Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Franz-Joseph and Sisi  (Read 36115 times)
pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« on: January 09, 2019, 05:55:27 PM »

For CyrilSebastian
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 11:23:24 PM »

Francis Joseph I was born in Vienna, Austria in 1830. He was the eldest son of Archduke Francis Charles.   
Francis Joseph became Emperor of Austria in 1848. He married Elisabeth, the daughter of Duke Maximilian of Bavaria, in 1854. 
After she turned 32, Empress Elisabeth did not allow anyone to take pictures or paint portraits of her.
Duchess of Verona

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 03:25:32 AM »

Because of aging or some other reason?
griet

Small Member

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 11:22:51 AM »

She was afraid of aging and didn't want people to see her losing her legendary beauty.
pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 07:25:30 PM »

Francis Joseph I was born in Vienna, Austria in 1830. He was the eldest son of Archduke Francis Charles.   
Francis Joseph became Emperor of Austria in 1848. He married Elisabeth, the daughter of Duke Maximilian of Bavaria, in 1854. 
After she turned 32, Empress Elisabeth did not allow anyone to take pictures or paint portraits of her.

As we know by a simple google search.  WHY didn't she allow anyone to take pictures or paint portraits?
Duchess of Suffolk

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 08:48:06 PM »

And started wearing a black veil upon her face as a way to preserve the idea of her young beauty 

pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 09:25:58 PM »

And started wearing a black veil upon her face as a way to preserve the idea of her young beauty 

Whoa.  Sounds like she had some major Karl Lagerfeld-type issues.
Diogenes
Board Helper
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 09:30:47 PM »

Maybe we should say that Sisi had ... um ... issues ... and leave it at that.   Wink
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 09:32:19 PM »

Because of aging or some other reason?

Empress Elisabeth refused to sit for any portraits or photographs because she wanted to be remembered as young and beautiful.
Kaiserin

Gigantic Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2019, 09:32:36 PM »

The first two pics in Duchess of Suffolk's post are from Sisis coronation in Hungary.
The original jewels are lost, but there's a replica set existing:

Quite some carats involved, no?
thecrownjewelthief

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2019, 09:48:49 PM »

Maybe we should say that Sisi had ... um ... issues ... and leave it at that.   Wink

Well now that I've fallen down the rabbit hole of reading about her... what an, um, interesting family.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 10:49:11 PM »

Apparently Sisi also had an unbelieveable tiny waist. According to stories she had sport apparatus in her living quartiers and participated in excessive horse back riding.
Kaiserin

Gigantic Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2019, 11:08:19 PM »

I've read that, too.
She was approx my height (5' 7"), never weighted more than 50 kilos (which means that she was dangerously underweight her whole adult life) and her waist was (with the help of a corset, for sure) at it's tiniest at 16", usually at around  18"/19" *).
That's Scarlett O'Hara territory ... and Sisi had 4 (!) children.
I was down to 49 kilo once in my life, when I was very ill, and couldn't imagine for the life of me to be in that state for 40+ years ...

___
*) why is that known? Apparently, she had her hairdresser keeping books on her measures on a daily basis - weight, sizes of bust, waist, hip, thigh circumference ... really obsessed with her body. And her hair which was almost floor length at one time. Took a day to wash and dry that mass.
It's said that during the hours when her hair was done, she learnt languages. She was obviously, amongst others, fluent in Greek - that good that she even translated Shakespeare dramas to Greek.

She's an interesting object to google on. No wonder she became a myth.
It's a pity that she didn't allow to be photographed in her later years (for vanity reasons, as it's said, no one should see her beauty vanishing) - so there's also almost no photos of her jewellery, too, although photography was becoming very "en vogue" in late 19th century.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2019, 11:21:28 PM »

Today in the local library I skipped a book about Sisi's brother-in law & sister-in law: archduke Maximilian (the later emperor of Mexico) and his wife archduchess Charlotte (née princess of Belgium). I remembered stories that character wise Maximilian would have been a better match for Sisi then his older brother. And that Charlotte had been put up as an example of a proper educated and behaving royal bride and wife then Sisi. Well okay in the end Charlotte went a bit mad, but most of the previous player were no witnesses of that. The book is BTW on my TBR pile in my head  Wink
Marieke

Warned
Mini Member

Belgium Belgium

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2019, 06:02:47 AM »

When I was a child my interest in royals grew because of the movies of Sisi. I absolutely loved the dresses and later I became interested in the real Sisi. I've read some books about her and also one about Charlotte. I've read that her diet was really strict. That she drunk the juice that came of the meat, instead of eating the meat. Her exercise routine was extreme. She took her ladies-in-waiting on daily walking tours for hours and hours and hours. Some of her ladies-in-waitings couldn't handle that so I think she had one or two just for walking with her. She couldn't care if it was hot or raining. And she loved horseback riding. In Hofburg palace ( were she hardly lived because she hated it there) you can see the gymnastic equipment placed there for her. The people that worked at the palace didn't know how to react when they saw their empress hanging upside down. The reason that many of her jewels are gone is that she gave a lot of them away after Rudolf died in 1889. From that moment she wore only black clothes and jewels with black stones. She also was so obsessed about looks that she had books with pictures of the most beautiful women from her time, from actresses to other royals like Empress Eugenie of France.
I've read too that there was some confusion about the nickname 'Sisi'. Presumably she would not have been called 'Sisi' but 'Lisi'. People mistook the 'L' for an 'S' in her handwriting and that's how 'Sisi' was born.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: