Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Franz-Joseph and Sisi  (Read 43516 times)
Paulina

Huge Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2019, 11:34:01 PM »

Speaking of Sisi, on the flight back from India, I watched a movie called Three Days in Quiberon, a German movie with some French and English about Romy Schneider's three days in a spa in Brittany. It's in black and white and apparently some of the last photographs and interview of her was there. I'd never heard of her before, but I enjoyed the movie and got interested in Romy Schneider. I saw some pictures and it seems the actress who played her got a lot right. Such a tragic life.
Carreen

Mini Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2019, 12:28:23 AM »

Oh, I didn't see that movie yet. Romy was remembered - some months ago, it would have been her 80th birthday. Hard to believe. What a sad life. Sisi never really left her - I didn't see Visconti's movie about Bavarian king Louis II, Sisi's cousin, where Romy Schneider played a much more adult and difficult Sisi.

Is there a better and newer biography than my good old Hamann book? I must have bought it when I was 12 or 13... expected of course to find the lovely doll of the Marishka movies and then discovered that life can be so difficult and sad....

I'd also love to go to Korfu and see the Achilleion.

In spite of everything, she was a fascinating personality, not only because of her beauty. She resisted her role in her very own way.

cordtx

Warned
Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2019, 12:42:22 AM »

Can anyone recommend the best biography of Sisi?
esther angeline

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2019, 02:34:10 AM »

Who was Romy?
cordtx

Warned
Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2019, 02:49:34 AM »

Beautiful actress born in Vienna.
Sisi was her most famous role.
My cousin is named after her
CyrilSebastian

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2019, 04:27:41 AM »

CyrilSebastian, AD Sophie was a mentally unstable control freak who wore the pants in the family. It was her idea to have her even more unstable husband renounce the thrown in favor of their son Franz Joseph. She was the power behind the throne during his minority and refused to let that control go. A sixteen-year-old from the provinces didn't stand a chance against her, plus Sisi's own mother was Sophie's sister and she supported her sister's restrictions on her daughter. They were all inbred Hapsburgs when it comes down to it, with all the issues that brings with it.
[/quote]       

karma chamelion, You mentioned that Archduchess Sophie had her husband Francis Charles renounce the throne. However, if Francis Charles had become Emperor of Austria, Sophie would have become Empress of Austria. How could Sophie possibly bypass the position of being Empress of Austria?
Paulina

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2019, 04:41:32 AM »

Who was Romy?

A Viennese actress from the 1950s, 60s, and  70s (she died in 1981 or 1982). Her mother was an actress during the war and pushed her daughter, whose career started as a young teen. They were in some movies together. Eventually, feeling trapped by the Sisi role, she moved to France and acted in French movies and had more mature roles. She also was with Alain Delon for a number of years and apparently they were lifelong friends. Her husband committed suicide and her 14 year old son died by impaling himself on one of those pointy wrought iron fences climbing into his grandparents yard. She died a year later. She was very, very beautiful. Classic looking.
karma chamelion

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2019, 04:51:19 AM »

Can anyone recommend the best biography of Sisi?

The one that got me started was 'The Reluctant Empress' by Brigitte Hamann.

Once you get a good background understanding of Sisi you might want to try books by her neice, Countess Marie Larisch von Moennich that include autobiographies of the authoress called 'My Life' and 'Secrets of a Royal House'. She isn't a reputable source, but they are interesting reads none-the-less, and include a lot of intrigue and Viennese court gossip regarding Prince Rudolph and Mary Vetsera who was a protege for lack of a better word of Countess Larisch.

CyrilSebastian, AD Sophie was a mentally unstable control freak who wore the pants in the family. It was her idea to have her even more unstable husband renounce the thrown in favor of their son Franz Joseph. She was the power behind the throne during his minority and refused to let that control go. A sixteen-year-old from the provinces didn't stand a chance against her, plus Sisi's own mother was Sophie's sister and she supported her sister's restrictions on her daughter. They were all inbred Hapsburgs when it comes down to it, with all the issues that brings with it.

karma chamelion, You mentioned that Archduchess Sophie had her husband Francis Charles renounce the throne. However, if Francis Charles had become Emperor of Austria, Sophie would have become Empress of Austria. How could Sophie possibly bypass the position of being Empress of Austria?
[/quote]

That's a very good question, I believe she thought she would have more influence with Franz Joseph than with her husband, and also that he would be a more successful monarch since he didn't outwardly suffer from the mental handicaps that his father and uncle did.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 04:56:54 AM by karma chamelion » Logged
cordtx

Warned
Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2019, 05:54:21 AM »

Thanks karma
karma chamelion

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2019, 06:24:54 AM »

Thanks karma

yw cordtx Hug
She was an interesting woman, very flawed but a beautiful soul. I hope you enjoy reading about her.
Kaiserin

Gigantic Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2019, 10:09:25 AM »

Or maybe syphilis. That would explain the mental issues too

That's the one.
It would explain why she refused to be photographed later in life. I can imagine the consequences of such a disease on such a vain woman would have been unbearable.
(....l

You mix that up. It was Sisi & Franz Joseph' son Rudolph, who gave HIS wife Stephanie the syphilis.
Rudolph is the one who later took his life together with his mistress in Mayerling.

Sisis herself was rumoured to have tuberculosis, that's why she made extended travels to warmer climate / fresh air. Plus she simply couldn't stand to be
in Vienna at Hofburg so every excuse tot leave was good.
karma chamelion

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2019, 06:47:14 PM »

Or maybe syphilis. That would explain the mental issues too

That's the one.
It would explain why she refused to be photographed later in life. I can imagine the consequences of such a disease on such a vain woman would have been unbearable.
(....l

You mix that up. It was Sisi & Franz Joseph' son Rudolph, who gave HIS wife Stephanie the syphilis.
Rudolph is the one who later took his life together with his mistress in Mayerling.

Sisis herself was rumoured to have tuberculosis, that's why she made extended travels to warmer climate / fresh air. Plus she simply couldn't stand to be
in Vienna at Hofburg so every excuse tot leave was good.

I've read in a number of books that she had an STD from FJ and that was one of the reasons for her leaving court. Of course we can never know for sure, and the official reason for her travels was just 'for her health'. I've never read that she had TB. All my books are put away or I'd look it up to give a direct quote.

And yes, definitely Rudolph had one from all accounts, which only added to his mental instability.
Kaiserin

Gigantic Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2019, 07:35:41 PM »

You might be right just as well, karma  Hug.

I just thought that if Franz Joseph II (who had indeed Mistresses even before the Schratt) had the disease and had passed it on to Sisi, she would have passed it on further to (all) her children during her pregnancies? Or she wouldn't even had 4 children?

___

As for why Sophie didn't want to become Empress herself - usually, as the wife, she would have had to keep off politics. Her husband obviously was a dimwitted idiot, who would have "reigned" through advisors.
By making her (then not of age) son the Emperor, she could "guide" him and had much more influence than she ever would have had as the wife of the emperor.

___

As for Romy Schneider ... tragic life.
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2019, 10:20:56 PM »

Well where to start:
Sisi and her illnesses:
It is rather inconceivable that she suffered from either tuberculosis or from any STD (Syphilis has been rumored mainly because of her son's disease and the prevalence at that time). Neither disease would have allowed her to live to 62 in relative health. (her husband rumored to have given her the STD lived to +-82, and it is almost impossible that he should have had syphilis).
More likely would have been depression, anxiety, psychosomatic problems that resulted in a serious eating disorder.

Sisi's unwillingness to have her picture taken:
 there have always been rumors that due to her eating disorder she quite often suffered from hunger oedemas and eczemas, that possibly affected her face so that she preferred to wear a veil to hide behind.
Several other sources have hinted at dental problems (again possibly triggered by the bulimia - the regurgitation of stomach contents with gastric acid is rather hard on the teeth and the anorexia and very strange diet, that caused malnutrition which combined with multiple pregnancies would have robbed the body of much needed calcium and Vitamin D), so that a loss of teeth is possible.

On the other hand, biographies (such as the one written by her niece Marie von Wallersee, who first was a favorite and close to her, then later on after the Mayerling tragedy a persona non grata at the court and who by the time of the book had no reason to hold back) and letters of contemporaries (such as the letters of the gossipy Victoria of Prussia to her gossipy mother Victoria of GB) made no mention of any decline of Sisi's famed beauty. The very last picture of her shows a normal looking woman without any facial malformations.

Personally I think she hated growing old(er) and since she was quite obsessed with her physical appearance that was difficult to take. Plus she travelled excessively and preferred to do so incognito, so the less her face was known in public the better to do so.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2019, 10:53:47 PM »

Who was Romy?

Romy Schneider, the Austrian actress who played at a young age in the well known Sissi trilogy movies and a Queen Victoria movie. BTW with her mother Magda Schneider, who played Sisi's mother duchess Ludovika in Bavaria (née princess Ludovika of Bavaria) in the Sissi trilogy.

Romy Schneider never came loose of the sugar sweet Sissi role, and had a rather tragic life herself.
As also mentioned here in this topic, Romy would play an older and more in dept Sisi in a movie about Ludwig II of Bavaria. In real life Sisi and Ludwig were cousins, and I have heard Ludwig had a sort of obsession with his cousin. Later he would be engaged for a while to Sisi's younger sister Sophie (?). But the engagemen tg is cancelled.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romy_Schneider
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: