Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 91   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: British Royal News II  (Read 251455 times)
Mab

Mini Member

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Ignore
« Reply #1290 on: January 08, 2020, 09:46:51 PM »

BREAKING. BBC Understands that no other member of the Royal Family was consulted before Harry and Meghan issued their personal statement tonight, the Palace is understood to be ‘disappointed’.

And when you boil it down, I'd say Harry was one of those unconsulted members if we were talking about the Harry of pre 2016.  The post 2016 version, being an empty shell, didn't need much consulting, jst directing.  And there I'll stop on the personal opinions before Maria has my balls  Nerves
But in general, it all sounds like wanting jam on your egg.  Working for the firm officially?  Well there will be restrictions on commercial activity.  Working privately and commercially?  Rather debars them from representing the crown and receiving remuneration for this.  All clear as mud.
amethyst

Mini Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1291 on: January 08, 2020, 09:47:48 PM »

oh shit - at first this seemed to be a really good idea, they clearly were not happy with their situation and knowing that Charles wants to slim down the monarchy it makes sense for them to step back at some point. but then coming out that they didn’t even consult the family and essentially want to monetize their appearances celebrity style while still using duchy money?? un-freaking-believable.  Nono

either take taxpayer money and put up with the ribbon cutting, or do you own thing and don’t take another cent from the taxpayers. YOU. CAN’T. HAVE. BOTH. smdh
Konradin

Small Member

Argentina Argentina

“Après moi le déluge”

Ignore
« Reply #1292 on: January 08, 2020, 09:51:02 PM »

Richard Palmer shared BP's reaction on Twitter. Might be best if they stay OT to be honest.

Statement from the Queen’s office at Buckingham Palace: “Discussions with The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are at an early stage. We understand their desire to take a different approach, but these are complicated issues that will take time to work through.”
You are right, to be honest, I'm surprised neither Maria nor Thomas said anything yet but this was too big to go unnoticed. Yes, it seems they went rogue. Or at least is what BP suggested in between lines.  Secret Let's just say, for the sake of the argument, it is very difficult to warm up to these two.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 09:59:13 PM by Konradin » Logged
cottesmore girl

Baby Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1293 on: January 08, 2020, 09:53:36 PM »

But isn't this exactly what quite a few of the European royals do?  

Princess Madeline of Sweden lives a 'private' life in Florida while retaining her Royal Status and getting paid for her 'royal' duties?

The Dutch Royal brothers had / have jobs.

Prince Joachim from Denmark lives in France but is presumably still 'paid' for representing the crown?

Even QE2's daughter, Anne, woks    and presumably earns money while still representing the crown.

So why can't Harry (currently 6th in line?) Do the same.

Booklover

Warned
Medium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #1294 on: January 08, 2020, 09:57:07 PM »

I won't dish on these two, but is this the first time anyone has done this? Not comparable to Ed V111. But what does it mean that they are stepping down and will continue to support the Queen?
I believe Diana would be disappointed. She always wanted Harry to be a support to William, and would be upset that there is a rift. They meant everything to her.
LongMaySheReign

Mini Member

France France

Ignore
« Reply #1295 on: January 08, 2020, 09:58:26 PM »

Sounds like BP was taken by surprise. Yikes.
chsy

Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #1296 on: January 08, 2020, 10:00:43 PM »

Sussexroyal.com has info. It seems like they want to go out and make money without rules and restrictions off the name while still getting Duchy and grant money when doing things for the Queen. Still use FC and have security. Cake and eat it too. IMO.

Can you link it?

considering the latest statement from the Queen's office, whatever they have on their website is their wishful thinking and it looks like the RF was taken by surprise. we are yet to see what they will be left with after the RF processes that.

If they’re smart their announcement was their opening offer that they are trying to muscle through, but they’re prepared to make a clean break. That’s my hope for them anyway - he’s got personal inheritance and she has savings, plus I don’t think they’ll have any trouble supporting themselves with books, speaking engagements, etc, and doing their charity work on the side. I am so intrigued by how this will shake out.
Lady Mellie

Mini Member

Antarctica Antarctica

Ignore
« Reply #1297 on: January 08, 2020, 10:07:33 PM »

Princess Madeline of Sweden lives a 'private' life in Florida while retaining her Royal Status and getting paid for her 'royal' duties?
Madde stepped back as a senior royal and stepped back almost completly, supporting her Swedish family when needed (Nobels for exemple). We don't see much of her, she quietly does her work for Childhood. Plus, she has a husband who is litteraly financially independent and can provide for his own family. Here, the S are stepping back as senior royals but not stepping back from the world, if I can put it this way.

Richard Palmer shared BP's reaction on Twitter. Might be best if they stay OT to be honest.
Statement from the Queen’s office at Buckingham Palace: “Discussions with The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are at an early stage. We understand their desire to take a different approach, but these are complicated issues that will take time to work through.”
I fully agree with the bold part. Yes This is why I won't say much on this thread. I just think, for all the parties involved, there is sadness and there is incomprehension. It's a pity. I hope the wounds will be mended.
Florine

Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #1298 on: January 08, 2020, 10:09:18 PM »

Prince Joachim from Denmark lives in France but is presumably still 'paid' for representing the crown?

Even QE2's daughter, Anne, woks    and presumably earns money while still representing the crown.

Yes, but the Dutch royals are exceptional in the sense that Constantijn and Laurentien don't get paid for representing the monarchy.

Meghan is not cut out for royal life and Harry needs to put his own little family first. I just hope they find a sensible way of becoming financially independent from the crown. So far the signs in that direction don't look good.
Carreen

Mini Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #1299 on: January 08, 2020, 10:12:41 PM »

I can totally understand that Harry wants to lead his own life and doesn't want to remain in William's shadow. If there is something he wants to do and can do it well, why not? He did a great job with the Invictus Games. He can carve out a role for himself. I think the other children of George V also found themselves other things to do than just holding their brothers' train. Royal younger brothers used to have army roles etc. Prince William of Gloucester wished to jump from the royal train, too, if I remember correctly. Sarah Chatto and David Linley work, so do younger members of the BRF. He's closer to the throne than any of him but that's only a numbers game.

And if he wants to break out, why force his wife into a role that clearly is not for her? Maybe that's what attracted him to her - this whiff of a world he doesn't know.

But then, I ask myself whether it was really what he wanted, and how his family must feel about it. They can't reach him any more, it seems, and that must be painful, especially for his grandparents. Maybe I'm too sentimental but I always felt that the Queen quite dotes on him. She appreciates his sense of humour, or at least that's what it seemed to me when they interacted (for example in the clip for Michelle Obama). I don't know whether she can really understand his wish to break free from a golden cage that she has inhabited for decades, where all her family lives in.

What will they do? will she return to acting? how will he raise money for charities if he craves privacy and doesn't represent the royal family any more? They both have lots of money - but also a very expensive lifestyle. I'm sure they thought about it.

His mother, I feel (all speculation anyway), would have supported him. She envisioned a similar role for herself, and had she not died, I can imagine her living in New York or Vancouver, working for charities and breaking every mould to invent a new one.

I wish them all the best. And I hope they can mend fences with the family. Poor Archie will need them in his life, too.
Oh_Caroline

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #1300 on: January 08, 2020, 10:14:43 PM »

Even QE2's daughter, Anne, woks    and presumably earns money while still representing the crown.

Madeleine and her husband full fund their private lives and in 2019 Madeleine only did 17 events over 11 days that were viewed as official and as such that she would have been compensated for.  She's not maintaining an office, etc.

The funding for the Dutch royal family limits allowances to The King, The Queen, Princess Beatrice, and soon The Princess of Orange.  There is also funding for official duties, transport, housing, etc.  Prince Constantijn is not a working royal and as such only rarely carries out engagements, receives no allowance, and doesn't maintain a royal office.

Prince Joachim is in France this year at the invitation of President Macron, and the French Minister of Defense, and is training 6 days a week.  This is an incredible honor and he is the first member of the Danish military to attend.

Anne does 500+ engagements a year and rightly so has an office to oversee her calendar.  She doesn't "earn money" but has her expenses covered.

Harry is a grown man throwing a tantrum.  He wants to have his cake and eat it too.  He wants Duchy of Cornwall money, taxpayer funded housing and security, and full royal honors all while commercializing himself and his wife.  Other's tried to have a "grace period" but nothing to this level...and those others were strong slammed on this board.

Sorry Maria...I know that the Sussex couple is OT but I had to respond.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 10:26:03 PM by Oh_Caroline » Logged
llcd

Baby Member

Brazil Brazil

Ignore
« Reply #1301 on: January 08, 2020, 10:18:27 PM »

Yes, but the Dutch royals are exceptional in the sense that Constantijn and Laurentien don't get paid for representing the monarchy.

Meghan is not cut out for royal life and Harry needs to put his own little family first. I just hope they find a sensible way of becoming financially independent from the crown. So far the signs in that direction don't look good.

Constantijn doesn't get paid for representing the monarchy and I think he has a full time job in Belgium. Friso also had a job and didn't get paid. Besides Harry's military career, he never had any other job.

We can't compare the Dutch and British royals. They work in a different way.
jessmie

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #1302 on: January 08, 2020, 10:22:22 PM »

Good for them. The only thing I will say is that I hope this isn’t a result of a rift between William and Kate and Harry and Meghan. Best of luck to them and I sincerely hope they don’t become celebrity royals.
PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #1303 on: January 08, 2020, 10:33:50 PM »

Even QE2's daughter, Anne, woks    and presumably earns money while still representing the crown.

Madeleine and her husband full fund their private lives and in 2019 Madeleine only did 17 events over 11 days that were viewed as official and as such that she would have been compensated for.  She's not maintaining an office, etc.

The funding for the Dutch royal family limits allowances to The King, The Queen, Princess Beatrice, and soon The Princess of Orange.  There is also funding for official duties, transport, housing, etc.  Prince Constantijn is not a working royal and as such only rarely carries out engagements, receives no allowance, and doesn't maintain a royal office.

Prince Joachim is in France this year at the invitation of President Macron, and the French Minister of Defense, and is training 6 days a week.  This is an incredible honor and he is the first member of the Danish military to attend.

Anne does 500+ engagements a year and rightly so has an office to oversee her calendar.  She doesn't "earn money" but has her expenses covered.

Harry is a grown man throwing a tantrum.  He wants to have his cake and eat it too.  He wants Duchy of Cornwall money, taxpayer funded housing and security, and full royal honors all while commercializing himself and his wife.  Other's tried to have a "grace period" but nothing to this level...and those others were strong slammed on this board.

Sorry Maria...I know that the Sussex couple is OT but I had to respond.

And you did it brilliantly..... Thumb up  Star

Your statment is absolutely accurate, and H&M don't hold up to the comparison of the above mentioned other royals.

CyrilSebastian

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #1304 on: January 08, 2020, 10:52:05 PM »

Will Prince Harry give up the Invictus Games?
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 91   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: