Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra  (Read 835 times)
CyrilSebastian

Medium Member

United States United States

Ignore
« on: April 13, 2019, 03:22:35 AM »

King Edward VII's favorite theatrical performances were plays about modern upper-class society, musical comedies and light opera. Queen Alexandra preferred grand opera.       

Because of his mother's long reign, Edward spent most of his life performing only ceremonial duties.   

Could King Edward VII have prevented the First World War?
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 03:46:02 PM »

How?  Crazy,
None of the Cousin kings had much influence on world politics back then, they were all figure heads, that were allowed to play with uniforms, toy soldiers and yachts, but weren't able or allowed to meddle in real life politics.
And the english king was the most constitutional monarch of them all.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Lord Gn

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 03:50:01 PM »

King Edward VII's favorite theatrical performances were plays about modern upper-class society, musical comedies and light opera. Queen Alexandra preferred grand opera.       

Because of his mother's long reign, Edward spent most of his life performing only ceremonial duties.   

Could King Edward VII have prevented the First World War?
Indeed he did. He had lots of engagements.And at least one court suit.  Whistle
Celia

Warned
Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 05:10:06 PM »

Edward was credited with helping to bring about the Entente Cordiale.  I think he very well could have kept Willie in check, maybe not preventing the war but certainly postponing or reshaping it.
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 07:43:44 PM »

Legend had it that neither Edward nor his consort Alexandra could stand anything german. Apparently they disliked Wilhelm tremenduously. Now, I have relatives I can't stand the sight of, but we aren't in any position to influence world politics with our mutual dislike and thus avoiding serves us well.
In those king's and ruler's positions however you should leave your personal childhood rivalry behind and behave like a responsible adult. Alienating Germany and building an Entente between Great Britain (a huge empire at that time), Russia (a continent rather than a Country) and France just forced Germany into finding allies just as well. The horrible murder of the austrian Crown prince was the spark that ignited the war, animosities however had run deep before. And while we can argue that Germany had looked for some excuse to start the war, had some idiot assassinated the british or russian cp the powder keg would have lit just as well.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
CyrilSebastian

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 11:42:52 PM »

Queen Alexandra attended the West Norfolk Hunt Dog Show and presented prizes in 1922.     
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2cCtM2_3ss
CyrilSebastian

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 01:34:38 AM »

When he became King, Edward VII reorganized the royal palaces. He gave instructions for the telephone system to be extended. Various coach houses were to be converted into garages for the motor-cars.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: