcharles

Warned
Big Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2018, 08:14:40 AM »

Tim O'Donovan's count, which is usually published on New Year's Day and has been being published since the early 1980s counts engagements.

The DM decided to use 'days' rather than engagements for their own reasons.

I prefer engagements for the simple reason that someone who works on 100 days and only does one engagement per day I don't think is working as hard as someone who works on 90 days but does 5 engagements on those 90 days - 100 engagements versus 450 engagements.

As for how much Sophie does - according to the poster on TRF she is 6th this year - behind Charles, Anne, Edward, Andrew and The Queen and quite a way behind. That poster has Charles and Anne at over 500 with Edward not far away from 500 and Andrew also over 400. The Queen was approaching 300 while Sophie was in the mid-200s just ahead of the Duke of Gloucester, William and Camilla.

I found it interesting listening to the Sunrise broadcasters here in Australia this morning and they were talking about the impact of the younger royals compared to Anne (without saying it specifically I got the feeling they felt the younger royals were more effective) but ... one of them also claimed that Harry and Meghan were doing at least 6 engagements per day and up to 12 during their down under tour. When you read the CC though you will see that the most done on any day was 6. That is the power of the media - constant coverage makes people think someone is doing more than they are which is why it seems that Sophie does about as much as Edward when she does about half (approximate figures only) but she gets coverage for many, if not most of her engagements, as do Kate and Meghan, largely so the media can describe their clothes while the men only seem to get coverage when with their wives or there is a really important reason for it to be covered such as William's tour to the mid-east.
Duchess of Suffolk

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2018, 10:09:19 AM »

The Queen dons a festive feathered hat as she joins daughter-in-law Sophie Wessex for church at Sandringham yesterday - ahead of welcoming her family for Christmas Day

ElisaRose

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2018, 10:23:21 AM »

They both look gorgeous, and it is clear they very much like each others company. 

"I always had a dread of becoming a passenger in life.” HRH The Princess Margaret
Lady G

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2018, 10:54:14 AM »

Ooh clever Sophie - get there early before everyone else arrives and get HM and her ear to yourself. She would have survived the Tudor courts, that one 😆

"Cowards falter, but danger is often overcome by those who nobly dare."
ElisaRose

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2018, 11:37:37 AM »

Ooh clever Sophie - get there early before everyone else arrives and get HM and her ear to yourself. She would have survived the Tudor courts, that one 😆
Star Lady G, yes she would and still look innocent and adorable at the same time  Banana

"I always had a dread of becoming a passenger in life.” HRH The Princess Margaret
Diamond Lil

Gigantic Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2018, 12:50:38 PM »

Star

Lady Alice

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2018, 02:08:45 PM »

Message clear: Megan is not besties with the Queen.

No more spin required.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 54   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: