Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 59   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: News and photos William and Kate 2019  (Read 113136 times)
Vava

Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: May 10, 2019, 08:55:43 PM »

I don't like that jacket with the poofy pockets and I hate those boots.  I don't like the other boots she wore with the cheap looking red blazer, either.  At least the poofy pocket jacket was longer and the skinny jeans didn't look too bad with it, but that red blazer (if it's worn again and I hope it isn't) should be paired with a loser trouser and not skin tight jeans.  And those black suede boots really look dated.
Kitty

Warned
Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: May 11, 2019, 08:38:15 PM »

I think this new initiative is great, but I wonder, how it is that Diana got more things done charity wise as a royal than today's younger royals? Remember in 87 when Diana touched an AIDS patient and she also contributed in ending the stigma of AIDS?

Because they do many things with only short term plans not a few big things with long terms plans.  Head Together launched in May 2016 and was only supposed to continue until the 2017 London Marathon.  Now this new idea...while good...is only at this point a call for a huge amount of untrained volunteers.  It will be months before impact can be measured...positive or negative, number of people helped, and what the impact is on volunteers. 

It's great to want to "end the stigma", "start conservations", and "guide people towards mental health services" but it doesn't fix a system that is broken at its core and the 3M that's being spent on this initiative could support 100's of hours of charity hours that already try to provide counseling.

I get what they're trying to do (I think) and I get that the politics are complicated but I'm not at all convinced that Heads Together has had a positive impact on the mental health sector as a whole. 

If more people are seeking help but the system is overburdened and can't help them than has Heads Together really helped anyone?
I am just so confused at what they are doing.
Oh_Caroline

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: May 11, 2019, 10:24:41 PM »

I think this new initiative is great, but I wonder, how it is that Diana got more things done charity wise as a royal than today's younger royals? Remember in 87 when Diana touched an AIDS patient and she also contributed in ending the stigma of AIDS?

Because they do many things with only short term plans not a few big things with long terms plans.  Head Together launched in May 2016 and was only supposed to continue until the 2017 London Marathon.  Now this new idea...while good...is only at this point a call for a huge amount of untrained volunteers.  It will be months before impact can be measured...positive or negative, number of people helped, and what the impact is on volunteers. 

It's great to want to "end the stigma", "start conservations", and "guide people towards mental health services" but it doesn't fix a system that is broken at its core and the 3M that's being spent on this initiative could support 100's of hours of charity hours that already try to provide counseling.

I get what they're trying to do (I think) and I get that the politics are complicated but I'm not at all convinced that Heads Together has had a positive impact on the mental health sector as a whole. 

If more people are seeking help but the system is overburdened and can't help them than has Heads Together really helped anyone?
I am just so confused at what they are doing.

In general...not much.  With this...I'm 99% sure much less than they want us to believe.  After more research it is my belief/understanding that Shout is not modeled after Crisis Text Line but in fact is Crisis Text Line UK just renamed.  It appears that the the Foundation too many names is merely one of the funders of CTL's expansion into the UK.  Yes this is a wonderful service and have the Foursome supporting it is very good but this is not something newly developed.  CTL is working on global expansion...and is actively planning expansion to Ireland (later in 2019), Australia, South Africa (later in 2019), and Latin America.

https://www.crisistextline.org/
https://www.crisistextline.uk/
Ellie

Warned
Humongous Member

wannabe Lesbaru driver

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: May 12, 2019, 12:11:47 AM »

So they are taking credit for something they didn't create or do much with, just donated some money. Good Lord.
Kitty

Warned
Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: May 12, 2019, 01:18:03 AM »

So they are taking credit for something they didn't create or do much with, just donated some money. Good Lord.
My question is do you think after The Queen is gone that the monarchy and the royals will not be as popular? Will and Kate are the future they need to start doing charities and proving themselves now.
Oh_Caroline

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: May 12, 2019, 01:50:45 AM »

My question is do you think after The Queen is gone that the monarchy and the royals will not be as popular? Will and Kate are the future they need to start doing charities and proving themselves now.

Totally less popular.  The younger generation needs to start doing bread and butter stuff...hospitals, nursing homes, ribbon cuttings, etc.  IMVHO the foundation is a mistake because all they do is group charities together under a group name and take credit for all that they do.  None of the younger generation is service minded.  Even Williams air ambulance thing was a bad idea...they needed to get a two pilot helicopter, train him, and then all he did was two years...it was just a way to put off royal duties for 4 years (left SAS in September 2013 and EAAA in July 2017).  And SAS kept going until late 2015...so he could have just seen that out until it's end.

The BRF doesn't doing well with strategic planning.  Yes William is 2nd in line but the monarch is 93 and the heir in 70.  At nearly 37 William is woefully unprepared and most of his positive PR depends on the affection held for his grandmother and mother.  Both of the world's youngest current monarchs (Qatar and Bhutan) are just 2 years older than William.  William could have 30 years before he's king or 30 days...no one knows.  But I doubt that he and Kate will suddenly turn into the family workhorses the moment they are the heir couple...while they are doing better their performance is still weak and a lot of the good feelings are because of the other young couple being (interest choice word here).  Yes they have young kids and yes she has been on maternity leave...he has not.
Ghost

Small Member

Romania Romania

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: May 12, 2019, 02:34:04 AM »

They did clearly say that it is modeled after an American model.
Hermione

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: May 12, 2019, 08:46:32 AM »

The younger generation needs to start doing bread and butter stuff...hospitals, nursing homes, ribbon cuttings, etc. 

I agree with you. The younger royals are being far too selective with their patronages. It's fine to have one area / field that you want to make your "main cause" (e.g. mental health) and that you want to be personally involved in. But not all patronages require personal involvement. Sometimes it's just fine to show up, cut a ribbon, smile and that's it. There are hundreds of other worthy charities / organizations that deserve recognition.
Ellie

Warned
Humongous Member

wannabe Lesbaru driver

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: May 12, 2019, 09:26:01 AM »

They did not say they basically renamed and took credit for an organization that already existed, they said they created it themselves. Again they have a habit of taking credit for the hard work of others.

re: engagements, it is amazing hearing how a royal visiting a village, a business, a community is a sense of pride, and belonging, for the people. It gives them media attention, especially for rural communities or inner city areas that are hurting. It makes people happy. Ditching those means you are giving the finger to your own people, if you ask me.
Kitty

Warned
Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: May 12, 2019, 04:12:18 PM »

Totally less popular.  The younger generation needs to start doing bread and butter stuff...hospitals, nursing homes, ribbon cuttings, etc.  IMVHO the foundation is a mistake because all they do is group charities together under a group name and take credit for all that they do.  None of the younger generation is service minded.  Even Williams air ambulance thing was a bad idea...they needed to get a two pilot helicopter, train him, and then all he did was two years...it was just a way to put off royal duties for 4 years (left SAS in September 2013 and EAAA in July 2017).  And SAS kept going until late 2015...so he could have just seen that out until it's end.

The BRF doesn't doing well with strategic planning.  Yes William is 2nd in line but the monarch is 93 and the heir in 70.  At nearly 37 William is woefully unprepared and most of his positive PR depends on the affection held for his grandmother and mother.  Both of the world's youngest current monarchs (Qatar and Bhutan) are just 2 years older than William.  William could have 30 years before he's king or 30 days...no one knows.  But I doubt that he and Kate will suddenly turn into the family workhorses the moment they are the heir couple...while they are doing better their performance is still weak and a lot of the good feelings are because of the other young couple being (interest choice word here).  Yes they have young kids and yes she has been on maternity leave...he has not.
The bread and butter is SOOO important because you get to meet a diverse group of people. Its no wonder why The Queen and the Late Diana are/were hugely popular. If they do away with that, then whats the point of monarchies?
A Citizen not a Subject

Warned
Medium Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: May 12, 2019, 06:28:05 PM »

Are W&K at the BAFTAs tonight? I assume not, or we'd have heard, but I think they should go to the TV part, and not just the film part where the Hollywood stars turn up.

I live in hope that one day I will be able to elect my Head of State.
Oh_Caroline

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: May 12, 2019, 08:16:35 PM »

Are W&K at the BAFTAs tonight? I assume not, or we'd have heard, but I think they should go to the TV part, and not just the film part where the Hollywood stars turn up.

I doubt it and I totally agree.
ralf103

Large Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: May 12, 2019, 08:55:49 PM »

Although the younger royals are dismissive of the "bread and butter" engagements that the other royals traditionally take on, visiting all parts of the UK weekly, this is how the average person in the UK can feel connected with the royals - the possibility of them appearing in their town/factory/hospital etc.

Of course the Royals can stay in London and appear on social media etc and get a bigger audience with global reach but its the average person on the street who pays for the royals and who's support keeps them in their place and palace.

If the future of the monarchy is to dial back the "bread and butter" engagements the public will soon tire of these posh London based royals appealing to the world rather than their people.
Kitty

Warned
Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: May 12, 2019, 09:59:26 PM »

Although the younger royals are dismissive of the "bread and butter" engagements that the other royals traditionally take on, visiting all parts of the UK weekly, this is how the average person in the UK can feel connected with the royals - the possibility of them appearing in their town/factory/hospital etc.

Of course the Royals can stay in London and appear on social media etc and get a bigger audience with global reach but its the average person on the street who pays for the royals and who's support keeps them in their place and palace.

If the future of the monarchy is to dial back the "bread and butter" engagements the public will soon tire of these posh London based royals appealing to the world rather than their people.
Why do they want to appeal to the world or global outreach when in fact they are the most famous royals/monarchy in the world already. It doesn't make sense.
PruNordstrom

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #239 on: May 13, 2019, 04:12:11 AM »

This is long. Apologize. However Miguel Head said the same thing in an interview with the Harvard Gazette.

The bread and butter is SOOO important because you get to meet a diverse group of people. Its no wonder why The Queen and the Late Diana are/were hugely popular. If they do away with that, then whats the point of monarchies?

... re: engagements, it is amazing hearing how a royal visiting a village, a business, a community is a sense of pride, and belonging, for the people. It gives them media attention, especially for rural communities or inner city areas that are hurting. It makes people happy. Ditching those means you are giving the finger to your own people, if you ask me.

...If the future of the monarchy is to dial back the "bread and butter" engagements the public will soon tire of these posh London based royals appealing to the world rather than their people.

This is what Miguel Head said in an interview with the Harvard Gazette:
British newspapers...they’ve become more and more bunkered into London and that makes them more unresponsive to these big changes that are happening in the country. Which, in turn, leads people outside of London to feel they’re not part of the national story anymore, except as crime or sports stories. There are lots of people who didn’t feel they were part of that story — economically, politically, socially, culturally — led by a kind of London elite, and that causes a lot of resentment and anger.

The royal family doesn’t have a formal strategy or job description. It does what it does through a set of values that it holds true to itself. Those values have been set by the queen... and her remarkably successful reign. And one of those that the queen puts a lot of store by is that the royal family are there for what we used to describe as being in “the happiness business.”

We’re [the Royal Family] there to celebrate success and to put a spotlight on people who have done great things. That can be as a caregiver or someone’s who campaigned for a sports hall in their town or it can be a Nobel Prize laureate. It can be anything in between all of those things. The royal family takes great delight and spends a lot of time searching out those things to celebrate them. It’s probably the biggest guide for when we were looking how to fill the program, that was the thing by which we operated.

Source: news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2019/04/former-press-secretary-to-william-and-harry-dishes/

---So I presume that what RDers have said reflects what Miguel saw and worked on while he was private secretary. The question is do the brothers' secretaries look at this the same way? Are the younger royals going to stick with their 'local' engagements because their children are under 10 yrs old? Are the previous generations of royals expected to do this country-wide work leaving the younger ones to do international engagements to places they want to visit?

IMO I understand why Kate wants to stay local as much as possible with the children. But her position isn't middle-class mum. There are times when her position requires that the children be left in care of trusted people while she accompanies her husband to engagements away from home base. Neither she nor her husband should expect that the life that K had is the model they emulate because the couple must be seen and heard in places away from London to be believed. And they need to do it often enough to be embraced by all the citizens, not just their generation and those younger. He will be king of all the people not just some of the people. In that regard he won't have the freedom that his younger brother does. Does he know that? Does he embrace it?

The only thing most people do better than anyone else is read their own handwriting.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 59   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: