Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 22   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2020 Swedish Royal News  (Read 85108 times)
Lady Willoughby

Warned
Gigantic Member

United States United States

Circa Regna Tonat

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: September 27, 2020, 04:41:20 PM »

Well, for an eight year old and (what?) five year old to spend time at a fine-art museum, looking at tapestries, and not one of those "children's" museums...  They impressed me.

This. Absolutely.

I do agree with Maria’s, great post about V&D’s blind spots though. We will surely see over the next few years, the proof will be in the parenting pudding so to say.

Maria
Administrator
Most Exalted Member

« Reply #226 on: September 27, 2020, 06:10:53 PM »

Daniel is also very friendly with Sofia and Victoria was stubbornly unwilling to understand why Swedes weren’t fond of her choice to be walked to the altar by her father. It’s hardly black and white. They can be nice and business smart at the same time as being naive and too privileged.
Lovis

Gigantic Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: September 27, 2020, 07:35:35 PM »

I think what we’ve seen from Estelle and Oscar is that they’re both well behaved and judging on a pic where she crossed her arms I found it difficult and wouldn’t interpret to much Smiley

One thing to Daniel and that he’s often reported as dumb. A friend of mine was part of his entrepreneur program and he was very impressed of his knowledge and engagement not just on the entrepreneurial field but in general he made the impression of a bright person.

Thumb up

I never thought of them as spoiled TBH.
I even never thought that of Leonore, and she was a wild little girl.   And I`m sure at least Daniel is aware of the position of the RF in Sweden and still is one down to earth guy.
Tsarina

Micro Member

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: September 27, 2020, 07:48:12 PM »

I think what we’ve seen from Estelle and Oscar is that they’re both well behaved and judging on a pic where she crossed her arms I found it difficult and wouldn’t interpret to much Smiley

One thing to Daniel and that he’s often reported as dumb. A friend of mine was part of his entrepreneur program and he was very impressed of his knowledge and engagement not just on the entrepreneurial field but in general he made the impression of a bright person.

Thumb up

I never thought of them as spoiled TBH.
I even never thought that of Leonore, and she was a wild little girl.   And I`m sure at least Daniel is aware of the position of the RF in Sweden and still is one down to earth guy.

ITA  Star

Daniel is perhaps the married-in that’s had it the worst. He may not have much in the way of a traditional higher education. But he worked his way up and founded a successful business - that takes intelligence and resilience.

V&D seem well connected to the public, judging from all of their engagements. But they also don’t seem the type to bend over backwards and do what others say if it goes against their values/beliefs.

If it were up to the public, Victoria would not have married Daniel.
Maria
Administrator
Most Exalted Member

« Reply #229 on: September 27, 2020, 08:00:13 PM »

And yet the republican movement in Sweden grows.

Y’all really just love V&D huh Cool
Miss Marple

Humongous Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: September 27, 2020, 08:28:40 PM »

And yet the republican movement in Sweden grows.

Y’all really just love V&D huh Cool

I think the republican movements in many European countries are growing. It is catalysed if you have a weak monarch - if (s)he is likeable and hard working, they might last a generation longer. But basically being born into a position is so contrary to everything else we believe in. If they are wasting money or doing a bad job people start thinking ... 
Carreen

Mini Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: September 27, 2020, 08:35:12 PM »

Maybe Carl Gustav simply caused people in Sweden to ask themselves whether they really, really need a RF? Maybe he should do a Juan Carlos and let Victoria take over? I don't know, I'm not a Swede. Didn't have CG older sisters who may have been better fit for the throne? It's all so arbitrary. For centuries, girls didn't count. Or only as last resort. Then, the laws are changed. Great. So maybe it was a mistake that they didn't change the law earlier?

Sorry if I sound a bit rambling... but I can totally understand if Swedes want to get rid of the monarchy. But V&D seem to make a real effort to be relevant and in touch, don't they? Sometimes I wonder how many monarchies will be left in 15, 20 years. the world is changing quickly now.
perdie

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: September 27, 2020, 08:39:02 PM »

I like V&D, they are likeable and professional, but I can also see how republican movements grow in modern countries that aim for equality, regardless of the personalities involved.  While there are many in the various families I like, I can't forget they are the ultimate symbol of inequality in their countries.  I don't think liking the people involved and preferring republics are incompatible, to be honest.
Queen’s Tea

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: September 27, 2020, 08:42:16 PM »

Maybe Carl Gustav simply caused people in Sweden to ask themselves whether they really, really need a RF? Maybe he should do a Juan Carlos and let Victoria take over? I don't know, I'm not a Swede. Didn't have CG older sisters who may have been better fit for the throne? It's all so arbitrary. For centuries, girls didn't count. Or only as last resort. Then, the laws are changed. Great. So maybe it was a mistake that they didn't change the law earlier?

Sorry if I sound a bit rambling... but I can totally understand if Swedes want to get rid of the monarchy. But V&D seem to make a real effort to be relevant and in touch, don't they? Sometimes I wonder how many monarchies will be left in 15, 20 years. the world is changing quickly now.

I agree.  I’d be sorry to see the royal families cease to exist just from a dishing standpoint, but really, it’s hard to justify the existence of them otherwise.  The bowing, scraping and favor paid to them is kind of nauseating when stopping to think about it.  They’re no better than any of the rest of us.  Kind of dumb that in this day and age we still have such a thing.  

My opinion really started changing when the couple who shall not be named started up.  Since then, my opinion of all of them started going south.  
Tsarina

Micro Member

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: September 27, 2020, 08:53:37 PM »

Every country with a monarchy has been affected by these movements. Some more than others, Belgium and Spain are always thought to be hanging in the balance, so to say.

I agree with previous posters, a well liked monarch/royal family can help improve a monarchy’s lasting power.

I lived the first years of my life under a dictatorship and then in a republic. I honestly don’t mind a well run, of the people, monarchy. Particularly after living in the US Crazy

V&D seem to be a class act, hopefully they are given a chance to run the show one day.
periwinkle

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: September 27, 2020, 10:35:11 PM »

I remember reading something in the archives about how Victoria was truly clueless about how she didn't understand that Swedes were like this close to getting rid of her family. There was something shocking to her about that revelation and she rejected it and that along was shocking for me to read. Like talk about living in a very unfortunate bubble. I think her kids are fine here we don't really know what is going on. The arm fold could definitely be Estelle asserting herself against going out at all or her mother but she is not acting out. What some people are calling attitude is really developmentally normal throughout childhood when you are learning how to deal with and manage feelings. Can't read too much into this without more information so the benefit of the doubt it is but yes the parenting while loving may not be helping the kids take other views into account.
karma chamelion

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: September 27, 2020, 11:10:24 PM »

My feelings towards Vic and Dan have cooled a lot since they have been so publicly chummy with Sofia, it shows me that they will put up with a lot to give the front of a happy, cohesive family when we all know they all have their issues. The need in this family to look perfect from the outside, like Mrs Joker's addiction to PS, is the wrong focus. Apparently no one ever taught the Bernadottes that it's what's inside that counts. Same goes for almost every monarchy out there though.

I'm anti-monarchist for the most part unless the country's people feel the system works for them. I think even if all the thrones tumbled we'd still have plenty to dish about, maybe even more so!

But, I still think way too much is being made of Estelle's crossed arms in one photo. I'll wait to pass judgement on her parents' childrearing skills until I see more examples, for now she seems a serious young lady but not ill-behaved.
Tsarina

Micro Member

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: September 28, 2020, 01:57:40 AM »

Honestly, I wouldn’t expect them to be anything but nice to Sofia. Regardless of what they feel about her, she’s married to her brother and is the mother of her nephews. Being openly hostile, negative, or even neutral toward her would ruin their family relationship. Even from the more relaxed and off-duty photos of Madeleine we see that she tries to get along with Sofia as well. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet, because as much as you may not like it, that’s who your family chose. Both she and Madeleine have chosen to be there for their brother (probably with an “I told you so” speech before they married). I can’t fault them for that.

IMVHO every single family has their issues, often the more of a “perfect” front they put forward - the more issues they have. But I don’t expect any family, royal or otherwise to act coldly or display their displeasure with any one of their members publicly (I still remember when this was the norm before social media ). Even Lizzie maintains a cordial public relationship with Princess Alexandra, and we all know what is “rumored” to have happened there.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 02:10:40 AM by Tsarina » Logged
karma chamelion

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: September 28, 2020, 02:42:24 AM »

Yes of course they are nice because she married Vic's brother, believe me I get having to bite that particular bullet. But I would be lying if I said I didn't lose respect for Dan in the way he interacts with her. Can't help it, I used to really like Dan a lot but not as much anymore.
Tsarina

Micro Member

Ignore
« Reply #239 on: September 28, 2020, 03:54:55 AM »

Yes of course they are nice because she married Vic's brother, believe me I get having to bite that particular bullet. But I would be lying if I said I didn't lose respect for Dan in the way he interacts with her. Can't help it, I used to really like Dan a lot but not as much anymore.

I’m not a fan of the way he interacts with her whatsoever. It was so odd to me at first and still is. It honestly gave me a bad vibe. All I can come up with is that maybe he feels sorry for her? He may know that others don’t like her, particularly in their circle, and having been there himself, is being kinder than any other person would be. That’s all I hope it is, but I’ll bite my tongue until we get any concrete proof on that front.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 22   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: