Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 130   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coronavirus outbreak  (Read 111504 times)
Mariola

Micro Member

Spain Spain

Ignore
« Reply #1890 on: June 01, 2020, 07:10:23 PM »

You know, the difficulty with this virus is that every person/population/region/country has such vastly differering experiences that it's almost impossible to fully grasp another person's experience.

My mom (78) lives in the north of NL. Her lungs aren't the best, so she stuck to social distancing, which for her was exercising outdoors early in the morning, seeing friends only outside of their houses (talking over the hedge at 2 metres distance), going to the supermarket in quiet hours and a LOT of gardening and Netflix. No meeting ppl indoors at all. She regularly visits us to hug Lil'P and The Pomster, but we didn't meet her from early March until last Thursday. Just to be on the safe side. Yet, in her area (say 40 mins drive either way) only a handful of ppl got infected and none died. The local hospitals took in patients from the south. The group of students from the north that went skiing in Italy (on the border with France, hundreds of kms away from Lombardy/Dolomiti where the first hotspot was) were there before the full lockdown took place, but when only parts of Italy were locked down. None of them tested positive btw.

Contrast this with my SIL and BIL who live in the south (also a 1.5 hour drive away from us). It's carnival country, and most covid-cases were here. Thousands got infected during the carnival parties (21-25 February, which was the same week that the south/middle had their spring (skiing) school holiday; which btw was from 15-22 Feb in the north, so basically families with kids weren't the ones that caught it in Italy/Ischgl and spread it during carnival, because carnival was over once they got back).
Subsequently, thousands more got infected (this was going on before the full lockdown in Itay happened. Italy closed around March 8 IIRC, so a week after the skiers returned.

We went into social distancing mode in the south at the end of Feb and in countrywide semi-lockdown by March 13 (schools March 16). This included social distancing, work from home, all education and childcare closed, no visits to care homes, many businesses (temporarily) closed.
Still my ILs saw no harm in letting their daughters have a string of mini-birthday parties (with max. 2 visitors at one time) for their birthdays, indoors, without 1.5 metre distancing (I have the pics to prove it), in the weekend of 28/29 March!  Fortunately none of them got sick.

Needless to say we politely declined the invitation. We spent lockdown working from home, we had our kids completely grounded apart form a trip to the icecream parlor takeaway or a bike ride around the woods, for almost 2 months. No sports, only online meetups with friends. We did have the occasional visitor but they stayed outside or well over 1.5 metres away if in the home. Shopping - always alone, at the quiet hours. We spent a lot of time outside in the garden, and the Pomster had full days of online school anyway. We only had cabin fever in the first week. No hoarding at all.

All of these different stories sound like total paradise compared to the woes, fears, stress, worries, catastrophes and acts of fortitude many of you or your loved ones went through. Simply because our experiences were rather rosy, millions of others have suffered and are suffering. This is not the place to judge who had it worse, or who's overreacting. All I can offer is my sympathy and love and a big hug to encourage you all.

This - absolutely. I hope nobody thinks I was doing either thing.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #1891 on: June 08, 2020, 02:09:34 PM »

After having read: David Quammen - Spillover (2012)

I started with another interesting one, this time about the Spanish Flu. Laura Spinney - Pale Rider (2018)

Reading them out of personal interests (and because of my previous studies in Health sciences) and because of the connection with the Corona outbreak.
karma chamelion

Huge Member

United States United States

Salvia microphylla 'Hot Lips'

Ignore
« Reply #1892 on: June 08, 2020, 07:04:46 PM »

Since the topic popped back up I wanted to let you know my second test came back negative about a week ago. My symptoms have subsided as well, but they seem to come and go (low fever, achy, nausea, sore throat...)

I haven't heard back from my (former?) employer about returning to work, I'm considering myself unemployed at this point and am getting state assistance. Doubt very much that he'll call me back in, but if he does my doctor is ready to say I need to follow the Governor's stay home order.

On Saturday, after partial openings in I think 7 counties (not King County where I live) we had the highest increase in new cases for two months. I think they started opening too soon, mainly because of President Cheetoh.
Thistle

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #1893 on: June 08, 2020, 07:59:16 PM »

Good to know your 2nd test was negative Hug

I had a horrible dry cough for two weeks, and for a couple days it was together with shortness of breath, sore throat, low fever and muscular pain. As soon I called the health line they scheduled a test for a couple of hours later and was put immediately in full quaranteen for 15 days. They come to my house to do the covid testing, as my set of sympthoms were not a good mix and I do not have a car and live alone. In case of being positive, they did not wanted me to be around contaminating people. First test was inconclusive.

I have repeated the test twice and both were negative. Today I finally had permission to leave the house and see family/friends. Most sympthoms went away after 2/3 days, only the cough persisted and is now finally disappearing. I had a doctor calling me everyday to check up me, to know about my physical and mental state. Seems that is standard procedures to all suspected and positive cases. Good to know people are not alone in case they have it, or live in the limbo of possibly having the bug.

The doctors still believe I could have been exposed, the symptoms matched and that first test being inconclusive. They already requested me to do the imunologic tests next month to see if I am adquiring immuno defenses agains the virus.

Reading can seriously damage your ignorance
karma chamelion

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #1894 on: June 08, 2020, 08:18:32 PM »

Thank you, Thistle. I'm sorry you had to go through it, too. It's good to know you are getting good care, I don't know what I would have done without my doctor taking such good care of me. Hug

My theory is I had it the virus a while ago and it's gone now but I'm suffering after-effects. Pure speculation, but I've never felt this way before. The symptoms wax and wain but never go completely away. It will be interesting in years to come to have some of the mystery surrounding this disease lifted, hopefully.
Thistle

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #1895 on: June 08, 2020, 08:43:15 PM »

My doctor's theory is that we caught it when it was going away already. I have alergic rhinitis and Spring is a torment. I usually have dry cough for a month or so and sometimes I do small fever when the inflamation gets too bad, when flowers explode. They think the early sympthoms were hidden with the rhinitis and I initally ignored the first signs. The polen season was extreme here this year.

Reading can seriously damage your ignorance
karma chamelion

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #1896 on: June 08, 2020, 09:08:27 PM »

I agree with your doctor's theory, I'm glad they shared that with you. I think a lot of people wrote symptoms off to allergies, including the person I came into contact with at work.

JMO but I think we may have started to reopen businesses too soon (I understand that people need to get back to work) and now that people are starting up activities again we saw a sudden surge over the weekend. We shall see, but I think many people have brushed off symptoms or are asymptomatic carriers.
Paulina

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #1897 on: June 08, 2020, 10:12:16 PM »

Last night I started watching this lecture series via Netflix or Amazon.

https://www.thegreatcours...t-devastating-plague.html

It's taught by a medievalist at Purdue University. It's so interesting! It really is like sitting in a lecture class but with slides and pictures. Professor Dorsey Armstrong is really good at making history come alive. I'm going to watch all 24 episodes.

Cyrilsebastian, this is your kind of show!
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #1898 on: June 09, 2020, 03:03:48 PM »

Since the topic popped back up I wanted to let you know my second test came back negative about a week ago. My symptoms have subsided as well, but they seem to come and go (low fever, achy, nausea, sore throat...)

I haven't heard back from my (former?) employer about returning to work, I'm considering myself unemployed at this point and am getting state assistance. Doubt very much that he'll call me back in, but if he does my doctor is ready to say I need to follow the Governor's stay home order.

On Saturday, after partial openings in I think 7 counties (not King County where I live) we had the highest increase in new cases for two months. I think they started opening too soon, mainly because of President Cheetoh.

Good to hear it was negative!
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #1899 on: June 09, 2020, 03:06:38 PM »

My doctor's theory is that we caught it when it was going away already. I have alergic rhinitis and Spring is a torment. I usually have dry cough for a month or so and sometimes I do small fever when the inflamation gets too bad, when flowers explode. They think the early sympthoms were hidden with the rhinitis and I initally ignored the first signs. The polen season was extreme here this year.

Good to hear you are currently tested negative.

I can remember that in NL there were messages about the (disguising) effects of allergies and hay fever on the Corona virus. The public was warnt about it.
Lady Liebe

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #1900 on: June 09, 2020, 07:20:33 PM »

Very glad for the good reports from Karma and Thistle.  Jumping

The Black Death: The World's Most Devastating Plague may also available from your local Library. I've got it on hold right now.

I've listened to lectures in the Great Courses series before and they've been interesting and never dry. This will be the first video I've seen and am looking forward to it.  Star for Paulina's recommendation.

Compassion without truth isn't love, it's flattery. Love not only weeps, it also speaks.   Reagan Rose
Paulina

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #1901 on: June 09, 2020, 10:37:55 PM »

Awww.  Grin
Lady Liebe

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #1902 on: June 10, 2020, 05:58:22 PM »

For those of you with children - i found this today, and even though it was created with the pandemic in mind, they are still interesting engineering experiments for anytime. They use readily available household items which is always a plus. There are 40 experiments/challenges in all. I particularly like the Golden Gate Bridge made entirely of spaghetti.  Grin

https://www.dyson.com/new...lenges-to-do-at-home.html

Compassion without truth isn't love, it's flattery. Love not only weeps, it also speaks.   Reagan Rose
Lady Liebe

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #1903 on: June 12, 2020, 06:39:30 PM »

For everyone who has young children:

https://www.cleveland.com...s-town-hall-saturday.html

On CNN at 10am.

Former Ohio Department of Health Director Dr. Amy Acton will appear Saturday on a CNN town hall with characters from “Sesame Street” to educate kids and parents about coronavirus safety.

cordtx

Warned
Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #1904 on: June 12, 2020, 06:42:45 PM »

Well Texas has been opened back up since Memorial Day.  I was the only one at the store last night in a mask and some teenage girls were snarking about it behind my back  Snare

Anyway, the Houston mayor just said covid is getting out of control there and Dallas isn’t far behind. So frustrating
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 130   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: