Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Plantagenets  (Read 22597 times)
karma chamelion

Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: August 28, 2020, 09:40:47 PM »

Henry Percy, 2nd Earl of Northumberland (3 February 1393 Ė 22 May 1455) was an English nobleman and military commander in the lead up to the Wars of the Roses. He was the son of Henry "Hotspur" Percy, and the grandson of Henry Percy, 1st Earl of Northumberland.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 10:56:12 PM by karma chamelion » Logged
Curtains

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: August 28, 2020, 10:50:12 PM »

Cyril, I think every one joins a Royal board to learn more, but no one brings more to that learning than you do.

Star

I just found out Iím descended from John of Gaunt, like most of the world evidently.  So I double appreciate this thread!

"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic: but I had a good life, all the way." - Jimmy Buffet, America's premiere poet
karma chamelion

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: August 28, 2020, 11:00:10 PM »

Cyril, I think every one joins a Royal board to learn more, but no one brings more to that learning than you do.

Star

I just found out Iím descended from John of Gaunt, like most of the world evidently.  So I double appreciate this thread!

Agreed, Cousin! Beer
Do you have old Hotspur in your tree too?
CyrilSebastian

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: August 29, 2020, 02:55:49 AM »

Star

Curtains, Thank you for such kind words.  Flowers Flowers Flowers
Curtains

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: August 29, 2020, 03:53:38 AM »

Star

Agreed, Cousin! Beer

Sadly, no Henry Hotspur, that rascal.  Swynford-Beaufort line. Devon, deCourtenay, Sanders.....

"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic: but I had a good life, all the way." - Jimmy Buffet, America's premiere poet
karma chamelion

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: August 29, 2020, 04:25:30 AM »

Star

Agreed, Cousin! Beer

Sadly, no Henry Hotspur, that rascal.  Swynford-Beaufort line. Devon, deCourtenay, Sanders.....

I will still consider you a sister from another mister. Hug
luvcharles

Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: August 29, 2020, 07:50:27 AM »

I wish I was able to trace my ancestry back that far but as far as I can go is about 120 years - largely due to babies not being registered, toddlers knowing nothing about their family being found by the side of the road with no identification and fires destroyed records offices and church records.
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: August 29, 2020, 10:45:33 AM »

I wish I was able to trace my ancestry back that far but as far as I can go is about 120 years - largely due to babies not being registered, toddlers knowing nothing about their family being found by the side of the road with no identification and fires destroyed records offices and church records.

Yep me too! And I have this very sad conviction that most likely I would find my ancestors not among the John Gaunts but among his foot servants. There is this strange fascination about the "below stairs" that I have when I tour noble mansions and palaces - as if part of my genetic memory remembers that this was where gramps and auntie spent their time ... Crap
Quite sad, but the closest any of my "known" family got to celebrity was as a house-keeper to Brigitte Bardot. Cool

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
anastasia beaverhausen

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: August 29, 2020, 03:46:24 PM »

Yep me too! And I have this very sad conviction that most likely I would find my ancestors not among the John Gaunts but among his foot servants. There is this strange fascination about the "below stairs" that I have when I tour noble mansions and palaces - as if part of my genetic memory remembers that this was where gramps and auntie spent their time ... Crap
Quite sad, but the closest any of my "known" family got to celebrity was as a house-keeper to Brigitte Bardot. Cool

Same here. On my fatherís side, his great great great whoever was deported from the UK, so ignominy is my ancestry.
Chillenout

Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: August 29, 2020, 04:20:02 PM »

Same here. On my fatherís side, his great great great whoever was deported from the UK, so ignominy is my ancestry.

Thru a dna test I was able to trace my ancestors to the late 1600ís- early 1700ís. I found out that some of my ancestors immigrated from Germany. They bought passage to the colonies with the intention of settling in PA. The shipís captain had other plans. He decided to set sale to  Virginia and sell all the passengers as indentured servants to Alexander Spotswood, who happened to be the Lt. governor at the time. Records show that they were the second group of people to arrive in the Germanna Colony. They eventually bought their freedom and immigrated to what is now Tennessee where there are still streets named after them. I also found out some of my ancestors fought in a couple significant Iroquois and Revolutionary War battles.
karma chamelion

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: August 29, 2020, 05:37:29 PM »

AB, if you have an interest in your heritage don't let that stop you, please. My family tree work is another way I relax, I feel like I'm communing with my ancestors. I'm lucky to have had time to flesh it out, I'm also lucky that I come from a fairly well-documented family. Lots of pretty famous Revolutionary War heroes including Major William McDowell (my 6th GG) who was married to a Cherokee woman named Elizabeth Templeton (her father was English, her mother full blooded Cherokee with no traceable family history). Also many rebels and outlaws including Grace Grainne O'Malley, a famous lady pirate. https://allthatsinteresting.com/grace-omalley and of course old Hotspur. But 99% of my family tree is full of tailors and seamstresses and lots of subsistence farmers who barely scraped by. I'm also related through marriage to Jesse James, you can't get much more ignominious than that.

I don't think this gives me "magic blood" or anything like that, but it does explain many, many things about how I and my family react to events around us (I believe in genetic memory) which I find helpful. I'm more than a bit of a hellion and so were my mother and grandmother. I see now where some of our wildness comes from.

Maybe you get some of the calm intelligence I admire in you from the patience and diplomatic skill in some of those "below stairs" ancestors. They were the people who kept things running and had to deal with lots of fiery tempers I'm sure. And I'll be if you dig deep enough you'll find that many of those ancestors were lords of their own manors once upon a time.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 06:22:16 PM by karma chamelion » Logged
Lady Liebe

Gigantic Member

Provence Amaryllis

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: August 29, 2020, 06:02:50 PM »

Same here. On my father’s side, his great great great whoever was deported from the UK, so ignominy is my ancestry.

AB, I count John Murray, 1st Marquess of Atholl as an ancestor - though on the wrong side of the blanket.
I've got Cromwell's too - from the uncle of Oliver, and a whole host of lowland Scots who were not exactly known to behave themselves . . . . That's the fun of it!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies.     CS Lewis
anastasia beaverhausen

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: August 29, 2020, 11:37:18 PM »

AB, I count John Murray, 1st Marquess of Atholl as an ancestor - though on the wrong side of the blanket.
I've got Cromwell's too - from the uncle of Oliver, and a whole host of lowland Scots who were not exactly known to behave themselves . . . . That's the fun of it!

Change that to highland Scots and thereís my paternal line!  From them I inherited my fish belly white skin, love of single malt and unreasonable stubbornness.

And KC, thank you so much  Hug.  I remember Hotspur was one of your first aviís!

I think the ignominy in the family is a source of amusement. That side is very bright, but not a lot of energy or desire to improve their circumstances. Somebody did research our heritage back to the 18th century, which was interesting indeed. Some chose transport to Australia, some chose the US, and my line stayed until the early 20th century (stubborn!).  But loads of fun.

Momís side came from Settimo Rottaro at around the same time (1920ís) and I was  fortunate to visit her family there a few times. Beautiful place!

I admire you all for digging through your family histories. This is such an amazing place!
karma chamelion

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: August 30, 2020, 01:49:14 AM »

Change that to highland Scots and thereís my paternal line!  From them I inherited my fish belly white skin, love of single malt and unreasonable stubbornness.

And KC, thank you so much  Hug.  I remember Hotspur was one of your first aviís!

I think the ignominy in the family is a source of amusement. That side is very bright, but not a lot of energy or desire to improve their circumstances. Somebody did research our heritage back to the 18th century, which was interesting indeed. Some chose transport to Australia, some chose the US, and my line stayed until the early 20th century (stubborn!).  But loads of fun.

Momís side came from Settimo Rottaro at around the same time (1920ís) and I was  fortunate to visit her family there a few times. Beautiful place!

I admire you all for digging through your family histories. This is such an amazing place!

I hope you'll continue to indulge me for a minute, I just wanted to share a story. When I was about five I remember going through my mom's things and there were a pair of lion figurines that I fell in love with. I begged for them and she let me have them. She told me to take good care of them because they were one of the only things her father left her (he was a hobo who died a few years before I was born). I have adored them all my life and they are still with me. They look something like this only mine are standing and are much older and more nicely painted:

Well, her father was second generation German and from a poor family not accustomed to luxury items like figurines. As I got older and started to investigate the lions I realized that they are English and would have had to been imported into Germany at a fair expense. Not really matching up with my grandpa.

I got into my family tree about 5 years ago. My maternal grandmother had always tried to tell me family stories and my mom always hushed her up (out of embarrassment about her father I suppose) so I've always wanted to know more. That's when I found out about Hotspur and Alnwick Castle. Not far from Staffordshire compared to Germany and my mother's mother is where the Hotspur bloodline comes from.

I saw the picture of the lion on the bridge at Alnwick and lo and behold I concluded my lions had come down through the Hotspur branch. Grandma's mother had died at 27 from TB when grandma was 4, so it's quite possible they came from her but the family history got lost with her death. I never told my mother that they probably weren't her dad's.

Lady Liebe

Gigantic Member

Provence Amaryllis

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: August 30, 2020, 01:57:12 AM »

And KC, thank you so much  Hug.  I remember Hotspur was one of your first aviís!

I hope you'll continue to indulge me for a minute, I just wanted to share a story. When I was about five I remember going through my mom's things and there were a pair of lion figurines that I fell in love with. I begged for them and she let me have them. She told me to take good care of them because they were one of the only things her father left her (he was a hobo who died a few years before I was born). I have adored them all my life and they are still with me. They look something like this only mine are standing and are much older and more nicely painted:

Well, her father was second generation German and from a poor family not accustomed to luxury items like figurines. As I got older and started to investigate the lions I realized that they are English and would have had to been imported into Germany at a fair expense. Not really matching up with my grandpa.

I got into my family tree about 5 years ago. My maternal grandmother had always tried to tell me family stories and my mom always hushed her up (out of embarrassment about her father I suppose) so I've always wanted to know more. That's when I found out about Hotspur and Alnwick Castle. Not far from Staffordshire compared to Germany and my mother's mother is where the Hotspur bloodline comes from.

I saw the picture of the lion on the bridge at Alnwick and lo and behold I concluded my lions had come down through the Hotspur branch. Grandma's mother had died at 27 from TB when grandma was 4, so it's quite possible they came from her but the family history got lost with her death. I never told my mother that they probably weren't her dad's.

Neat story! You should take them to Antiques Roadshow when it comes around!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies.     CS Lewis
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: