Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wallis Simpson's Fashion&Jewels  (Read 60704 times)
Tinika

Big Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2015, 12:37:55 AM »

I know the severity of her style isn't to everyone's taste but she was extremely beautiful in her youth:

rosella
Banned
Banned
Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2015, 01:06:16 AM »

Do you think so? I think she had striking blue eyes but I'm not sure she was stunning. I think Wallis was always chic and also witty, vivacious and great fun to be with, which attracted males from her school days on.
LaFolie

Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2015, 04:50:04 PM »

I think her earl
I know the severity of her style isn't to everyone's taste but she was extremely beautiful in her youth:

I think that the 'softer' hair styles and fashions of the Edwardian/1910s complimented her own harsher, more angular features. (there are some stunning earlier photos of her - helps that she is really smiling in them - not the smirk of later years)

Obviously this goes against majority (informed!) opinion and conventional wisdom, but I don't think her jewels (gorgeous in themselves) flattered her or that she wore them well.
 Jewels (by their own nature - and in their function as a statement of authority and power) are so hard and cold.  When I come across a picture of a royal blinged out and think "she is working that tiara(etc)" the common theme is that that individual exudes something inviting/softer/more human - a counterpoint or point of contrast to the gems themselves.

All I ever think when I see Wallis' photos is "OMG can you believe that brooch/necklace" whatever.

She lacks magic.

PassMeTheBucket

Warned
Baby Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2015, 11:51:32 PM »

I think Wallis had some mesmerizing pieces. I have pics of them on my computer and have actually tried to have some made jn the same style (the smaller pieces naturally and in inferior materials)

Excuse me while I vomit....
Duchess of Verona

Huge Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2015, 03:07:02 AM »

She had some really spectacular pieces like the flamingo brooch or those huge emeralds. Say whatever you would like about this couple,but he bought her really one of a kind jewels. Smiley
rosella
Banned
Banned
Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2015, 03:18:33 AM »

She had some really spectacular pieces like the flamingo brooch or those huge emeralds. Say whatever you would like about this couple,but he bought her really one of a kind jewels. Smiley

Yes, really gorgeous Art Deco designs. Wasn't there some trouble about Queen Alexandra's jewels which he inherited when he became king? Alexandra had of course left them as she thought to a future Queen Consort when she died in the 1920's. I'm sure I read somewhere that Queen Mary became distressed because she could envisage Alexandra's jewellery being converted for Mrs S.
Celia

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2015, 04:51:54 PM »

Alexandra died intestate.  There was some guessing about Wallis's emeralds, but it's been disproved that they came from Alexandra.
rosella
Banned
Banned
Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2015, 05:43:44 PM »

Alexandra died intestate.  There was some guessing about Wallis's emeralds, but it's been disproved that they came from Alexandra.

I see. Thanks for that, Celia.  Beer I read something about Edward and the jewellery he'd inherited years ago and must have misremembered!
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2019, 11:53:48 PM »

The yellow diamonds of Wallis   
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/839851030488674137
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: