Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 56   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: News and pics of Meghan 08/19  (Read 94517 times)
Kaiserin

Gigantic Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #735 on: September 15, 2019, 10:14:44 AM »

Star for you Hermione.
Well said.
Jane

Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Daiz

Ignore
« Reply #736 on: September 15, 2019, 12:46:18 PM »

Everyone who attended the launch got a gift bag with items worth over 100 sterling. Surely this money could have been donated rather than used to give stuff to patrons?
ralf103

Large Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #737 on: September 15, 2019, 01:15:45 PM »

Clearly MeMeMeghan will say that it was all donated stuff so its all good, but as you say it could have been put to much better use giving it to the charity for use elsewhere.

I've never really heard of it happening at charity events attended by Royals bar perhaps for the largest of charities, this is a pretty small charity and a pretty small event.

I'd hate to be accused of being unAmerican but sometimes it really shows that MeMeMeghan has not spent considerable time in the UK and go to know its culture, how the RF works and what really a Royal is. Again, not meaning to be unAmerican as I suspect there are plenty of Americans who probably understand all of this more than MeMeMeghan.

Eliza B

Huge Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #738 on: September 15, 2019, 01:42:21 PM »

Everyone who attended the launch got a gift bag with items worth over 100 sterling. Surely this money could have been donated rather than used to give stuff to patrons?

Let's say 100 people attended that's a $10,000 value in goodies.  Yes they were probably all donated in kind (to be mentioned in an ad for promotion). But surely the 10 companies could have donated $1000 each directly to Smart Works instead of Jennifer Saunders getting another reusable water bottle to add to the collection?
Eliza B

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #739 on: September 15, 2019, 02:00:59 PM »

Clearly MeMeMeghan will say that it was all donated stuff so its all good, but as you say it could have been put to much better use giving it to the charity for use elsewhere.

I've never really heard of it happening at charity events attended by Royals bar perhaps for the largest of charities, this is a pretty small charity and a pretty small event.

I'd hate to be accused of being unAmerican but sometimes it really shows that MeMeMeghan has not spent considerable time in the UK and go to know its culture, how the RF works and what really a Royal is. Again, not meaning to be unAmerican as I suspect there are plenty of Americans who probably understand all of this more than MeMeMeghan.

We've seen her pick up goodie bags at events before as a royal.  I don't think it's not a UK thing, but I don't think it's a UK-royal thing -  really how many freebies can someone get before you look greedy?  I mean she gave goodie bags, not favors, at their wedding.

But yes, she's used to everyone coming to an event not to support a cause but get their photo taken, have a free glass of champagne (she served water), and get a goodie bag.  

Wimbledon goodies:
ralf103

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #740 on: September 15, 2019, 02:54:58 PM »

As you say I definitely don't think its a UK royal thing to do, to be honest I can' think of many charities that would happily give out freebies worth so much except those that are rather shallow in their cause and if I was attending any anything more than a pen and tote bag was offered I would be asking where the money has come from for it and if it wouldn't be better donated to those who need it.
Future Crayon

Ginormous Member

Sophie Winklestan

Ignore
« Reply #741 on: September 16, 2019, 09:21:09 AM »

So on my visits to Smart Works, one of the times that I went I realised there was a little bit of a challenge in terms of styling for the women because we had a lot of donations, but not necessarily the things that women needed to have. So okay, letís try to work with what we have and make the best of it. And then the next time I went there was a rack of about 40 or 50 lilac coloured blazers. Now donít get me wrong, itís a great blazer and Iím sure for someone itís exactly what she wants to be wearing. But for most women, when youíre going in there and you want to have a job interview and you want to feel your very best, and you want to feel confident, you want to be wearing the pieces of clothing that make you feel that way and not the leftovers that didnít sell from the end of the season.

Again, Sussex speechwriters, there's a way of presenting your choices and ideas without you explicitly or implicitly criticising others choices and ideas.

Also, some people are saying that the M&S dress is literally that - a 2018 design which did not sell, which is now being relaunched as part of the 'Smart Set' project.

I appreciate that this project has done a lot to raise the profile of Smart Works, but I'm unhappy with the implied criticism of the previous operating model in favour of major retailers getting brownie points for essentially offloading excess stock, with no financial risk.

Currently visualizing my highest self
cordtx

Warned
Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #742 on: September 16, 2019, 10:42:12 AM »

Also, she apparently did not pronounce lilac in the UK way
Barrie

Most Exalted Member

Canada Canada

Rufus loves Royal Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #743 on: September 16, 2019, 10:48:26 AM »

When you are runnng a charity you accept what you can get. Isnít a wise idea to dish the donors.
Yvonne

Small Member

Ethiopia Ethiopia

Ignore
« Reply #744 on: September 16, 2019, 12:24:37 PM »

So on my visits to Smart Works, one of the times that I went I realised there was a little bit of a challenge in terms of styling for the women because we had a lot of donations, but not necessarily the things that women needed to have. So okay, letís try to work with what we have and make the best of it. And then the next time I went there was a rack of about 40 or 50 lilac coloured blazers. Now donít get me wrong, itís a great blazer and Iím sure for someone itís exactly what she wants to be wearing. But for most women, when youíre going in there and you want to have a job interview and you want to feel your very best, and you want to feel confident, you want to be wearing the pieces of clothing that make you feel that way and not the leftovers that didnít sell from the end of the season.

Again, Sussex speechwriters, there's a way of presenting your choices and ideas without you explicitly or implicitly criticising others choices and ideas.

Also, some people are saying that the M&S dress is literally that - a 2018 design which did not sell, which is now being relaunched as part of the 'Smart Set' project.

I appreciate that this project has done a lot to raise the profile of Smart Works, but I'm unhappy with the implied criticism of the previous operating model in favour of major retailers getting brownie points for essentially offloading excess stock, with no financial risk.

I think she doesn't use any and writes speeches herself for her and Harry too (?) I doubt she takes anyone's advice on anything so if palace speechwriters even give her suggestions, she probably just shoos them - she knows better, after all. I don't like her but every time I hear her say something or read what she writes, I cringe and feel so embarrassed for her.
thecrownjewelthief

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #745 on: September 16, 2019, 02:14:19 PM »

I think she doesn't use any and writes speeches herself for her and Harry too (?) I doubt she takes anyone's advice on anything so if palace speechwriters even give her suggestions, she probably just shoos them - she knows better, after all. I don't like her but every time I hear her say something or read what she writes, I cringe and feel so embarrassed for her.

She absolutely writes those speeches herself. If anyone sees them beforehand, it's her agent or some other person from her acting days.
SvenskaSarah

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #746 on: September 20, 2019, 03:29:37 AM »

When you are runnng a charity you accept what you can get. Isnít a wise idea to dish the donors.

Star Absolutely!! I've got several years working in charity shops, and you always, always smile and graciously accept donations and encourage customers to donate their unwanted items, even if you know you've got a hundred copies of the same book. You never, ever criticise the donors or what they donate. That will only encourage donors to give their items to another charity.
Megs appears so rude in this speech, I can't believe no one saw it beforehand and stopped her.
Sondra Finchley

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #747 on: September 20, 2019, 07:41:19 AM »

She's made the classic mistake that since they speak English and she's seen a few episodes of English shows, that she gets it. She's still at the top level expat understanding, and that is before having to navigate a new marriage with a guy she kinda knew, in a venerable institution that is also a national symbol. Not to be unBritish Smiley but there are absolute subtleties to language/body language/class awareness/politics/cultural and food preferences that you get (if you are paying attention) by the 4th year or so. But you have to want to be turned on and wanting to learn and adjust and so far she's what, in her 3rd year now? with time ad teams of advisors?, she hasn't adjusted at all and just seems to be doubling down on the California American thing.

She could have endeared herself to the nation had she wanted to learn all about the country and customs and been humble. But why take a good hand and play it? That's not the Sparkle way!
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #748 on: September 20, 2019, 11:49:33 AM »

I don't think that Meghan's heavy Hand has anything to do with being american vs british or with not getting the royal or british thing. It has all to do with her being her own rather fragile center of attention.
Maxima of NL is her own center of attention, and she is continuing on with her latina ways, but annoying as she might be sometimes, she always manages to infect others with her joy de vivre; Her exuberant "OMG I am here" always manages to include a "and so are all of you - isn't that fabulous?"  and everybody simply has to laugh with her and has a good time.
I think it boils down to personality. Meghan, just as another person up north is torn on her own self-esteem: she wants to be the sun, she needs it to be, yet needs to constantly remind people (and herself perhaps?) how important she is. Hence the silly too big for day-time quotes and inspirations, she herself has not much to offer, and she uses platitudes to deflect from this.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
thecrownjewelthief

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #749 on: September 20, 2019, 01:58:18 PM »

I don't think that Meghan's heavy Hand has anything to do with being american vs british or with not getting the royal or british thing. It has all to do with her being her own rather fragile center of attention.
Maxima of NL is her own center of attention, and she is continuing on with her latina ways, but annoying as she might be sometimes, she always manages to infect others with her joy de vivre; Her exuberant "OMG I am here" always manages to include a "and so are all of you - isn't that fabulous?"  and everybody simply has to laugh with her and has a good time.
I think it boils down to personality. Meghan, just as another person up north is torn on her own self-esteem: she wants to be the sun, she needs it to be, yet needs to constantly remind people (and herself perhaps?) how important she is. Hence the silly too big for day-time quotes and inspirations, she herself has not much to offer, and she uses platitudes to deflect from this.

I think this is correct. Meghan, much like the other person up north, doesn't actually have much self-confidence or self-worth. She wants to be whoever she thinks will make people happy and get her popularity, and it comes across as fake and disingenuous. Contrast that with Max, who I think is very sure of herself and what she has to offer the world, so her differences come off as charming and endearing.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 56   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: