Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grand Duke Jean  (Read 38134 times)
Future Crayon

Most Exalted Member

BelgianRF fan account

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2019, 09:21:57 AM »

Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg has died at the age of 98, his son Henri has said in a statement.

He had recently been admitted to hospital suffering from a pulmonary infection, and passed away surrounded by his family, the statement said.

Grand Duke Jean abdicated in favour of his son Henri in 2000, after nearly 36 years on the throne.

During his reign, he oversaw the transformation of the Grand Duchy into an international financial centre.

Grand Duke Henri announced the death of his father in a statement on Tuesday, saying: "It is with great sadness that I inform you of the death of my beloved father, His Royal Highness Grand Duke Jean, who has passed away in peace, surrounded by the affection of his family."

Jean Benoît Guillaume Robert Antoine Louis Marie Adolphe Marc d'Aviano was born on 5 January 1921, the eldest child of Grand Duchess Charlotte and Prince Felix.

A graduate of the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst, he took part in the D-Day landings, and the liberation of Luxembourg from Nazi Germany.

He married Princess Joséphine-Charlotte of Belgium in 1953, and together they had five children.

During his reign, Luxembourg turned itself from an industrial backwater into a centre for financial services and satellite communications.

Grand Duke Jean's decision to step down at the age of 79 followed a precedent set by his mother, who abdicated in 1964.

The head of state's constitutional role is largely ceremonial, and in 2008 parliament further restricted it by rescinding the monarch's right to veto legislation.

With about half a million inhabitants, Luxembourg is not only the smallest state in the European Union, but also the wealthiest in terms of per capita gross domestic product.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48020480

#teambarrensponger
LongMaySheReign

Mini Member

France France

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2019, 11:40:56 AM »

He was a great man. RIP.  Sad
Athena

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2019, 12:01:54 PM »

Part of that Greatest Generation.
Rest in peace.
Eve

Medium Member

Estonia Estonia

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2019, 12:15:06 PM »

How sorry to hear. May he rest in peace. May the love of family and friends comfort the family during these difficult days.
onar

Gigantic Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2019, 12:40:17 PM »

May he rest in peace.

Lady Adelaide

Ginormous Member

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2019, 01:40:34 PM »

Rest in peace.
thecrownjewelthief

Medium Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2019, 01:49:06 PM »

What an incredible life he led! He seemed to still enjoy his life and his family until the his last days, which is a blessing. I hope his family feels peace and comfort.
Future Crayon

Most Exalted Member

BelgianRF fan account

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2019, 01:59:18 PM »

Brace yourselves...

Today Gabriel and Noah lost their most loved Great Grand Father in this whole world. I have never looked up and admired a man so much as HRH Grand Duc Jean. He welcomed me with open arms, he always made me feel incredibly loved and welcomed, we shared incredible moments together, laught a lot, talked a lot with each other, I loved him so much!
Rest in Peace Monseigneur. I will always hold you close in my heart and profound memories❣ Luxembourg and the world lost an incredible leader- one we can and should all aspire too. “When great trees fall,
rocks on distant hills shudder,
lions hunker down
in tall grasses,
and even elephants
lumber after safety.
When great trees fall
in forests,
small things recoil into silence,
their senses
eroded beyond fear.
When great souls die,
the air around us becomes
light, rare, sterile.
We breathe, briefly.
Our eyes, briefly,
see with
a hurtful clarity.
Our memory, suddenly sharpened,
examines,
gnaws on kind words
unsaid,
promised walks
never taken.
Great souls die and
our reality, bound to
them, takes leave of us.
Our souls,
dependent upon their
nurture,
now shrink, wizened.
Our minds, formed
and informed by their
radiance,
fall away. [...] And when great souls die,
after a period peace blooms,
slowly and always
irregularly. Spaces fill
with a kind of
soothing electric vibration.
Our senses, restored, never
to be the same, whisper to us.
They existed. They existed.
We can be. Be and be
better. For they existed
(By maya-angelou)

https://www.instagram.com...m_source=ig_web_copy_link

#teambarrensponger
karma chamelion

Huge Member

Henry "Hotspur" Percy Esperance en Dieu

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2019, 02:03:56 PM »

She couldn't be any further from GD Jean's way of life if she tried. If she truly aspired to be like him she would be forgiving, loving to all, self-sacrificing and always putting others first. It's really vulgar and self-serving to use this opportunity to try to boost her fan base. Disgusting and immature woman.

RIP Grand Duke Jean, you lead an admirable life of public service. One of a dying breed unfortunately. Thankfully his son is cut from the same cloth, but there is no one in the younger generation to fill his shoes.

We are made of the love of thousands.
Snow Queen

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2019, 02:26:43 PM »

Very sad news, RIP Grand Duke Jean. What a fascinating life he lead and to make it to 98 years old in relatively decent health is extraordinary.
fruela

Small Member

Spain Spain

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2019, 02:51:31 PM »

A great Grand Duke, a loving family man,a caring citizen supporting just causes to the very end. Requiescat In Pace.
editorathome
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Bouvet Island Bouvet Island

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2019, 03:03:43 PM »

Expected but sad nonetheless; he seemed like a very kind, decent person. Funeral Saturday, May 4.

http://royalcentral.co.uk...tails-are-released-120399
Snow Queen

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2019, 03:15:50 PM »

I wonder if there will be representatives from other royal families attend the funeral or if it will primarily be Lux and Belgium.
Future Crayon

Most Exalted Member

BelgianRF fan account

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2019, 03:31:49 PM »

I wonder if there will be representatives from other royal families attend the funeral or if it will primarily be Lux and Belgium.

Lux, Belgium, Liechtenstein and the Netherlands, I'd expect. It should be a representative from most royal families, but as we saw with Fabiola's funeral, that isn't always the case any more. It would be nice to see a senior British royal there. He served with honour with the British army during WWII. I would suggest William because of the Irish Guards link, if he's back from NZ in time.

#teambarrensponger
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2019, 03:36:16 PM »

Lux, Belgium, Liechtenstein and the Netherlands, I'd expect. It should be a representative from most royal families, but as we saw with Fabiola's funeral, that isn't always the case any more. It would be nice to see a senior British royal there. He served with honour with the British army during WWII. I would suggest William because of the Irish Guards link, if he's back from NZ in time.

Based on the date, May 4, I guess it will predominantly be Bee from the Netherlands. Or WA and Maxima have to hurry back to the Netherlands after the funeral.

May 4 is Remembrance of the Dead (= Dodenherdenking) in the Netherlands.

https://en.wikipedia.org/...i/Remembrance_of_the_Dead
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: