Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: British Royal News 2020.  (Read 57136 times)
Margaret

Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #405 on: July 02, 2020, 01:34:05 AM »

Here's an idea I've been percolating of late - we know that the Queen Mum and HM were wont to visit the WI each January. I don't think HM was able to do so this year. Since the Cambridges are at Sandringham quite a bit, would it not be a good idea for Kate to take this over, either now or definitely when HM passes. Just a thought.

Not until Cam is queen. Perceived as too matronly, too old, too stuffy and possibly not relevant  for Kate to associate with it - yet.

Which is a pity because a late 30 something year old royal participating regularly would go a long way to helping the WI shake the "only old women" thing.  I don't think she should take over but rather join as well.  I loved the 100th when The Queen, Anne, and Sophie all went...they looked like they had a ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqWekOikUXY

*Note that Charlotte was only a month old when this happened so it's very understandable that she wasn't there representing the younger generation.  For the 125th (in 2040) it would be lovely to see all everyone including Kate and Charlotte attend (and George's wife if he has one but he'd only be 27).

I agree.  The WI is for all women and I think it would be great if Kate joined.  Her involvement might inspire more women in early middle-age to join.
Lady Adelaide

Ginormous Member

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #406 on: August 09, 2020, 07:37:00 PM »

The Queen and the Wessexes were spotted out walking at Balmoral

https://www.dailymail.co....al-Estate-Glen-Muick.html

periwinkle

Huge Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #407 on: August 09, 2020, 08:31:42 PM »

Why are they going in different directions? Who is the older lady someone related to the family or just like a lady in waiting kind of thing (or is that the same thing?)
karma chamelion

Huge Member

Salvia microphylla 'Hot Lips'

Ignore
« Reply #408 on: August 09, 2020, 09:03:42 PM »

Why are they going in different directions? Who is the older lady someone related to the family or just like a lady in waiting kind of thing (or is that the same thing?)

QEII's lady in waiting is currently The Honourable Mary Morrison, I suppose it could be her but the photos are not very clear.

Nice to see HM and the Sussexes out enjoying each other's company, glad she still has some youngish grandchildren to enjoy. It looks like she's inspecting a road washout and some wetland, perhaps putting some mitigation plans together for the coming rainy season. Not very interesting for kids and puppies who like to run wild.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 10:33:51 PM by karma chamelion » Logged
Jonathan

Gigantic Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Life's hard being fabulous

Ignore
« Reply #409 on: August 09, 2020, 09:14:51 PM »

I think it is the Duchess of Abercorn

Advice to my Brother on his wedding day

Never say

I know you do
I've had better
Did you say something
karma chamelion

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #410 on: August 09, 2020, 10:36:00 PM »

Sadly I think the Duchess of Abercorn has passed.
tsarinya

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #411 on: August 09, 2020, 10:37:16 PM »

Sadly I think the Duchess of Abercorn has passed.
Yes, she passed in 2018.
kbart

Micro Member

Ignore
« Reply #412 on: Yesterday at 12:30:03 AM »

I'm putting a bid in for the LiW being Lady Susan Hussey who is a fair bit younger and taller than HM.
karma chamelion

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #413 on: Yesterday at 01:18:16 AM »

I'm putting a bid in for the LiW being Lady Susan Hussey who is a fair bit younger and taller than HM.

I think you may be right, don't know why I didn't think of her. I had noticed how tall the lady was and Mary Morrison didn't seem that tall.
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #414 on: Yesterday at 02:04:28 AM »

What is the name of the Duchess of Abercorn?
luvcharles

Warned
Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #415 on: Yesterday at 03:25:43 AM »

The late Duchess of Abercorn was Sacha Hamilton  https://en.wikipedia.org/...lton,_Duchess_of_Abercorn
tsarinya

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #416 on: Yesterday at 09:14:30 PM »

May be a silly question but what do modern ladies in waiting do for the Queen? From what I’ve read and seen they used to help the last get dressed and was their confidante and sometimes did admin roles for them. But with Angela Kelly being the dresser, curator and personal assistant doesn’t that take away most of the role for modern LIW?
Lady Liebe

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #417 on: Yesterday at 09:22:16 PM »

I already knew they accompanied her on engagements, and that they also handle quite a bit of her correspondence. I did find this on Historyplex -

The current ladies-in-waiting of the Queen Elizabeth II work part-time for two weeks and take four weeks off. When on duty, they stay with the queen. They accompany her when the Duke of Edinburgh is not available. They carry bouquets that are given to the queen on her visits. They handle her correspondence. They keep track of her engagements and help her. The ladies-in-waiting attend public and personal matters of the queen.

✦ They are not paid, but given allowances. They do not receive a regular salary as they serve for honor.

✦ They serve for several years and do not retire. If a lady is unable to carry out her duties due to ill health, she is appointed as an extra, but keeps the title.

I would say it's a pretty fair job description, except that bit about serving for several years. Lady Susan Hussey has been with HM for quite awhile - since Andrew was born. HM lent her out to help Diana settle in.

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:31:29 PM by Lady Liebe » Logged

Compassion without truth isn't love, it's flattery. Love not only weeps, it also speaks.   Reagan Rose
Queen’s Tea

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #418 on: Yesterday at 09:23:58 PM »

I already knew they accompanied her on engagements, and that they also handle quite a bit of her correspondence. I did find this on Historyplex -

The current ladies-in-waiting of the Queen Elizabeth II work part-time for two weeks and take four weeks off. When on duty, they stay with the queen. They accompany her when the Duke of Edinburgh is not available. They carry bouquets that are given to the queen on her visits. They handle her correspondence. They keep track of her engagements and help her. The ladies-in-waiting attend public and personal matters of the queen.

✦ They are not paid, but given allowances. They do not receive a regular salary as they serve for honor.

✦ They serve for several years and do not retire. If a lady is unable to carry out her duties due to ill health, she is appointed as an extra, but keeps the title.

Very interesting - I always wondered about this.  Thank you for posting that info!!
karma chamelion

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #419 on: Yesterday at 11:48:19 PM »

I already knew they accompanied her on engagements, and that they also handle quite a bit of her correspondence. I did find this on Historyplex -

I would say it's a pretty fair job description, except that bit about serving for several years. Lady Susan Hussey has been with HM for quite awhile - since Andrew was born. HM lent her out to help Diana settle in.

Lady Susan and Anne Beckwith-Smith were so good with her before it all went off the tracks, I admired them both very much.

I was trying to look up information for when Lady Susan (now Baroness) joined the court and it was very hard to find. She's very discrete, there is very little information on the interwebs about her. Apparently she joined QEII in 1960 making this her 60th Anniversary year! Amazing woman and what an asset to the Queen.  Champagne
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: