Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Folk Costumes  (Read 4413 times)
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« on: November 04, 2019, 02:19:14 AM »

Hungarian Folk Costumes   
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/558798266239424137   

Danish folk dress     
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/574349758709075073
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 10:12:41 AM »

This is the old folk costume of the Dutch region most of my family originates from:

Typical for the female outfit are the so called knipmuts(en) (clipping hat/cap)

The traditional costume includes a clipping cap with a pair of bells on it for the women. The hats (caps) are made of lace. The pattern of the cap tells a lot about the situation of the family: the finer the pattern, the richer the family. The bells are also an indication of the families situation. Folding the clipping caps is a time-consuming job. This makes such a cap pretty expensive. In addition, the clipping cap absolutely cannot stand rain. So with the first the best raindrops the women would run inside.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 10:20:55 AM by Principessa » Logged
PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 06:33:32 PM »

that is so neat, Principessa    Star

These are traditional outfits from where I was born.

and where I grew up.

Each traditional costume/clothing is also influenced by regions of early Bohemia and early Bavaria. So there are really a lot.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 06:47:54 PM by PeDe » Logged

bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 07:38:35 PM »

This link will take you to a photo of the Selbu bunad, which is the costume for the part of Norway from which my family comes. The bodies is screen printed wool, and the skirt is a wool plaid, overtopped with a wool apron. The young woman is wearing a bridal crown, which may have been the one worn by my grandmother.
https://bentehaarstad.pho...om/image/I0000xczUZj2kYY4

To be honest, the cut of the Selbu bunad bodice is rather challenging to all but very slender young women. I think it is for this region that many women from Selbu prefer to wear the Trønder bunad, which you can see here in all its component parts. https://www.norskflid.no/...delag/blaa-troenderbunad/

And one of the nice things about the Trønder bunad -- which can be worn by women from the southern part of Trøndelag county in mid-Norge is that you have a number of different color choices. I can't really afford one, but if I could, I think I'd be torn between the blue and the red.
https://thelist.no/tronder-bunad/

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019, 07:52:23 PM »

Beautiful PeDe!!

So colorful and rich on embroidery.
In comparison the folk customes I described are a bit dull and less colorful. Just like others there is a difference between  regular all day custome and the sunday's best (also the outfits for special occassions).
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2019, 07:54:38 PM »

This link will take you to a photo of the Selbu bunad, which is the costume for the part of Norway from which my family comes. The bodies is screen printed wool, and the skirt is a wool plaid, overtopped with a wool apron. The young woman is wearing a bridal crown, which may have been the one worn by my grandmother.
https://bentehaarstad.pho...om/image/I0000xczUZj2kYY4

To be honest, the cut of the Selbu bunad bodice is rather challenging to all but very slender young women. I think it is for this region that many women from Selbu prefer to wear the Trønder bunad, which you can see here in all its component parts. https://www.norskflid.no/...delag/blaa-troenderbunad/

And one of the nice things about the Trønder bunad -- which can be worn by women from the southern part of Trøndelag county in mid-Norge is that you have a number of different color choices. I can't really afford one, but if I could, I think I'd be torn between the blue and the red.
https://thelist.no/tronder-bunad/

also beautiful
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2019, 07:57:46 PM »

In some parts of NL there are still people, in particular women, who regular wear their local folk custome. Some even every day. For example some women in the town of Staphorst. Even within a small country as the Netherlands you can find very diversed folk customes. It always amazed me.
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2019, 08:44:10 PM »

During spring and fall, when all the Festivals are on, everybody and their pet-mosquito seem to wear "bayrische Tracht" here. I remember that when I first came to this neck of the woods, everybody back home kept asking, if it was true that Germans wore Dirndl and Leather pants, eat Sauerkraut and drink beer all the time - yeah right as if….nowadays, at least the Dirndl and leather pants are extremely popular during September and October (and the beer just as well).
What's however interesting is that only the Bavarian tracht (the typical Dirndl and Lederhosen) are so popular all over Germany because actually every region has their own traditional Tracht and tbf, most of them are fabulous just as well.
Alas they haven't made it into the mainstream fashion and thus haven't evolved and modernized.
The two elder Miss Fairies are obviously infected and look adorable in their Dirndls, the elder Miss Fairy in heels, the medium Fairy in Chucks or workboots. 
Ramadama

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Elissa

Most Exalted Member

France France

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2019, 09:28:14 PM »

So beautiful costumes! Thank you for sharing them !

Those are from the region I was born.

and some people still wore them for traditional dances, with slight regional differences

https://youtu.be/LUtCfmS3BGQ?t=390

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2019, 10:00:28 PM »

So beautiful costumes! Thank you for sharing them !

Those are from the region I was born.

and some people still wore them for traditional dances, with slight regional differences

https://youtu.be/LUtCfmS3BGQ?t=390

Again, beautiful colours! And interesting caps.
anirac

Medium Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2019, 10:15:19 PM »

In my youth - a few (or more ) years ago - I was part of a traditional dance group. We did a lot of modern dance too, but most of the time it was dancing in our folk costumes. The dance group still exists and still has a focus on traditions as you see.
https://www.wartburg-ensemble.de

But in our teen-years we hated the costumes, mostly because it was itchy and very hot in the summer.

Funny how lives and attitudes changes when you get older. Now that I live in Bavaria, I would nevere consider to go our annual fairs like Gillamoos, Gäubodenfest, Barthlmarkt Beer etc (btw. I never vistited the Oktoberfest....to much people  Wink ) or weddings, significant birthdays etc. without a Dirndl Grin

I owe so much to my wife.You cannot imagine what I'm feeling.It's fabulous.Thank you,Beatrix.

Perhaps history will bear out that the choice of my partner was my best decision.
cordtx

Warned
Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2019, 01:58:06 AM »

Thanks to all of you ladies for sharing with us all of the gorgeous clothes from your family regions!
So interesting and I’m jealous I don’t have one to share, lol
 Star
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2019, 09:00:26 AM »

This is the folk costume (female version) of the Dutch town of Staphorst. This was one of the few towns which continued the folk costume on a very regular (some even daily) basis for a long time. And if I am correct some older women in Staphorst still do.

Girls:

Just like most folk costumes in the Netherlands there is and was also a distinction between regular, every day costumes and the ones for Sundays, special days and such.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2019, 09:27:00 AM »

The Dutch royals also have worn Dutch folk costumes and are associated with it:

Juliana as a child in the folk custome of the Zeeland city of Axel:

Juliana in the folk custome of the Zeeland region Zuid-Beveland:

WA wearing a top of the male folk costume of the former island Urk:

In 1975 Juliana was gifted a doll in the local folk costume of the city of Rijssen (in the East of the Netherlands - region Twente):

Lady Liebe

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2019, 02:19:00 PM »

Thanks for all the lovely and very interesting pictures everyone. My Great Great Grandparents on my mother's side came from Bavaria.

Lord L's Great Grandparents on his mothers side are from Slovakia. There is a Slovakian Museum in Iowa, where we stopped during a trip westward.  They had many differs costumes/dresses, and the guide explained that each town had it's own distinct style, colors etc. The girls/women would sew their dress for their wedding, leaving large seam allowances and making a waist that would expand. It was your 'good' dress for the rest of your life.

Compassion without truth isn't love, it's flattery. Love not only weeps, it also speaks.   Reagan Rose
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: