Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Franz-Joseph and Sisi  (Read 36120 times)
Miss Marple

Humongous Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: January 05, 2020, 07:45:50 PM »

Based on stories about  Ludwig  and his brother Otto I wonder if the Wittelsbachs (in particular the mainline) were prone to mental illnesses as bipolar, depression and so on.

Sisi clearly suffered from some disorder, I am not sure if you can call it mental illness. She could not emotionally connect to anything - not to her husband (who was stuck in Austria), to a place, to her children, to her role as empress, her family (never went to her dad's funeral) ... She seemed to be running without real meaning.

She was 15 when she met FJ and the engagement was announced two days later (!). That was how it was done back then and nobody could see that she would not be able to adapt to any of the roles life had for her (mother, wife, empress ....). In fairness I think she tried initially until she gave birth to a son and got so overwhelmed that she tried to escape and went to different places just to be away from it all.

She also did not have a good connection to herself. I remember I once read in a biography that a doctor was called because she was feeling so bad - she weighted only 47kg and the doctor told her that she was suffering from the "poor people disease" - hunger - she did not perceive her body starving and went on losing weight until it got really critically.
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: January 15, 2020, 11:01:49 PM »

William Coleman designed an English Minton service depicting colorful birds, sea creatures, insects, and plants. Empress Elisabeth gave this service to Emperor Francis Joseph for his hunting lodge at Offensee.
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: February 14, 2020, 10:49:08 PM »

Mayor Richard Weiskirchner of Vienna welcomed Emperor Francis Joseph after Francis Joseph's return from Bad Isch two days after the declaration of war Austria-Hungary against Serbia.     
http://www.gettyimages.com/license/56457502
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: March 08, 2020, 11:03:01 PM »

In 1865 Empress Elisabeth riding a horse. She is hiding her face behind a fan.   
http://www.gettyimages.com/license/89778060
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: March 21, 2020, 07:56:24 PM »

Emperor Francis Joseph I, Archduke Charles, and Charles' son, Archduke Otto     
http://www.gettyimages.com/license/104403074
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: March 31, 2020, 11:12:33 PM »

Various pictures of "The Real Sissi"   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnsSNPyp3yo
fruela

Medium Member

Spain Spain

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: April 02, 2020, 12:16:03 AM »

And a few more

https://youtu.be/e3UQaKJFcgQ
Gemsheal

Small Member

I make all my memes

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: April 02, 2020, 01:31:24 AM »

Emperor Francis Joseph I, Archduke Charles, and Charles' son, Archduke Otto     
http://www.gettyimages.com/license/104403074

The date Getty Images used is wrong.  Otto was born in 1912 so it couldn't be "around 1900".

My fondest childhood memory is ... not having to pay bills and taxes 🤓
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: April 02, 2020, 08:20:52 PM »

fruela, Thank you! I noticed that some of Elisabeth's hats had veils.
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: April 15, 2020, 01:30:57 AM »

In Vienna Emperor Franz Joseph, in 1857, ordered the construction of the Ringstrasse, lined with a series of immense buildings. The process took more than thirty years to complete.
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: April 29, 2020, 01:55:59 AM »

Empress Elisabeth did not think that Princess Stephanie of Belgium was good enough for Crown Prince Rudolph because the Belgian monarchy had existed only since 1830.
Kristallinchen

Humongous Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: April 29, 2020, 08:28:34 AM »

Empress Elisabeth did not think that Princess Stephanie of Belgium was good enough for Crown Prince Rudolph because the Belgian monarchy had existed only since 1830.

That and she found her ugly as did numerous Viennese court ladies, who whispered behind her back.

Poor Stephanie didn't have it easy.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: June 02, 2020, 10:08:59 AM »

According to the stories I have heard, Sisi's sister-in-law, the tragic Princess Charlotte of Belgium, was held as an example against Sisi.

Wikipedia:

In her youth, Charlotte resembled her mother, and was noted to be a beauty, possessing delicate features. Combined with her status as the only daughter of King Leopold, she was a desirable bride. On July 27, 1857, Charlotte married her second cousin Archduke Maximilian of Austria in Brussels, the idealistic younger brother of Emperor Franz Joseph I of Austria.  Napoleon III gave Charlotte and her husband Maximilian a beautiful bisque bust of Charlotte as a wedding gift. In the Court of Vienna she was much prized by her mother-in-law, Princess Sophie, who saw in her the perfect example of a wife to an Austrian Archduke. This contributed to the strained relationship between Charlotte and Empress Elisabeth of Austria, wife of Franz Joseph, whom Sophie treated rather cruelly. It is said that Charlotte disliked the deep connection that existed between Elisabeth and Maximilian, who were confidantes and shared the same tastes for many things, especially because her sister-in-law was universally admired for her beauty and charms.

Wondering if this added to the dislike Elisabeth had of her daughter in law Stephanie.
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: June 24, 2020, 12:03:26 AM »

How well did Crown Prince Rudolph get along with his paternal grandfather Archduke Francis Charles?
Kristallinchen

Humongous Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: June 24, 2020, 03:31:43 PM »

How well did Crown Prince Rudolph get along with his paternal grandfather Archduke Francis Charles?

They practically had no real contact. He and his sister Gisela though loved their grandmother Sophie and were devasted by her death.

Rudolf didn't have much people he truly felt at ease with. One was his grandmother (died in 1872), the other was his elder sister (married in 1873)...his mother was practically always absent and his father was a total different character. So his was more or less left alone at a young age.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: