Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gone With the Wind  (Read 1980 times)
Lady Alice

Humongous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2019, 03:10:40 PM »

The author Margaret Mead was very critical of southern culture in the way women were treated in southern culture so she was not writing the book to glamorize the south for sure. Also have any of you reread it as you got older and were shocked to find out that Scarletís mother was 28 in the book and that was considered old!!

You mean Margaret Mitchell.

And it was only "old" in the context that life expectancy was far shorter then.

Thistle

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2019, 05:58:03 PM »

Margaret Mitchell wrote Gone with the wind. 28 was old almost everywhere at that time, no only in the South. Women had a very low life expectance due to childbirth complications. Women would also marry very early, usually in ter teens. She married with dad O'Hara at 15, which was quite common at the time.

And yes is super creepy but having the historical perspective in mind, it is not that strange  Crap

Reading can seriously damage your ignorance
KimmySue

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2019, 06:14:14 PM »

I really enjoyed the book Rhett Butler's People which fills in his whole background.

I have never heard of this book! I will have to find it. Would love to know more about Rhett Butler.
cordtx

Warned
Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2019, 08:28:50 PM »

Sorry , yes Margaret Mitchell.

reading it when I was 30 , it shocked me that 28 was considered over it/ almost dead in a way.
obviously times have changed ladies!!
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2019, 08:48:51 PM »

You guys are contagius (or how the heck you spell it....  Jumping Tongue )

Currently a ticking time bomb weith regard to thoughts and emotions. I decided to distract myself with a visit to the bookcorner of the community home of our small neighbourhood. And there between all 2nd hand boos I found copies of both Gone with the wind and Scarlett. Needless to say they went home with me. Now I need to find the time and space to read them. My TBR pile is already huge  Wink
anastasia beaverhausen

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2019, 04:18:09 AM »

Currently a ticking time bomb weith regard to thoughts and emotions. I decided to distract myself with a visit to the bookcorner of the community home of our small neighbourhood. And there between all 2nd hand boos I found copies of both Gone with the wind and Scarlett. Needless to say they went home with me. Now I need to find the time and space to read them. My TBR pile is already huge  Wink

I hope youíre okay, Principessa!
Margaret

Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2019, 09:20:36 AM »

Fabulous topic!  Thanks for starting it, CyrilSebastian.  Jumping

"Gone With the Wind" had a big impact on me.  It is one of my favourite books and favourite movies.  I read the book first - twice - before I first saw the movie, and I saw it at the cinema, not on TV.  I think it is best enjoyed on the big screen, and at an old cinema, not a modern one.  It is a movie that needs to be seen with curtains being drawn across at intermission.  Being able to see it at will on DVD on your own TV cheapens the experience a bit, I think.  

I was about 12 or 13 when I first read the book.  When I was young there were a lot of western movies and TV shows with a former Confederate soldier as the hero and I was rather taken with the South and the romantic vision of it that we were being sold in those days.  I developed a deep interest in the Civil War which followed me into adulthood.  But I digress.  The young teenage me fell for Ashley, not Rhett, so I went into the movie with a bias towards Ashley.  I've never liked Clark Gable very much and I didn't like his Rhett, but that's not to say I think he didn't portray Rhett well; Clark Gable IS Rhett Butler, as Vivien Leigh IS Scarlett O'Hara and Olivia de Havilland (who recently turned 103) IS Melanie Hamilton.  I don't feel as stongly about Leslie Howard as Ashley though, which might be because as much as I like him as an actor, I never fancied him and that disappointed the teenage me enormously.   I have never read or seen "Scarlett", and I never will.  I choose not to acknowledge the existence of that post-movie book world.  I can be stubborn like that (a bit like Scarlett, perhaps).

The book and movie are very different in a number of respects, and it is the movie version that is imprinted on my brain so it is that version, and those actors, I am commenting on.  (Maybe I will re-read the book.)   I don't think I have ever liked Scarlett or Rhett.  I liked, and admired, Melanie and Ashley.  I really admired Melanie.  Though one could debate it for some time, I think Melanie is the one with real courage, in the same mold as Grace Kelly's Amy Kane in "High Noon".  Yes, Scarlett was strong, too, in her own way, and very useful to have around, but she also had a very nasty, selfish, bitchy streak.  Not all the time, of course, and she was very young during her worst moments, and she was starting to grow up at the end of the movie.  

I find the movie is a very interesting historical piece, but I don't think it is dated... until the very last scene with Scarlett's melodramatic speech about thinking about it all tomorrow at Tara and tomorrow being another day.  Right to that moment I think it stands the test of time.  Not that I think the moment spoils it, just puts the movie in its time.  

I also think it is interesting that one of the key actors is still alive eighty years after the movie was released and 154 years after the end of the Civil War.  Olivia de Havilland would have met people who were alive during the Civil War and maybe even men who fought during that conflict.  The fact there is still a person living who was involved in the making of GWTW in a major way who remembers (I am assuming and hoping she does) people who were alive during the American Civil War blows my mind!  

Chillenout

Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2019, 10:49:27 AM »

One of my favorite movies!! It is one of the few movies I can watch over and over again.

Itís one of my favorites too. Iíve probably seen it 20 times though out the years.

Thereís a local theatre in my area that showed GWTH a couple years ago, and I sat there watching it, enraptured as I was the first time I saw iit.

Vivian Leigh on my DVD/TV is very pretty. But my god, seeing her on the big screen....she was     ab-so-lute-ly drop dead gorgeous.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2019, 11:40:34 AM »

Thank you.

It is an ongoing process, a main part of my life. Yesterday it seemed there was a break through, but followed by the remark that I will have an absurd long time to wait before I can continue. And that most of it isn't covered by my insurance.
CyrilSebastian

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2019, 02:48:55 AM »

Vivien Leigh screentests for Gone With the Wind     
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17nqHTMWD_0
CyrilSebastian

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Yesterday at 02:44:43 AM »

In one scene of Gone With the Wind, Rhett Butler was required to cry. Clark Gable did not want to shed tears on screen. Olivia de Havilland persuaded Clark to go through with the scene.
anastasia beaverhausen

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Yesterday at 02:57:18 AM »

You guys are contagius (or how the heck you spell it....  Jumping Tongue )

Currently a ticking time bomb weith regard to thoughts and emotions. I decided to distract myself with a visit to the bookcorner of the community home of our small neighbourhood. And there between all 2nd hand boos I found copies of both Gone with the wind and Scarlett. Needless to say they went home with me. Now I need to find the time and space to read them. My TBR pile is already huge  Wink

Thank you.

It is an ongoing process, a main part of my life. Yesterday it seemed there was a break through, but followed by the remark that I will have an absurd long time to wait before I can continue. And that most of it isn't covered by my insurance.

Iím so sorry!  I hope you feel better soon.  Hug
CyrilSebastian

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Today at 03:04:08 AM »

Vivien Leigh did not dance in Gone With the Wind. Dancer Sally De Marco was used as her double for the scenes at the Confederate Ball in distant shots.
Margaret

Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Today at 04:08:12 AM »

Vivien Leigh did not dance in Gone With the Wind. Dancer Sally De Marco was used as her double for the scenes at the Confederate Ball in distant shots.

Oh!  That surprises me.  What a fabulous scene that was!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4c5AoqUIZU

ETA  If you watch that clip, stay around and watch the one following it titled 'Casting for "Gone With the Wind"', also 'Making "Gone With the Wind"'.  Very interesting.
« Last Edit: Today at 04:26:11 AM by Margaret » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: