Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars Thread  (Read 6732 times)
smf3000

Warned
Medium Member

Botswana Botswana

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2017, 03:05:46 AM »

I saw it today.

SPOLIER ALERT

So while I liked it, I did have a few issues with it overall.

-A lot of the fun of movies was taken out of this one. One goes to movies to escape from real life and consequences. To forget about things like bills, and compromises and death. Not in this movie. You couldn't enjoy anything.

There was no victory. No 'clean' wins. Everything was dirtied up with complication and thinking.

-In this film its bad to be a maverick (Leia to Poe, Holdo to Poe) because you get people killed. Yes, in real life! But we never think about how many people Luke, Leia and Han solo killed in the films. We don't think of the cities destroyed. Innocent lives sacrificed.

Because if we did, how could we cheer for them?! The bad guys are disposable. Lives lost by rebels get a brief shrug and on to the next adventure! Not true here.

In this film you had to feel every death, and that robbed you of the light, joyous feeling I go to movies to see. Feeling death is no fun!

-In past films, heroes might be lectured about being daredevils, but then they'd win! And be proven right! Its good to risk all, and to take chances!

Not here.

In this film, you take risks, someone will stop you or lecture you, for your own good. You can't be a hero when surrounded by Nannies! (that's not a knock on the women. Its how the MALE writers chose to depict the female boss/ employee and the female friend/ male friend dynamic).

-When Poe leads the group (On the cold salt planet), after Leia suggests everyone should listen to him, you as the audience are uneasy:

'But he's a daredevil, he gets people killed!' No, we should only listen to him when he suggests NOT making the death run against the cannon. And we should only listen to him when he suggests running away.

-And BOO, you were forced to think- "Where are the rebels getting their weapons?! Are they being financed by evil rich people?! Just like the Empire?!"

If the Rebels are the same as the Empire, each buying weapons to kill and maim and destroy, then why are we rooting for them? Because George Lucas says so?

-Benicio Del Toro basically ruined the film. And all action films forevermore. He was a great character. Really interesting. But his whole, "It doesn't matter who wins, you'll just blow each other up tomorrow" thing was depressing.

AND

Rather than the director undercutting this idea, he let it stand, endorsing it, rendering every future victory meaningless because "it would only be followed by more war".

What the hell is that?!

Rian Johnson has just 'thought' himself out of a job!!  Whistle

And he seems to hate C3P0! Where was my English Robot Butler?! Missed him  Cry

So.

What *did* I like about it?!

-The Porgs! Yes to owning one.
-The Crystal doggies. So cute!
-The Horse / rabbit / kangaroo thingies. Heartrending!

And...

ADAM DRIVER!!
HE IS DROOL FOREVER.  Drool
Fewer shirts please. Maybe next film set on a beach, where oops!, the First order have renounced shirts altogether?  Spiteful
Sondra Finchley

Huge Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2017, 09:11:09 AM »

We saw this last night at the Science Museum IMAX, so the suckitude couldn't have been larger even if we wanted it to be. Packed house but people were for the most part quiet at least. What I found interesting is that a lot of audiences, in my experience, here in the UK will clap at the end of a movie and uh, that didn't happen here at all. Even when I saw Dunkirk in a super tiny theatre with 4 other people they started clapping.

SPOILERS

So I was a bit lost when the movie started because I hadnt seen anything star wars since the last one and couldnt remember who these people were. But no problem, right, proper scripts usually include prompting establishing dialogue. Not this movie. I didn't know who the hell Snoke was or what the First Order was and apparently they wern't even IN the last movie so massive script writing fail for not explaining any of this. Had they done that it would have given the audience something to cheer when the rebels got away, otherwise it was just one little ship moving faster in space than a big ship.

I think the attempt at jokes was to recreate the laughs generated by Han Solo in the originals, but they were briliant because they were part of the character and weren't forced. Half the time in this movie I felt like they were almost breaking the fourth wall by waiting half a beat for the joke to land. This isn't amateur night at The Laugh Factory people this is Star Wars, come on!

2/3rds of the plot could have been taken out because the actions were unnecessary. Also, why didn't the rebels have a plane in place to just turn their cruiser around and do that light speed thing after the pods had escaped rather than let the bulk of their force be shot out of the sky and THEN turn it around (also, I cant remember Laura Dern's actual hair color she's worn so many wigs this year. Hey Diane!).

So now we have a grey world with ambiguity, no big bad guys, no one on the good side to really root for, and apparently nothing matters so the whole thing should just collapse into a nihilistic black hole. Everyone loves this story because its about good vs evil and black vs white and the like. I don't want to see selfish assholes on the screen, I can see that every day in real life!

smf3000

Warned
Medium Member

Botswana Botswana

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2017, 08:08:27 PM »

So now we have a grey world with ambiguity, no big bad guys, no one on the good side to really root for, and apparently nothing matters so the whole thing should just collapse into a nihilistic black hole.

YUP!  Yes

I went back and watched the writer/director Rian Johnson's previous film 'Looper'. It's supposed to be really good.

SPOILERS FOR 'LOOPER'

The film is about time travel and the dilemma of choice. Ultimately the lead is a killer and has to try to stop an older version of himself from killing.

So what does he do?

He kills himself. Himself himself.
He turns the gun on himself, his own body, sticking it in his chest and blows himself away. Thereby doing away with the older version of himself.
When in doubt...Suicide!

And that fits with this new version of Star Wars.

The 'futility'.
The 'no way to win so just run away or kill yourself'
(Poe decides they should all flee. Holdo decides to kill herself / turn suicide bomber)

And in the end, just more War/fleeing.

Sigh.

At least Abrams, director of 'Force Awakens', will be back for the third film.  Secret
Sondra Finchley

Huge Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2017, 02:51:02 PM »

I will admit that I liked Looper BUT it is no, not even close although it aspires to be, Inception. Those sorts of movies you can easily write yourself into a corner because of the mental jump required to believe in them, but for something as straight forward in an established world such as Star Wars you just need to write a straight romance on top of a Western. Really. That's all it is. The fact that this team of writers and script doctors couldn't even manage THAT simple task should make you wonder.

Ah well, I will probably get suckered into seeing IX in two years cause we've made it this far, but the original trilogy will always be most loved.
ortensia
Banned
Banned
Gigantic Member

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2017, 12:52:39 PM »

https://www.instagram.com...taken-by=luismedinabascal

😂😂😂😂🙌🏻
Elissa

Most Exalted Member

France France

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2019, 07:17:19 PM »

The new teaser and TITLE of episode IX have just been revealed !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKR1lOj_Gs4
Spoiler alert just in case : the title is at the end of that video

( or just highlight the text under here:

THE RISE OF SKYWALKER )

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: