Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jazmin Grimaldi  (Read 37473 times)
Kristallinchen

Humongous Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: January 20, 2020, 08:41:53 PM »

Could there be cultural reasons for her name to be spelled Jazmin? Here that is the correct way and Yasmin is the tackiest.

Not sure if that is the case in the US, here in Germany it is just the real low social classes who do that. The upper class and the upper middle class would go for classical names with classical spellings.

The lower class here pick English names (for whatever reasons) or French names (they can't pronounce themselves). Then they alter the spelling to Madelynne or something similar to point out how special their child is. 

Though both Jazmin and Kaitlin would be far too normal for them.
Miss Marple

Humongous Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: January 20, 2020, 09:04:28 PM »

Yeah, they always come up with some TV character's name or some rappers name and change that around ...
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: January 21, 2020, 07:57:36 AM »

Could there be cultural reasons for her name to be spelled Jazmin? Here that is the correct way and Yasmin is the tackiest.

Not sure if that is the case in the US, here in Germany it is just the real low social classes who do that. The upper class and the upper middle class would go for classical names with classical spellings.

The lower class here pick English names (for whatever reasons) or French names (they can't pronounce themselves). Then they alter the spelling to Madelynne or something similar to point out how special their child is. 

In the Netherlands a similar trend, the lower class taking weird spelled English sounding names, preferable ending with 'lyn'. Still the one that always stayed in my memory, without 'lyn', was the girl who was named 'Nikita'.  Oh well, her mother yelled that name over the square and a girl responded. BTW pronounced as 'NI-ki-TAAAAA'
Lady Hermione

Micro Member

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: January 21, 2020, 08:36:56 AM »

I believe Jazmin is the Spanish spelling (minus an accent). Is there any Spanish link there? I know her mother has some Italian heritage but other than that not sure.
Picar

Micro Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: January 21, 2020, 01:06:12 PM »

I went to university with a girl called Christiane, which in my opinion is  fine name, but it was spelled Khrysthyanny or something as bad as. She was a lovely girl, but I thought that spelling was SO tacky.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: January 21, 2020, 01:19:07 PM »

I went to university with a girl called Christiane, which in my opinion is  fine name, but it was spelled Khrysthyanny or something as bad as. She was a lovely girl, but I thought that spelling was SO tacky.

Reminds me of an anecdote of an acquaintance of mine. One of her children was playing during a school trip with a classmate, the daughter of asylum seekers from Eritrea (or surroundings) in NL. Based on the name as shown on the girls name card, the acquaintance didn't know how to pronounce it. It turned out when inquiring and responding from the child herself that it was pronounced as Jerusalem.

Apparently a very free interpretation of Jerusalem with regard to spelling.
Cocorose

Micro Member

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: January 21, 2020, 10:48:13 PM »

Jazmin is an Americanized respelling of the French/Arabic female name Jasmine.
Picar

Micro Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: January 22, 2020, 09:47:06 PM »

Reminds me of an anecdote of an acquaintance of mine. One of her children was playing during a school trip with a classmate, the daughter of asylum seekers from Eritrea (or surroundings) in NL. Based on the name as shown on the girls name card, the acquaintance didn't know how to pronounce it. It turned out when inquiring and responding from the child herself that it was pronounced as Jerusalem.

Apparently a very free interpretation of Jerusalem with regard to spelling.

Grin Grin Grin

It was like us in the university, I hated when I was placed to do group work with that girl, because even though to pronounce her name was easy, to write it was impossible, I needed to sk her to spell it every time, and after a while that was embarrassing!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: