Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plantations of the Old South  (Read 6988 times)
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2020, 10:46:50 PM »

Glenfield Plantation is in Natchez, Mississippi.     
http://www.glenfieldplantation.com
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2020, 10:52:22 PM »

Arlington was a plantation near Birmingham, Alabama     
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/267190190362571150
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2020, 10:32:43 PM »

Magnolia Plantation, which dates to 1676, is located near Charleston, South Carolina.     
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4ZHrdSas3w
Lady Liebe

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2020, 12:20:32 AM »

Charleston boasts five plantations in the near vicinity, Magnolia, Boone Hall, Drayton Hall, Macleod Plantation and  Midddleton Place.

I've visited only Boone Hall and Gardens. Lovely when the azaleas are in bloom.

Compassion without truth isn't love, it's flattery. Love not only weeps, it also speaks.   Reagan Rose
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2020, 09:24:35 PM »

Monticello was the primary plantation of Thomas Jefferson. It is located outside of Charlottesville, Virginia.   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JUZoIguW8o
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2020, 02:47:22 AM »

The Williams S. Simmons Plantation, also known as the Wesley House, is located in Cave Spring, Georgia.     
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/390546598910108324
onar

Humongous Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2020, 08:27:23 AM »

The Williams S. Simmons Plantation, also known as the Wesley House, is located in Cave Spring, Georgia.     
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/390546598910108324
I love these glimpses from old houses! 

TLLK

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2020, 05:12:08 PM »

I don't know if this has been shared but Georgia's Stone Mountain park has a historic square of homes and other 18th/19th century buildings moved from sites around the state and reassembled/restored. The square includes a variety of homes including slave cabins, gin house, cookhouse, school, carriage house, barnyard with livestock, kitchen and formal gardens.

https://www.stonemountain...c-Square.html#allen_house

CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2020, 08:00:02 PM »

I don't know if this has been shared but Georgia's Stone Mountain park has a historic square of homes and other 18th/19th century buildings moved from sites around the state and reassembled/restored. The square includes a variety of homes including slave cabins, gin house, cookhouse, school, carriage house, barnyard with livestock, kitchen and formal gardens.

https://www.stonemountain...c-Square.html#allen_house

TLLK, Thank you for the splendid pictures! I especially like the Loom Room of the Allen House.
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2020, 07:30:46 AM »

Newbold-White Plantation in Hertford, North Carolina was built in 1730 by Abraham Sanders.   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AArJ4B7tMnQ
SvenskaSarah

Medium Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2020, 01:22:35 AM »

Iím surprised the descendants of slaves havenít been able to claim hefty reparations.

Considering we are still fighting to have slavery taught properly in schools and to get rid of confederate monuments, Iím not going hold my breath.

I know this threat is about the US but I'm offering some knowledge of reparations and compensations from when the UK outlawed the slave trade and slave ownership

The compensations the government paid to slave-owning families was so vast that it was only paid off in 2015. Almost 200 years after slavery was completely outlawed in the UK. The money to pay this came from taxpayers. So any UK taxpayer who paid tax before 2015 paid towards those compensations (I doubt many would have been aware of this).

Sadly, and as you can probably imagine, no compensations or reparations were ever paid to any of those formerly enslaved.

I know it's hard to compare, and the UK has a long, long way to go in terms of recognising its past, acknowledging it and even addressing it, but it may give you some insight relating to how or why the US has failed to offer any compensations or reparations.
Aubiette

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2020, 02:27:14 AM »

I’m surprised the descendants of slaves haven’t been able to claim hefty reparations.

Considering we are still fighting to have slavery taught properly in schools and to get rid of confederate monuments, I’m not going hold my breath.

I know this threat is about the US but I'm offering some knowledge of reparations and compensations from when the UK outlawed the slave trade and slave ownership

The compensations the government paid to slave-owning families was so vast that it was only paid off in 2015. Almost 200 years after slavery was completely outlawed in the UK. The money to pay this came from taxpayers. So any UK taxpayer who paid tax before 2015 paid towards those compensations (I doubt many would have been aware of this).

Sadly, and as you can probably imagine, no compensations or reparations were ever paid to any of those formerly enslaved.

I know it's hard to compare, and the UK has a long, long way to go in terms of recognising its past, acknowledging it and even addressing it, but it may give you some insight relating to how or why the US has failed to offer any compensations or reparations.

Well you said it perfectly. I have no intentions of paying reparations for something I had nothing to do with, nor my grandparents, nor theirs. Not to mention that those who could’ve benefited are no longer with us and many other reasons/issues.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 04:09:10 AM by Aubiette » Logged
Gemsheal

Small Member

I make all my memes

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2020, 05:39:47 AM »

Well thank you Aubiette.  Research has proven that my .... I don't quite know, 10th great grandfather? owned 4 slaves, in NY, in 1770.   Not something I feel proud of.  Yet also not something I feel that I, personally, owe anyone money for.  I can only be the best person *I* can be, to attone for any wrongful actions of the past.  In the lifetime of Philip H. (my ancestor) it was normal to own a few slaves.  I can hope he treated them humanely.  He is the only ancestor of mine on record of owning people, at least I can also hope he was the last.

My fondest childhood memory is ... not having to pay bills and taxes 🤓
genegal43

Huge Member

All I got was a Nancy Pearl Action Figure...

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2020, 04:43:11 PM »

Iím surprised the descendants of slaves havenít been able to claim hefty reparations.

Considering we are still fighting to have slavery taught properly in schools and to get rid of confederate monuments, Iím not going hold my breath.

Well you said it perfectly. I have no intentions of paying reparations for something I had nothing to do with, nor my grandparents, nor theirs. Not to mention that those who couldíve benefited are no longer with us and many other reasons/issues.

I know, my 3rd great-granduncle sacrificed his health as an engineer on Underground Railroad.  His wife was equally as tough when mobs would descend on their house.

Genealogy: shrinking the world one person at a time!
GoodGollyMissMolly

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2020, 04:54:18 PM »

You know what would be a fantastic way to pay reparations?

Pump money into HBCUs, teach slavery PROPERLY in public schools, take down public Confederate monuments, evenly distribute state taxes to all schools instead of them just going to schools in certain communities, and stop over policing black communities.

That would be a great place to start.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: