Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 301 302 [303] 304 305 ... 310   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: News and photos William and Kate  (Read 728883 times)
TLLK

Most Exalted Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #4530 on: January 13, 2021, 03:32:22 PM »

If its really a question of Boris Johnson vs Nicola Sturgeon, I pity W&K. Its not like its solely their choice to go on trips or not, nor would it be easy for them to say no if the prime minister says yes. When ordinary people are told not to travel or their movements are restricted in general, its not a good look when people in power break those restrictions. If not on W&K, then not on Boris or Nicola either.
:star:Maria IMO it's good to keep in mind that the members of the BRF who are official representatives of the UK have to follow Westminster's orders for domestic and foreign engagements. Those that choose to go "off script" well...probably don't fare well afterwards.
Lady Willoughby

Warned
Gigantic Member

Circa Regna Tonat

Ignore
« Reply #4531 on: January 13, 2021, 03:36:19 PM »

Sturgeon and her advisors want Scotland to be under a hard lockdown for another year presumably as they are idiots going for 'Zero Covid'. Scotland will no longer exist soon enough, economically, with those policies. They have a lot more to worry about internally than William and Kate visiting - like no economy, no business, no tourism, no nothing.

Two people traveling multiple countries in direct defiance of guidelines and advice is, imo, something to worry about.

And Westminster okayed it, so clearly it was alright. I bet you a million bucks Sturgeon said no because she does the opposite of Westminster.

Not like any of these guidelines or lockdowns are made with rationality, life, and science in mind but panic, authoritarian control, and - in Scotland - to one-up BoJo.

It's not "alright" to travel in the middle of a pandemic, with lockdowns in place, to various areas throughout the UK. Sturgeon advised against it it because it was the right thing to do and, despite some missteps, she's been a better leader than anyone in BoJo's govt.

Star agree with everything, sal89.

If I remember it right the only thing Sturgeon said is that they updated the royal household on what's happening and what the rules are in Scotland for them to make the decision. From what I recall, she didn't really say anything against the trip and it was all the press that started twisting it to serve their own agenda. The problem is, people tend to only read headlines, not the actual words someone said. Or maybe I just missed something she said, would appreciate someone posting the article/video with her own words.
And Sturgeon has definitely shown more leadership than Boris in all of this.

W&K were hardly selfish tourists on a pleasure tour and I think we all recognize the difference here in regards to intentions, but I thought immediately upon the news of their travels on this tour that they were being set up for criticism just like this, especially when it came to Scotland.

Maria
Administrator
Most Exalted Member

« Reply #4532 on: January 13, 2021, 03:58:37 PM »

They could probably have said no, if this was a government move. I think it would have been difficult, especially with a PM like Boris Johnson in charge. OTOH the government(s) could have said no too, if it was a BRF move. Royals tend to be rather blind about how they occasionally misuse their positions but in this case the fight is IMO plainly political. Either way W&K arent exactly those in charge here and easy targets for what is very obviously a political feud between England and Scotland.
sal89

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #4533 on: January 13, 2021, 10:36:50 PM »

Kensington Palace could have said no, full stop. In fact, they were the ones who pushed the narrative that it was W&K's idea to do this trip. So, if we are to believe that, then they and advisors went ahead with the trip despite multiple governmental officials telling them not to.

Additionally, at this time, only "essential travel" was allowed. While we could argue that things like this are their "job", there's hardly a strong argument of that this trip could be classified as "essential".
TLLK

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #4534 on: January 14, 2021, 12:20:45 AM »

They could probably have said no, if this was a government move. I think it would have been difficult, especially with a PM like Boris Johnson in charge. OTOH the government(s) could have said no too, if it was a BRF move. Royals tend to be rather blind about how they occasionally misuse their positions but in this case the fight is IMO plainly political. Either way W&K arent exactly those in charge here and easy targets for what is very obviously a political feud between England and Scotland.
I agree that it was clearly a political move  and for any royal it can't be easy to be stuck in the middle of that type of situation IMHO. Crap
Aubiette

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #4535 on: January 14, 2021, 01:14:27 AM »

CC

13th January, 2021
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Joint Patrons, the Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, this afternoon spoke via video link to emergency responders and representatives from Hospice UKs Just B counselling and bereavement support line.
Maria
Administrator
Most Exalted Member

« Reply #4536 on: January 14, 2021, 08:27:48 AM »

Kensington Palace could have said no, full stop. In fact, they were the ones who pushed the narrative that it was W&K's idea to do this trip. So, if we are to believe that, then they and advisors went ahead with the trip despite multiple governmental officials telling them not to.

Additionally, at this time, only "essential travel" was allowed. While we could argue that things like this are their "job", there's hardly a strong argument of that this trip could be classified as "essential".

Who cares about the narrative. If Boris said go and Nicola said no they were stuck between a rock and a hard place and its hard to imagine theyd listen to her over him, even if it just by default would probably always make more sense.

If it was solely up to KP and W&K it was an off choice IMO but its not like theyre the only ones making those in these situations and hopefully they will have learned from it. Personally I think they (and the BRF) have mostly handled the corona period fairly well. YMMV.
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #4537 on: January 14, 2021, 08:59:31 AM »

It certainly would have been better and safer for all around if they had stayed put like the lockdown orders required them. However I could imagine that KP (and in Extension BP) was afraid of some backslash a la "where were  the Royals in those hard times? Hiding in their Castles and Palaces from the virus and their people instead of going out - yeah and risking their safety and health for their people like a good leader does"
The Royal Family has got a lot of critizism for not showing up at events - even though at that time a royal visit might have endangered or harmed more than the royal boost could help. Aberfan comes to mind. On the other hand the QueenMum's iconic visit to the Eastend directly after the Blitz was hailed a triumph for the RF....

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
luvcharles

Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #4538 on: January 14, 2021, 09:59:54 AM »

The UK wasn't in lock down when they did this train visit.

Scotland was open to people from the rest of the UK for essential visits. The question is whether morale boosting visits is an essential visit.

Travel around the rest of the UK was OK at the time of this tour.

Maria
Administrator
Most Exalted Member

« Reply #4539 on: January 14, 2021, 11:29:18 AM »

I also think its the situation afterwards that makes the trip look like a bad choice. No one could have predicted the mutation though, or at least that it would come from Kent. Had that one not emerged, and the virus stabilised in hindsight the trip would have looked less controversial than now, where it seems mostly unnecessary. I think that goes for the choices of many, many people. As I understand it numbers have risen exponentially because people met up for Christmas. No one could have known. I think this clearly impacts on how we feel everyone should have acted earlier.
luvcharles

Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #4540 on: January 14, 2021, 11:35:24 AM »

Star

Well said Maria.
Ghost

Small Member

Romania Romania

Ignore
« Reply #4541 on: January 14, 2021, 01:25:12 PM »

I think theyve been used at least twice: once par BoJo and Sturgeon in their oneupmanship and afterwards to make noise to cover the result of their own mistakes, if the lack of insight is counted as a mistake.
Aubiette

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #4542 on: January 15, 2021, 11:36:53 PM »

Bereavement is never easy, especially for frontline workers during these unprecedented times.

It is so important to have services like Just 'B', who provide a listening ear for those coping with the loss of colleagues, loved ones, and people they care for.

For frontline workers looking for support, call 0300 303 4434, which is free, confidential and available daily from 8am - 8pm or visit OurFrontline.org

Video in tweet

https://twitter.com/kensi.../1350208871214804998?s=21
Aubiette

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #4543 on: January 16, 2021, 12:06:02 AM »

Rebecca English article detailing more info on the video call, the initiative, funding, etc.

https://www.dailymail.co....__twitter_impression=true
Rita

Ginormous Member

love..

Ignore
« Reply #4544 on: January 16, 2021, 08:34:07 PM »

It certainly would have been better and safer for all around if they had stayed put like the lockdown orders required them. However I could imagine that KP (and in Extension BP) was afraid of some backslash a la "where were  the Royals in those hard times? Hiding in their Castles and Palaces from the virus and their people instead of going out - yeah and risking their safety and health for their people like a good leader does"
The Royal Family has got a lot of critizism for not showing up at events - even though at that time a royal visit might have endangered or harmed more than the royal boost could help. Aberfan comes to mind. On the other hand the QueenMum's iconic visit to the Eastend directly after the Blitz was hailed a triumph for the RF....
DITTO
 they were in lose lose situation whatever they chose to do.
i still think the Train tour was a lovely idea and was successful.

Pages: 1 ... 301 302 [303] 304 305 ... 310   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: