Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 127   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coronavirus outbreak  (Read 99366 times)
genegal43

Huge Member

All I got was a Nancy Pearl Action Figure...

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2020, 06:27:12 PM »

Wisconsin:  https://fox11online.com/n...aA-YriHiUVKy-mFQ09jIlHYEY

Genealogy: shrinking the world one person at a time!
Lady Liebe

Huge Member

United States United States

Harlequin

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2020, 11:49:17 PM »

https://gisanddata.maps.a...740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

This is a handy site from Johns Hopkins for keeping track of the progression of the coronavirus.

Not all heroes wear capes. Some of them wear scrubs. Some of them wear uniforms. And some of them wear what you're wearing right now. Dr. Amy Acton
GoodGollyMissMolly

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2020, 01:07:36 AM »

I feel like I should go ahead and say this. As long as you follow basic rules of the winter season and limit your air travel, your chances of catching Coronavirus is slim.
genegal43

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2020, 04:43:57 PM »

It looks like on the cruise ship the virus is spreading: https://www.dailymail.co....OUBLES-130-overnight.html

Then this morning I saw this about North Korea:https://www.news.com.au/w...be4d1f542b20b9162b6df4852

anastasia beaverhausen

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2020, 04:59:27 PM »

This is a handy site from Johns Hopkins for keeping track of the progression of the coronavirus.

Thank you LL  Star

Wow - 40,000 confirmed cases with just under 1000 deaths?  That is scary.
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2020, 05:28:55 PM »

Thank you LL  Star

No, it isn't actually. At least not at that point. More people fall ill with the influenza and die from it.
What however is scary is, that we got a taste of what might come if there was a Virus or Bacteria both very contagious and a lot more fatal.
We are still basking in modern medical achievements, with antibiotics, antiviral drugs and excellent sanitation keeping the western industrialized world safe from epidemics like the plague or cholera.
But we now we are faced with the almost  impossible task to contain an epidemic from spreading and even though China implemented a strict (and ruthless) quarantine (seriously hardly any other country on this planet would have managed that quite as well as China did ) borders closed, evacuated expats went into quarantine in their home countries, even though everyone is indeed apprehensive and careful, the virus spreads.
The Chinese are extremely obedient and calm, imagine being forced into virtual house arrest: I dare say, in many other countries there would already be very alarming social problems with possibly looting as the shops and streets are deserted and not even police are out to patrol, people would start needing food, however since many people aren't working, there is neither stuff at the markets, nor much money to spend it....
Have such a virus break or run riot in a country that can less strictly control her citizens, and we have a much bigger issue at hand. There would be no way we could contain it.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Lady Liebe

Huge Member

Harlequin

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2020, 05:39:59 PM »

First, it would be a nightmare to be stuck on one of those cruise ships.

Second, the virus has not hit Africa or South America as yet. It could spread very fast in either of those places.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 06:18:04 PM by Lady Liebe » Logged

Not all heroes wear capes. Some of them wear scrubs. Some of them wear uniforms. And some of them wear what you're wearing right now. Dr. Amy Acton
Jonathan

Gigantic Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Life's hard being fabulous

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2020, 05:45:29 PM »

A health care worker has it and they have closed the surgery down the road from me.

Advice to my Brother on his wedding day

Never say

I know you do
I've had better
Did you say something
Miss Marple

Humongous Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2020, 06:04:10 PM »

A health care worker has it and they have closed the surgery down the road from me.

Stay safe. I think the problem is the mobility of people. Everyone travels everywhere and brings stuff to different places.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2020, 07:51:17 PM »

Stay safe. I think the problem is the mobility of people. Everyone travels everywhere and brings stuff to different places.

Indeed stay safe!

Very recent there were 4 or 5 victims in France, apparently all British. Source was according to the news a Brit who had traveled to and from Singapore. So I guess he contracted the disease in Singapore.
anastasia beaverhausen

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2020, 12:50:18 AM »

Thank you LL  Star

No, it isn't actually. At least not at that point. More people fall ill with the influenza and die from it.
What however is scary is, that we got a taste of what might come if there was a Virus or Bacteria both very contagious and a lot more fatal.
We are still basking in modern medical achievements, with antibiotics, antiviral drugs and excellent sanitation keeping the western industrialized world safe from epidemics like the plague or cholera.
But we now we are faced with the almost  impossible task to contain an epidemic from spreading and even though China implemented a strict (and ruthless) quarantine (seriously hardly any other country on this planet would have managed that quite as well as China did ) borders closed, evacuated expats went into quarantine in their home countries, even though everyone is indeed apprehensive and careful, the virus spreads.
The Chinese are extremely obedient and calm, imagine being forced into virtual house arrest: I dare say, in many other countries there would already be very alarming social problems with possibly looting as the shops and streets are deserted and not even police are out to patrol, people would start needing food, however since many people aren't working, there is neither stuff at the markets, nor much money to spend it....
Have such a virus break or run riot in a country that can less strictly control her citizens, and we have a much bigger issue at hand. There would be no way we could contain it.

I meant “scary” as that’s a rather high mortality rate. The 2.5% is higher than the Spanish Flu outbreak of 1918.

And I agree with the rest of your post. A large outbreak here in the US would be ridiculously hard to contain.
genegal43

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2020, 02:22:44 AM »

Thank you LL  Star

I meant “scary” as that’s a rather high mortality rate. The 2.5% is higher than the Spanish Flu outbreak of 1918.

And I agree with the rest of your post. A large outbreak here in the US would be ridiculously hard to contain.

We've had schools close down for a couple of days because of illness going through the schools, one district shut down because the elementary school had 70 absences in one day.  Another teacher in another school district commented that the day after they got back from Christmas vacation one of the schools had 40 absences!  I've talked with my library director about shutting down and it seems that a directive would have to come down from the county before the library would shut down.  I've been disinfecting everything once a week at the library!

cordtx

Warned
Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2020, 09:02:46 PM »

An infectious disease doctor said he predicts 67% of the world’s population will get it.
There is no way to control it now since the Chinese lied for 2 weeks about what was happening at the beginning.
Not sure if it’s true , just reporting what he said.
GoodGollyMissMolly

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2020, 12:48:13 AM »

An infectious disease doctor said he predicts 67% of the world’s population will get it.
There is no way to control it now since the Chinese lied for 2 weeks about what was happening at the beginning.
Not sure if it’s true , just reporting what he said.

The only source I am seeing for that is the Daily Mail. I'm not seeing that reported anywhere else, and the US media loves nothing more than inducing doomsday scenarios, so I'll take it with a grain of salt until I get a report from the CDC.
cordtx

Warned
Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2020, 04:20:26 AM »

Very true but I literally heard the guy say it and was an infectious disease doctor but I don’t think from the CDC
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 127   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: