Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 43   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: British Royal News 2020.  (Read 123635 times)
ralf103

Huge Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2020, 02:05:54 PM »

So in theory Charles could ask his siblings to step down doing public duties but still pay them personal allowances from the Duchy of Lancaster for personal income but save on paying for their official costs and offices from the Sovereign Grant. This may well be what happens with the cousins under Charles IMO.

Given recent events I suspect Edwards/Sophie and Anne are perhaps quite safe as Charles will need more than just William and Kate supporting him especially in the first few years.
jolene

Large Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2020, 04:51:51 PM »

So in theory Charles could ask his siblings to step down doing public duties but still pay them personal allowances from the Duchy of Lancaster for personal income but save on paying for their official costs and offices from the Sovereign Grant. This may well be what happens with the cousins under Charles IMO.

Given recent events I suspect Edwards/Sophie and Anne are perhaps quite safe as Charles will need more than just William and Kate supporting him especially in the first few years.
Agree. If the Kents and Gloucesters get retired or whatever, it can't just be William's family that does engagements. Yes, Charles and Anne are workhorses, but Camilla is slowing a little. I have a feeling Anne will be much like her parents and will hang in until very very old. Sophie and Ed will def be needed and maybe Bea and Eugenie help out. Andy is gone. The OTs are gone.
Paulina

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2020, 04:58:02 PM »

Maybe this one is for Luvcharkes: how is the income made from all these Duchys? What generates the income that goes straight to the sovereign or heir? The work of the local people? Property taxes? Sales taxes? Farming?
Thanks!
Duchess of Verona

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2020, 05:07:36 PM »

They own huge tract of land and collect lots of rent. In the case of the Duchy of Cornwall it's 135,000 acres.
Duchess of Verona

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2020, 05:08:09 PM »

SouthernBelle

Big Member

With my thumbs I like to think I'm probably useful

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2020, 06:55:27 PM »

Agree. If the Kents and Gloucesters get retired or whatever, it can't just be William's family that does engagements. Yes, Charles and Anne are workhorses, but Camilla is slowing a little. I have a feeling Anne will be much like her parents and will hang in until very very old. Sophie and Ed will def be needed and maybe Bea and Eugenie help out. Andy is gone. The OTs are gone.

I think Bea and Eug can help out to replace the other two. It's going to be about 20 years before the Cambridge children become full-time royals so they can use the extra help. Charles and Camilla are in their 70s, Ed, Sophie and Anne are getting older, and W&K won't be able to shoulder the load by themselves.

lilyrose

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2020, 09:06:55 PM »

sorry to mention it again,but what exactly "senior royal"means?

Is it means the main line ?or HRH? or those who get money from Sovereign Grant?

Just to answer this publicly in case anyone else is wondering, a senior royal is any person in the family who is a HRH and does public engagements for the Queen. At the moment (excluding the three controversial members), this would be the Queen, Charles, Camilla, Anne, Edward, Sophie, William, Kate, the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, Duke of Kent and Princess Alexandra of Kent.

HRHs who are not senior royals would be Philip (although he may still be considered a senior royal in spite of retiring, not sure) George, Charlote, Louis, Beatrice, Eugenie, (legally) James and Louise, the Duchess of Kent and Prince and Princess Michael.

I think Bea and Eug can help out to replace the other two. It's going to be about 20 years before the Cambridge children become full-time royals so they can use the extra help. Charles and Camilla are in their 70s, Ed, Sophie and Anne are getting older, and W&K won't be able to shoulder the load by themselves.

I was thinking how even in the next 15-20 years, the BRF will lose a good half of their working members. The Kent siblings are in their 80s and have both had recent health issues; the Gloucesters in their 70s. Charles is 71, Camilla is 72, Anne is 69. I would not at all be shocked if all seven of them (and the Queen as well, obviously) had passed by 2040. What is currently being spread out among 15 adults would be reduced to only William, Kate, Edward, Sophie and maybe George and Charlotte.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 09:15:54 PM by lilyrose » Logged
luvcharles

Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2020, 01:29:25 AM »

Maybe this one is for Luvcharkes: how is the income made from all these Duchys? What generates the income that goes straight to the sovereign or heir? The work of the local people? Property taxes? Sales taxes? Farming?
Thanks!

Like most of the rich throughout history they own land ... which they rent out to others so the land generates income from rents.

The Duchy of Cornwall, over the centuries, also acquired large tracts of land, not only in the west of England (Cornwall and Devon) but in London itself. The Oval Cricket Ground, for instance, is owned by the Duchy of Cornwall and there are many office blocks as well as residential blocks on that land - again the rents give the Duchy large amounts of income. It is this tract of land in south London that explains why the Duchy of Cornwall is richer than the Duchy of Lancaster as the Duchy of Lancaster doesn't have as much land in London (if any).

In the middle ages, this land was all farmland, but it is now across a range of industries.

jolene

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2020, 05:01:15 AM »

Was in the UK a few times and had to pay to visit Kensington Palace, Tower of London, Windsor Castle, etc. Where does that money go? I don't mind if it goes to the restoration or upkeep of historical buildings. I'd hate them to go into ruin.
Ellie

Muted
Ginormous Member

proud moron thx Scooby Doo

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2020, 05:13:13 AM »

The money goes to Historic Royal Palaces for upkeep and paying staff.

writing angry fauxminist letters in the Lesbaru
Chandrasekhi

Gigantic Member

Vanuatu Vanuatu

The Memorial Wall along the Southbank in London

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2020, 05:22:51 AM »

With no mention of the characterless unmentionables, in the last century has the BRF ever experienced the shakedown the likes of which it is currently experiencing? Crazy Crazy Crazy

Paulina

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2020, 05:24:36 AM »

Hugely helpful Duchess and luvCharles. It really IS like downtown Abbey with the land and rent!
luvcharles

Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2020, 06:44:57 AM »

With no mention of the characterless unmentionables, in the last century has the BRF ever experienced the shakedown the likes of which it is currently experiencing? Crazy Crazy Crazy

WWI - saw a lot of royals lose their HRH status via the 1917 LPs e.g. Prince Louis of Battenburg even commented on a weekend house party that he 'arrived a prince and left a lord' as he had been Prince Louis before the changes and the Marquis of Milford Haven afterwards.

To me this seems as if the plans for the smaller royal family will end up coming but instead of the siblings and children of the monarch it will only be the heir in each generation. How they will do all the Commonwealth tours is still to be seen (unless they decide that the second son/child should become the monarch's Commonwealth Ambassador to travel through the Commonwealth as their 'royal work'. That would give them a clear purpose and have them out of Britain (of course the monarch and heir would still visit the 'realms' and other Commonwealth countries but not as often as happens now).
Princess MS

Warned
Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2020, 06:57:23 AM »

WWI - saw a lot of royals lose their HRH status via the 1917 LPs e.g. Prince Louis of Battenburg even commented on a weekend house party that he 'arrived a prince and left a lord' as he had been Prince Louis before the changes and the Marquis of Milford Haven afterwards.

To me this seems as if the plans for the smaller royal family will end up coming but instead of the siblings and children of the monarch it will only be the heir in each generation. How they will do all the Commonwealth tours is still to be seen (unless they decide that the second son/child should become the monarch's Commonwealth Ambassador to travel through the Commonwealth as their 'royal work'. That would give them a clear purpose and have them out of Britain (of course the monarch and heir would still visit the 'realms' and other Commonwealth countries but not as often as happens now).

Most of the Commonwealth won't miss a visit from Royals... they cost money and many current residents have no link to the UK - that was past generations and they have or are dying out.
Nappyolean

Warned
Mini Member

France France

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2020, 08:54:30 AM »

I feel as though such a slimmed down Monarchy puts so much pressure on the Cambridge children. What happens if George or Charlotte follow in their Uncle OT footsteps and donít want the Royal life.  Slimming down is good but Charles should know he canít assume everyone born into the BRF will be able or willing to be in the family business. I hope he is keeping his options open.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 43   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: