Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 317   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: News and photos William and Kate  (Read 772563 times)
perdie

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #4575 on: January 25, 2021, 09:27:48 PM »

This Burns Night, weíve teamed up with @NHSCharities to provide staff at @NHSTayside with a Burns celebration lunch of haggis, neeps and tatties.

Thank you for all that you do ó Slŗinte Mhath! #BurnsNight2021 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

https://twitter.com/kensi.../1353772163317305346?s=21

Fisher and Donaldson is an awesome St Andrews bakery!  Nice touch!  (St Andrews is only a few miles away from Dundee, we all used to go there for shopping, etc.)
Hester
Board Helper
Warned
Most Exalted Member

Samoa Samoa

Ignore
« Reply #4576 on: January 25, 2021, 10:24:49 PM »

Haggis....BLECH!
Ooh. I love haggis. Itís lovely as stuffing in a chicken breast.

I do wish Kate would stop dressing as a tin of shortbread every time she visits or has anything to do with Scotland. She lived these for four years, so she should know thatís not actually how Scots dress every day.

😹
anneboleyn

Warned
Mini Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #4577 on: January 27, 2021, 06:04:25 PM »

I do wish Kate would stop dressing as a tin of shortbread every time she visits or has anything to do with Scotland. She lived these for four years, so she should know thatís not actually how Scots dress every day.
LOL okay that was super funny. And so true! You can honour Scottish roots without wearing tartan every time. Perhaps try dressing in clothes by a Scottish designer or something, just to mix it up.
SvenskaSarah

Large Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #4578 on: January 28, 2021, 02:42:37 AM »

LOL okay that was super funny. And so true! You can honour Scottish roots without wearing tartan every time. Perhaps try dressing in clothes by a Scottish designer or something, just to mix it up.

Agreed- I loved the analogy to a shortbread tin!

I always find royals wearing tartan interesting: especially considering that in 1746 the Dress Act banned tartan and other forms of Gaelic culture. Indeed many rulers have been enamoured and patronised tartan, such as George VI and Victoria. A fun fact I learned watching a documentary recently was that Clan tartans did not exist in the same way we would recognise it before the 18th century, and can be seen as an "invented tradition". Notably at the Battle of Culloden in 1746 clan tartans were not in use (the Battle predated the Dress Act by a few months).

For me it seems that royals often wear tartan willy-nilly without showing much awareness about how much of a traditional juxtaposition it is- tartan could be worn by Scots as a show of defiance against the English, and certainly the Dress Act can be seen as an attempt by government (and thus the monarch) to quash any national symbolism displayed by Scots. Of course times have moved on, but the cruelty perpetrated by the English is not something that has been forgotten. I feel that royals wear it to "try and fit in", but ultimately it makes them look ridiculous because it is every time they attend an engagement relating to Scotland that they wear tartan. Rather than honouring a proud and historic nation, it comes across a bit orientalist and patronising in nature.

Please excuse me for my waffle, I'm a self-confessed history nerd and my body is full of a box of pinot grigio I bought in desperation at not coping well with yet another lockdown! But for anyone interested, I encourage a quick google on Scottish tartan, it really does have a fascinating history!
getafix

Most Exalted Member

Virgin Islands, British Virgin Islands, British

Bye-Bye MEDiana Who!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #4579 on: January 28, 2021, 07:19:47 AM »

SS for that history lesson   Champagne  Star

enjoy your pinot 

G Smiley

ANDREW DENTON: Yes. What did... When you first met, what did you see in each other? CROWN PRINCE FREDERIK: What did we see in each other? We saw... Well, it's a bit hard. It's a bit blurry, in a way, because it was just after the Olympics had started and it was one of those evenings where...
Hester
Board Helper
Warned
Most Exalted Member

Samoa Samoa

Ignore
« Reply #4580 on: January 28, 2021, 07:55:37 AM »

The Queen Mother was Scottish nobility though, right?
luvcharles

Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #4581 on: January 28, 2021, 09:05:41 AM »

Yes - her father was the 14th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghome and her family home was Glamis Castle.
Hester
Board Helper
Warned
Most Exalted Member

Samoa Samoa

Ignore
« Reply #4582 on: January 28, 2021, 10:06:46 AM »

Yes - her father was the 14th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghome and her family home was Glamis Castle.

Did we ever see the QM in tartan?
Margaret

Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #4583 on: January 28, 2021, 09:22:09 PM »

These are the some images I found online of her wearing a tartan item, and they all seem to be different tartans:

« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 09:30:16 PM by Margaret » Logged
Oh_Caroline

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #4584 on: January 28, 2021, 09:56:54 PM »

IIRC most of the BRF where tartan while on holiday (in Scotland) or at more casual events like the Braemar Gathering.  Charles does where a few different kilts on engagements in Scotland though I donít find myself too bothered by that. 

With Catherine, I fine her need to thematically dress over done and I really wish sheíd branch out a bit more.  Sure itís cute but Iím not sure thatís a good thing.  Iíd love to see her start using designers from the various countries and limit the need to collect country specific wardrobes that are rarely worn again.  Scotland is more than tartan and you can wear tartan outside of Scotland.  Same for Ireland being more than the color green and being able to wear green outside of Ireland.

Maybe not the best explanation but you guys get what Iím going for.
Ellie

Warned
Ginormous Member

proud moron thx Scooby Doo

Ignore
« Reply #4585 on: January 28, 2021, 10:29:27 PM »

I think the theme dressing is just very childish. It can work but you don't need to do it all the time.

A nice dress made by a Scottish designer, maybe a brooch (a luckenbooth perhaps), a scarf, to liven it up a bit. Done.

writing angry fauxminist letters in the Lesbaru
Pomme

Gigantic Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Mary who?

Ignore
« Reply #4586 on: January 28, 2021, 11:44:15 PM »

These are the some images I found online of her wearing a tartan item, and they all seem to be different tartans:

IIRC it is not uncommon that a clan has a regular and a dress tartan, and they can differ?  Though the colour pic ones do not really look like clan Lyon.

It's fun going down the tartan rabbit hole - even today, new unique tartans are designed. The tartan register is impressive.

Talk to the hair, you slitherin' Skank
http://i.imgur.com/2mUIe.jpg
Lady Liebe

Gigantic Member

United States United States

Provence Amaryllis

Ignore
« Reply #4587 on: January 29, 2021, 12:35:10 AM »

IIRC it is not uncommon that a clan has a regular and a dress tartan, and they can differ?  Though the colour pic ones do not really look like clan Lyon.

It's fun going down the tartan rabbit hole - even today, new unique tartans are designed. The tartan register is impressive.

Clans can have several tartans - regular, dress, and hunting to name a few. Then there are regimental tartans also. IIRC the Queen Mum can trace her ancestry back to Robert the Bruce so there could be quite a few clans in her background, plus if she was the Commander of a Scottish regiment she could wear that tartan too. I've seen tartan woven in cotton and silk, but wool is of course traditional and historical.

To take us back to the subject, at least the outfit was a repeat. I do agree she could start incorporating Scotch designers into her repertoire, and not just when in Scotland. Does Kate herself have any Scotch ancestry?

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.       Daniel Patrick Moynihan
TLLK

Most Exalted Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #4588 on: January 29, 2021, 12:54:01 AM »

Does Kate herself have any Scotch ancestry?

AFAIK she's nearly all English and the furthest north her ancestors hailed from was Yorkshire.

This article is old, but I don't believe that we've uncovered anything different.

https://www.smh.com.au/wo...itage-20101117-17wjd.html

nd is a mixed heritage
By Laura Elston
November 17, 2010 ó 10.00am

Kate Middleton is a non-aristocratic English rose.

An untitled royal bride, she has a mix of middle and working class heritage, descended from a family of solicitors and landed gentry on her father's side and butchers, plasterers, road sweepers and domestic servants on her mother's.

One of her mother's relations, James Harrison, was a coal miner in County Durham in 1819, the year that Queen Victoria was born.

There is also a jailbird among Kate's ancestors.

Her great-great-great grandfather Edward Thomas Glassborow, who is related to Miss Middleton's father Michael, was an inmate at Holloway Prison in London in an entry in the 1881 census, according to Claudia Joseph's biography of Kate.

She is also distantly related to her future husband Prince William, genealogists revealed.

The royal lovebirds are 15th cousins, linked through the Fairfax family in the 16th century, who were descended from Edward III.

Coming from mostly a Yorkshire background, Miss Middleton is quintessentially English - more so than Diana, Princess of Wales.

Dr Morris Bierbrier, a former co-editor for Debrett's Peerage & Baronetage, revealed: "Both William and Kate descend from Sir Thomas Fairfax who died about 1520 and his wife Agnes Gascoigne who descended from Lionel Duke of Clarence, second son of Edward III.
Antevorta

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #4589 on: January 29, 2021, 01:02:59 AM »

I donít necessarily agree with it but the BRF have their own tartan, the Balmoral tartan. Actually, I think it may be just HMís and she allows the family to wear it. I know Iíve seen Phil and Chuck in it.

I also wanted to note that Kate and William have the Strathearn tartan available to them, as the Earl and Countess of Strathearn. I think itís yellow? And, I think Kate has worn it as a scarf once or twice?

Apologies for the uncertainty but Iím too lazy to look it up right now. Iím lockdown fatigued...
Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 317   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: