Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra  (Read 11269 times)
Ellie

Warned
Humongous Member

in search of ethical emerald tiaras

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2019, 03:22:13 AM »

Wilhelm certainly wanted war and was saber-rattling for some time, even while Bertie was alive. A good look at this is in Jane Ridley's excellent authoritative biography of Edward VII. He would have done anything he could and he tried, but he knew it was a losing battle because Willy was lusting after war and due to everything that had gone on before - uniting into Germany by blood and iron - made it happen...

writing angry fauxminist letters in the Lesbaru
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2019, 11:11:57 PM »

Among Queen Alexandra's hobbies, she had an interest in woodworking and photography.
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2019, 11:06:39 PM »

Princess Alexandra with her sister Princess Dagmar (the future Empress of Russia) in matching polka dot dresses     
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/572801646355777591
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2019, 11:09:49 PM »

King Edward VII supported reform of the army following the Boer War. He supported Admiral Fischer's expansion of the Royal Navy including the new Dreadnought battleships.
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2020, 11:09:58 PM »

Albert Edward and Alexandra, as Prince and Princess of Wales, went to stay at Sandringham together for the first time after their return from the honeymoon, on March 28, 1864. They were both completely happy there, as Benjamin Disraeli discovered when invited to dinner at Windsor the next month of April.
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2020, 10:44:27 PM »

Edward VII became King on January 22, 1901. He did not bestow the title of Prince of Wales until November 1901 to his son Prince George. Edward felt that he had held the title for so long himself, it might cause confusion in the public mind for Prince George to hold it immediately.
karma chamelion

Huge Member

Salvia microphylla 'Hot Lips'

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2020, 11:02:23 PM »

Edward VII became King on January 22, 1901. He did not bestow the title of Prince of Wales until November 1901 to his son Prince George. Edward felt that he had held the title for so long himself, it might cause confusion in the public mind for Prince George to hold it immediately.

I owe you a star when time allows, Cyril. I hadn't heard that information before, re George not becoming PoW immediately. Poignant considering the current BRF will be facing the same issue.
luvcharles

Warned
Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2020, 01:47:47 AM »

From the 22nd January until 9th November (Edward VII's birthday) George V was officially known as HRH The Duke of Cornwall and York. It was as such that he - and his Duchess as she then was - visited Australia to open the very first Australian parliament in Melbourne on the 9th May.

In 1927, on the 9th May, his second son, then the Duke of York, with his Duchess, opened the Australian Parliament House.

In 1988, again on the 9th May, the daughter of the second Duke or York and granddaughter of The Duke of Cornwall and York opened the present Australian Parliament House. She was, at the time, as she still is, Elizabeth II.

Lady Liebe

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2020, 03:59:29 AM »

Very interesting, luvcharles. Star Is there a significance to May 9th in Australia? Or did it just become a tradition?

Compassion without truth isn't love, it's flattery. Love not only weeps, it also speaks.   Reagan Rose
Ellie

Warned
Humongous Member

in search of ethical emerald tiaras

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2020, 04:17:16 AM »

George and May especially were very upset they were not made Prince and Princess of Wales for some time - I recall reading a letter May wrote complaining about it to someone or another. I think it had to do with Alexandra, who also refused to move out of Marlborough House and made life a living hell for May.

writing angry fauxminist letters in the Lesbaru
Kristallinchen

Humongous Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2020, 08:45:52 AM »

I owe you a star when time allows, Cyril. I hadn't heard that information before, re George not becoming PoW immediately. Poignant considering the current BRF will be facing the same issue.

And no one remembers George V. and Mary as Prince and Princess of Wales.
Duchess of Verona

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2020, 01:36:34 AM »

Certainly no one alive to tell the story! Smiley
Gemsheal

Small Member

I make all my memes

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2020, 03:06:22 AM »

I believe that bit of info is confirmed in James Pope-Hennessy's bio of Queen Mary.  Excellent bio by the way.  It's been awhile since I read it but it's a keeper on my shelf.   The Quest For Queen Mary (the story behind the bio) was excellent too!   

My fondest childhood memory is ... not having to pay bills and taxes 🤓
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2020, 07:10:33 PM »

Yes, I agree James Pope-Hennessy's bio was excellent.
What I always find rather interesting is that once you read the bios (fairly level ones not the sugars) you realise that the former generations often hailed as the "good" and "proper" ones today faced much of the same critiscm and scrutiny as those today.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2020, 11:37:07 PM »

On September 9, 1862, Prince Albert Edward proposed to Princess Alexandra at Laeken Royal Palace, the home of King Leopold I of Belgium, Edward's granduncle.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: