Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gone With the Wind  (Read 8550 times)
Harley
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Yemen Yemen

Team Marie all the way

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2019, 09:33:30 AM »

Carreen, very good post. I agree with all that you wrote.

I was in my late teens when I first read the novel. And then afterwards, I saw the movie. Both are absolute masterpieces but the movie, classic that it is, will always be number 2 in my view. The book just has so much more and it always pains me a little to see all the characters and other stuff they left out.

I am rereaded the book these days, actually, and I am yet again struck with how interesting it is when you like characters but disagree with their views of the world. Of course, pre war South was not as lovely as what Mitchell describes but I decided at some point that the story is its own thing. Itís fiction, a fairytale, not a faithful description of the past.

Likewise, I get to love the various characters for what they are - characters with strengths and flaws. Because when you read it, even near saintly Melly DOES say horribly racist things. And the KKK are described as a type of freedom fighters which is, of course, highly problematic if you take the novel for fact.

In many ways, the novel canít really just be read without some critical thinking because it DOES have problems. At the same time, itís a novel that you never really tire of. Itís a treasure box of beautiful language, larger than life characters and a story that keeps fascinating.

Oh, and also Will Benteen deserves an honorary mention in this thread because I love that character. And sweet, little Wade (and Ella Lorena who never gets a personality).

CyrilSebastian

Huge Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2019, 02:37:34 AM »

I was obsessed with GWTW when I was about 11 years old... it was one of the first "grown-up" books I read and I still know passages by heart. Years later when I saw the movie, I had to adjust my expectations, I had the whole book in my head and hadn't seen even a photo of Vivien Leigh or Clark Gable. My obsession expanded to include the movie and I still have a number of books about Selznick, and the movie, and every book ever written about Vivien Leigh!

When I got older, I understood that a world where people are segregated by class and ethnicity can't be the paradise Mitchell described. I understood that her view is biased and that I don't agree with her point of view. Actually I find that liking characters who represents values I don't agree with has helped me sharpen my values.

I think the sad thing about Scarlett is her unfulfilled longing to be loved by her mother. This empty shell of a mother who hides her total lack of interest in life (after losing the love of her life and then three baby sons) behind a facade of religion and saintliness and who never shows Scarlett her love. I was not surprised to read in a biography of Margaret MItchell that Scarlett is a self portrait, and that she always felt her mother didn't love her.

Scarlett missed the opportunity to build a real friendship with Melanie, and also didn't manage to develop her bonds to her sisters - Carreen is a sort of Melanie character and was always my favorite character, along with Aunt Pittypat, Mrs Merriweather and Mammy. Scarlett could have surrounded herself with friends instead of seeking male attention - at a time when men and women were thought to live on different planets.

Ashley never took her seriously and Rhett had his own agenda. Ironically, Charles Hamilton and Frank Kennedy gave her selfless love - that she rejected, didn't even notice. I found that sad already when I was a girl. Really, we all make such mistakes, we hanker after people who are not good for us and send the nice guys to the desert. Such a mistake.

I totally agree that Rhett Butler treated Scarlett at least as shabbily as she treated him - and he was a grown man and should have known better. The scene where she falls down the stairs is horribly cruel.

Mitchell wrote fascinating characters and was an unsurpassed genius when she described clothes. I think that I can still draw every dress Scarlett considered for the barbecue at Twelve Oaks, they're described so splendidly, like living beings. Much more alive than poor Wade and Ella Lorena.

Her treatment of the Belle Watling character is disappointing, a mere cliche. She could have done so much more with Belle!

I loved the many characters in the country, Grandma Fontaine, Cathleen Calvert, and also in Atlanta - the McLure sisters? is that name correct? Like in a Rubens painting, there is so much vitality. The whole books is like the Tarleton coach, bursting with dresses, curls and great dialogue. She really gave us a whole world - faulty, complex, contradictory, changing all the time. You get a feeling for the world as Mitchell, as nostalgic memory view it.

Atlanta is a character in its own right, and a great character! I'd have loved to meet Rhett's mother and sister btw.

At the same time, the novel is woven tightly. Already on page 2, we hear the secret that will change Scarlett's life - the revelation that sets everything else into motion, until the end.

Compared to this great combination of faithful, lively characters and great narrative structure, a weak novel like Scarlett by Ripley can only disappoint. ( Was afraid to read Rhett's People but if you Dishers like it, I might try it). In Scarlett, everybody just moves from A to B via C, without inner reasons for doing so. Ripley's characters never came to life for me. Stock characters from romantic novels.

Maeve Binchy should have written the Irish part. She would have warmed up Scarlett believably :-)

Wow, I wrote much more than I planned to! Thank you for starting the topic.

Careen, Thank you for the Thank you of starting the topic. Thank you for your magnificent post!  Thumb up Thumb up Thumb up Thumb up
CyrilSebastian

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2019, 02:22:55 AM »

In the movie Gone With the Wind a quote from Benjamin Franklin is used: "Do not squander time it's the stuff life is made of." The quotation was carved on a sundial on the Twelve Oaks property.
CyrilSebastian

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2019, 01:18:09 AM »

Gone With the Wind on postage stamp   
http://www.alamy.com/movi...stamp-image235602711.html
CyrilSebastian

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2019, 01:06:35 AM »

Scarlett's Green Velvet Dressing Gown   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke8eCtoYhuw
Lady Liebe

Huge Member

Harlequin

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2019, 01:59:03 AM »

There are three museums dedicated to Gone With the Wind. Two in Texas, one in Georgia.

Do what you can, where you are, with what youíve got.   Teddy Roosevelt
CyrilSebastian

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2019, 01:57:18 AM »

Siskel and Ebert discussed who they would cast as Rhett Butler and Scarlett O'Hara in Scarlett. Timothy Dalton was mentioned as a possibility to be Rhett.   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjRzbKtSgrA
CyrilSebastian

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2019, 02:16:14 AM »

Tara was built on the back lot of Selznick International Studios in Culver City (Culver Studios). It was an exterior only.
CyrilSebastian

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: November 25, 2019, 01:50:54 AM »

Gone With the Wind became the first ever winner of the Best Picture Oscar to be filmed in color.
CyrilSebastian

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2019, 11:00:01 PM »

Gone With the Wind unused deleted costumes   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp6NcwiWRO0
CyrilSebastian

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2019, 11:23:56 PM »

Gone With the Wind Atlanta premier   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIBz-5QQOso
CyrilSebastian

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2019, 07:04:51 PM »

Casting a Legend   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHWOkmHsGSg
fruela

Small Member

Spain Spain

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: January 01, 2020, 03:17:40 PM »

Oh mysweetlord! Gone with the wind are the days when we could gape at a tiara or a royal lady --or a gentleman,why not?-- wearing heavy rock jewellery and amazing gowns. I refuse to make do with rock royalty...  sniff
CyrilSebastian

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2020, 10:35:12 PM »

Interesting facts about Gone With the Wind   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGygvpcNBlc
CyrilSebastian

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2020, 10:30:31 PM »

In 1973 Pernell Roberts starred as Rhett Butler opposite Lesley Ann Warren in Gone With the Wind at the Chandler Pavilion in Los Angeles.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: