Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ari Behn is dead  (Read 58806 times)
Larzen

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #360 on: January 04, 2020, 05:18:49 PM »

Most of the sponsors where there, the girls had only one minor royal each as sponsors except Haakon and mette marit. Alexia of Greece and Alexandra SWB where the two missing.
ralf103

Big Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #361 on: January 04, 2020, 07:34:27 PM »

Oh I hadn't realised that the girls had royal godparents, that does explain of course why Laurentine was there (I wasn't sure if the Dutch royals were just very close to the Norwegians)

Personally I couldn't imagine not being there if one of my godchildren had to attend their parents funeral, I mean isn't that the sort of thing you have godparents for? Its not like any of them are poor enough they couldn't afford to travel to Norway and no matter their relationship with ML and views on the divorce you would be there for the girls surely.
Skirt Queen

Large Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #362 on: January 05, 2020, 12:37:55 AM »

How come the girls aren’t titled as Princesses? Did ML forego the offer of a title when they were born? Just curious.
Kristallinchen

Humongous Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #363 on: January 05, 2020, 12:42:22 AM »

Oh I hadn't realised that the girls had royal godparents, that does explain of course why Laurentine was there (I wasn't sure if the Dutch royals were just very close to the Norwegians)

Personally I couldn't imagine not being there if one of my godchildren had to attend their parents funeral, I mean isn't that the sort of thing you have godparents for? Its not like any of them are poor enough they couldn't afford to travel to Norway and no matter their relationship with ML and views on the divorce you would be there for the girls surely.

For me with godparents it's the same thing as with friends. Your parents choose people with whom there're related/good friends at the time of your birth. But times change and people change. Not to say they'll hate each other 20 years later, but they may very well drift apart.
Paulina

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #364 on: January 05, 2020, 12:42:29 AM »

I’m not sure princess can be inherited from the female line.
Oh_Caroline

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #365 on: January 05, 2020, 12:48:12 AM »

Traditional titles are passed down from your father, with limited exceptions, so they wouldn't have been eligible by default.  In February 2002, before her May 2002 marriage, ML "lost" her HRH because she wanted more freedom to work outside of her role as a princess.  She's still a princess in Norway and outside of Norway uses HH by convention.  Also Haakon had married in 2001 so it was expected that he'd have children before long...Ingrid is about 8 months younger than Maud.  

All that is to say...I don't even think titles for the girls were considered let alone offered and declined.  
PollyAnna

Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #366 on: January 05, 2020, 12:52:38 AM »

I have been a long time member who does not post much, as I find mY thoughts have already been much more eloquently expressed by others. On this topic though I have thought long and hard about sharing and decided to weigh in with an experience of many years ago. I am a retired school counselor and had a student who attempted suicide, the student was a new freshman,14 years old.  When we first met they asked if I knew what had happened and I replied that I knew they had tried to hurt themself.  With clarity and honesty this young person looked at me and said, “no, I tried to stop the hurt”.  I was forever changed by their few words and never again used the phase
“hurting yourself” but rather asked what hurts so badly. The purity and wisdom of youth never failed to take my breath away and cause me to rethink how I was doing things. This topic has caused me to revisit that interaction so many times and I hope for comfort and peace for all of Ari’s loved ones.
anastasia beaverhausen

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #367 on: January 05, 2020, 01:12:22 AM »

I have been a long time member who does not post much, as I find mY thoughts have already been much more eloquently expressed by others. On this topic though I have thought long and hard about sharing and decided to weigh in with an experience of many years ago. I am a retired school counselor and had a student who attempted suicide, the student was a new freshman,14 years old.  When we first met they asked if I knew what had happened and I replied that I knew they had tried to hurt themself.  With clarity and honesty this young person looked at me and said, “no, I tried to stop the hurt”.  I was forever changed by their few words and never again used the phase
“hurting yourself” but rather asked what hurts so badly. The purity and wisdom of youth never failed to take my breath away and cause me to rethink how I was doing things. This topic has caused me to revisit that interaction so many times and I hope for comfort and peace for all of Ari’s loved ones.

Thank you for that perspective, PollyAnna.  I think it’s very easy to forget the pain of the suicide victim while we focus on the survivors. We actually had a family discussion about this, because some of our relatives are possibly bi-polar. One is starting to exhibit some extreme behavior. This has caused some of us to examine our own reactions to these kids, because what sometimes looks like bratty behavior is a sign of a more serious problem and it’s hard to tell the difference.

In any event, I have come to consider mental illness to be somewhat like cancer.  Some are curable, some you learn to live with and some are fatal.
AutumnOpal

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #368 on: January 05, 2020, 02:00:55 AM »

That’s the best I’ve heard anyone explain it. It’s a mindset that you can only truly understand if you’ve been inside, and even once you’re out (god willing) it’s hard to understand/remember how/why you felt that way-because your brain chemistry has changed.
(I am not currently in that mindset but was briefly in the past during a post partum period)
freethespoon

Most Exalted Member

Official TeaSpoon of Royal Dish. Aka TrollSpoon.

Ignore
« Reply #369 on: January 05, 2020, 02:14:17 AM »

Thankyou for sharing.  You should share more. Star

You can call me TrollSpoon.
emtishell

Large Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #370 on: January 05, 2020, 03:05:02 AM »

Thank you for that perspective, PollyAnna.  I think it’s very easy to forget the pain of the suicide victim while we focus on the survivors. We actually had a family discussion about this, because some of our relatives are possibly bi-polar. One is starting to exhibit some extreme behavior. This has caused some of us to examine our own reactions to these kids, because what sometimes looks like bratty behavior is a sign of a more serious problem and it’s hard to tell the difference.

In any event, I have come to consider mental illness to be somewhat like cancer.  Some are curable, some you learn to live with and some are fatal.

ITA with the cancer analogy. When my daughter was suffering from severe depression, at the same time in our church there was a girl similar age with cancer. The assistance her family got, in comparison to ours (which was nothing), was awful! Both are terrible illnesses that can be fatal. My husband took 6 weeks off work to be with our daughter, as she couldn’t be left alone during this period. We have to stop framing mental illness as something different, something that can be controlled. It is an illness, and sometimes it kills people. Even the term “he killed himself” - no, the illness killed him. We wouldn’t think less of someone who died from cancer, that they didn’t try hard enough, or they didn’t get the help they needed, or others could have done more. We need to treat depression the same way.
Kristallinchen

Humongous Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #371 on: January 05, 2020, 12:15:53 PM »

ITA with the cancer analogy. When my daughter was suffering from severe depression, at the same time in our church there was a girl similar age with cancer. The assistance her family got, in comparison to ours (which was nothing), was awful! Both are terrible illnesses that can be fatal. My husband took 6 weeks off work to be with our daughter, as she couldn’t be left alone during this period. We have to stop framing mental illness as something different, something that can be controlled. It is an illness, and sometimes it kills people. Even the term “he killed himself” - no, the illness killed him. We wouldn’t think less of someone who died from cancer, that they didn’t try hard enough, or they didn’t get the help they needed, or others could have done more. We need to treat depression the same way.

Star Star Star with all of you.

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #372 on: January 05, 2020, 12:45:24 PM »

Such wise words!  Hug
fruela

Small Member

Spain Spain

Ignore
« Reply #373 on: January 05, 2020, 01:39:25 PM »

Congrats on your 500 posts,AutumnOpal.  Hug

https://www.dailymail.co....hristmas-Day-suicide.html
Lady Adelaide

Ginormous Member

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #374 on: January 05, 2020, 03:16:05 PM »

If anyone is interested, here's a video of Maud's speech with English subtitles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqeK-TSH5ts
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 03:24:43 PM by Lady Adelaide » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: