Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Plantagenets  (Read 21238 times)
CyrilSebastian

Humongous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: February 27, 2021, 02:00:54 AM »

King Edward III placed a tariff on England's export of wool. From 1336 onwards royal revenues from wool export were introduced.
CyrilSebastian

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: March 06, 2021, 09:57:11 PM »

After his wife Anne Neville's demise, if King Richard III had married his niece Elizabeth, the daughter of King Edward IV, how much would this marriage have strengthened Richard's hold on the throne?
CyrilSebastian

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: May 02, 2021, 12:35:47 AM »

In June 1258 King Henry III was forced to agree to the Provisions of Oxford, by which a council of fifteen barons was created to govern jointly with the king.
Curtains

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: May 02, 2021, 06:40:48 PM »

After his wife Anne Neville's demise, if King Richard III had married his niece Elizabeth, the daughter of King Edward IV, how much would this marriage have strengthened Richard's hold on the throne?

Hmmm.  I have thought about that.  It would be very shocking to marry your own niece, nephew, uncle, aunt.  Maria I of Portugal married her uncle.  It might have solidified his hold on the crown, but he would have had to obtain approval from the Pope, as they were too closely related for any such marriage to be recognized.  If it was recognized, that could have brought additional players to come to Richardís side.  A Papal dispensation would have taken time that Richard didnít have.  So ultimately, no.

"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic: but I had a good life, all the way." - Jimmy Buffet, America's premiere poet
CyrilSebastian

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: May 11, 2021, 12:32:57 AM »

In 1150 Geoffrey Plantagenet formally invested his son Henry as Duke of Normandy. In August of the following year Henry gave homage for Normandy to King Louis VII of France, a ceremonial declaration of his ducal right and dignity.
CyrilSebastian

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: May 29, 2021, 01:55:30 AM »

Catherine of Valois: The royal bride who changed England forever   
http://www.royalcentral.c...ed-england-forever-143814
anastasia beaverhausen

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: May 29, 2021, 03:52:54 PM »

Catherine of Valois: The royal bride who changed England forever   
http://www.royalcentral.c...ed-england-forever-143814

Really interesting article Cyril. The history behind the rise of the Tudors was always very murky to me.
Countess of Cows

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: May 29, 2021, 05:44:59 PM »

Fascinating, thank you so much for all the great history and interesting stories you link.  You're a treasure Cyril 

"I would sooner have you hate me for telling you the truth than adore me for telling you lies." Pietro Aretino

I would rather be hated for something I am, than loved for something I am not. -Bob Marley
CyrilSebastian

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: May 29, 2021, 11:31:46 PM »

Fascinating, thank you so much for all the great history and interesting stories you link.  You're a treasure Cyril 

Countess of Cows, Thank you for the enchanting compliment. Am I silver or am I gold?  Thinking Thinking Thinking Thinking Thinking Thinking Thinking Thinking
Countess of Cows

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: May 30, 2021, 05:27:58 AM »

Pure gold  Hug

"I would sooner have you hate me for telling you the truth than adore me for telling you lies." Pietro Aretino

I would rather be hated for something I am, than loved for something I am not. -Bob Marley
CyrilSebastian

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: June 01, 2021, 02:10:58 AM »

In 1428 why did Parliament pass an act to forbid Catherine of Valois to marry without the consent of the king and his council?
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: June 01, 2021, 09:11:22 AM »

I believe that the grey men who ruled the country with a baby-king were afraid, that the Queen could marry (aka ally herself with) someone over which the grey men had no influence and thus risk losing their grip on the power that is the far too young souvereign.
The new law said, that only the souvereign could allow a marriage of the Queen Mother and only once he reached maturity (which was at age 18, fun fact considering that many kings started ruling, waring and whatnot far earlier). So for Catherine that meant years and years of waiting.
Apparently however she didn't, since her younger sons were all born before Henry's 18 birthday, and their ligitimacy was never in question...so a marriage with Owen Tudor seems to have taken place....

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Airlie (not the Countess)

Micro Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: June 01, 2021, 01:54:18 PM »

Edmund and Jasper's legitimacy was questioned, at least by those who had reason to suggest that either Owen and Catherine weren't married or that their marriage wasn't valid or that as "sons of a Welsh farmer" . 

Considering what ended up happening (continual "cousins war") it's not surprising that Parliament was concerned what would happen if Henry VI had a step father and younger "uterine brothers".
CyrilSebastian

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: August 16, 2021, 01:48:31 AM »

Isabella of France (c. 1295-1358) was Queen of England as the wife of King Edward II. Pope Boniface VIII had urged the marriage as early as 1298 but it was delayed by wrangling over the terms of the marriage contract.
CyrilSebastian

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: September 18, 2021, 01:13:30 AM »

Betrothal of King Richard II and the French Princess Isabella of Valois in 1396   
http://www.alamy.com/betr...alois-image184261721.html
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: