Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 161   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coronavirus outbreak  (Read 164631 times)
genegal43

Huge Member

All I got was a Nancy Pearl Action Figure...

Ignore
« Reply #2355 on: November 15, 2020, 02:04:49 AM »

my 93-yr-old dad has been in and out of the hospital many times since May and currently has been in since 11-6 (not covid-related). the hospital has a no-visitor policy, but because of the circumstances, they allowed me to visit him yesterday. they were going to let me see him today too, but they called at the last minute (I was literally in the car on the way there) and said they've had a significant uptick in covid admissions overnight/today and now, absolutely no visitors

i'm so grateful i was able to spend time with him yesterday. he's dying (could be weeks, could be less) and i've decided to have him admitted into hospice care (at home). if everything goes smoothly i'll sign the papers tomorrow and his dr. will discharge him to come home on monday. if it weren't for this dreadful disease, he might be able to spend more time in the hospital, but at this point it's safer for him to be home.

my heart goes out to everyone who has loved ones in the hospital that they can't visit because of this.

My coworker has a friend who is really struggling health wise now and went to the hospital but was sent home.  She wondered if they would send out home health nurses during this time in order to help her out.

Genealogy: shrinking the world one person at a time!
anastasia beaverhausen

Humongous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2356 on: November 15, 2020, 03:29:36 AM »

my 93-yr-old dad has been in and out of the hospital many times since May and currently has been in since 11-6 (not covid-related). the hospital has a no-visitor policy, but because of the circumstances, they allowed me to visit him yesterday. they were going to let me see him today too, but they called at the last minute (I was literally in the car on the way there) and said they've had a significant uptick in covid admissions overnight/today and now, absolutely no visitors

i'm so grateful i was able to spend time with him yesterday. he's dying (could be weeks, could be less) and i've decided to have him admitted into hospice care (at home). if everything goes smoothly i'll sign the papers tomorrow and his dr. will discharge him to come home on monday. if it weren't for this dreadful disease, he might be able to spend more time in the hospital, but at this point it's safer for him to be home.

my heart goes out to everyone who has loved ones in the hospital that they can't visit because of this.

Iím so sorry EAH. My heart goes out to you and your father.
fruela

Medium Member

Spain Spain

Ignore
« Reply #2357 on: November 15, 2020, 12:42:55 PM »

This is all so sad. I hope you can take your dad home ,shower him  with all your love ...and see his love for you in his eyes.
Duchess of Verona

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #2358 on: November 16, 2020, 11:48:49 PM »

You've made the right decision. Perhaps dad would live a little while longer in hospital, but he will enjoy his time more and have a far better quality of life at home. We should all be lucky enough to die peacefully  in our own bed, rather than being shocked endlessly and resuscitated in hospital at the end. Better to be comfortable in your own home, looking out at the birds . Put a bird feeder outside his window when he gets home.
Lady Liebe

Gigantic Member

Northern Parula

Ignore
« Reply #2359 on: November 18, 2020, 12:38:39 AM »

You've made the right decision. Perhaps dad would live a little while longer in hospital, but he will enjoy his time more and have a far better quality of life at home. We should all be lucky enough to die peacefully  in our own bed, rather than being shocked endlessly and resuscitated in hospital at the end. Better to be comfortable in your own home, looking out at the birds . Put a bird feeder outside his window when he gets home.

DOV said everything I was thinking EAH. I truly think you've made the very best decision for your Dad. This is exactly the kind of situation that Hospice care came into to being because of. Be at peace and just cherish this time with your Dad.

In other news - Ohio has chosen to do a 10pm to 5am curfew instead of a shutdown. Exceptions are 2nd and 3rd shift workers, restaurants can do drive through service, grocery stores and any all night pharmacies can operate.  Scientists and Doctors have okayed this. Part of the reason is the strain on mental health when we did the lockdown this spring. Lots of suicides and overdoses, not to mention depression and anxiety.
There will be a three week trial and then we'll reassess.

ETA:

Dolly Parton donated 1 million dollars in April to help fund Covid vaccine research.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/...a-vaccine-trnd/index.html

This does not come as a surprise. She was incredibly generous in the aftermath of the forest fires in the Great Smoky Mountains, and I admire very much her book giving program, the Imagination Library.

https://imaginationlibrary.com

« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 01:08:06 AM by Lady Liebe » Logged

"Let us remember that, as much has been given us, much will be expected from us, and that true homage comes from the heart as well as from the lips, and shows itself in deeds."

Theodore Roosevelt
karma chamelion

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #2360 on: November 18, 2020, 01:17:25 AM »

You've made the right decision. Perhaps dad would live a little while longer in hospital, but he will enjoy his time more and have a far better quality of life at home. We should all be lucky enough to die peacefully  in our own bed, rather than being shocked endlessly and resuscitated in hospital at the end. Better to be comfortable in your own home, looking out at the birds . Put a bird feeder outside his window when he gets home.

DOV said everything I was thinking EAH. I truly think you've made the very best decision for your Dad. This is exactly the kind of situation that Hospice care came into to being because of. Be at peace and just cherish this time with your Dad.

In other news - Ohio has chosen to do a 10pm to 5am curfew instead of a shutdown. Exceptions are 2nd and 3rd shift workers, restaurants can do drive through service, grocery stores and any all night pharmacies can operate.  Scientists and Doctors have okayed this. Part of the reason is the strain on mental health when we did the lockdown this spring. Lots of suicides and overdoses, not to mention depression and anxiety.
There will be a three week trial and then we'll reassess.

EAH Hug Your dad is lucky to have you looking after him, I'm sure it makes him very happy. And I agree with everyone else, definitely the right decision.

They just put Washington State back on lockdown and already I'm chatting with a friend who has done self harm. No She's an essential worker and one of the nicest ladies I know but the stress is killing her and now she can't go work out to relieve stress. No in-person AA meetings which are so vital to recovery, but liquor stores and pot shops are open! Snare
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 02:53:33 AM by karma chamelion » Logged
thecrownjewelthief

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #2361 on: November 18, 2020, 03:37:56 AM »

I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this right now Hug Glad you get to be around your dad, and I hope you and your family are able to enjoy some quiet and peaceful last days together with him.
editorathome
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Bouvet Island Bouvet Island

Ignore
« Reply #2362 on: November 19, 2020, 10:23:17 PM »

I'm not going to post about my Dad again in this thread - it's OT since he doesn't have Covid. But I wanted to thank you all for your very kind posts.

My Dad came home from the hospital Monday afternoon. Hospice brought a hospital bed, which is set up in the family room because that's where his big TV is, and there's also floor-to-ceiling windows so he can look out on the deck. There's a bird feeder and still a few birds around (but not for long - we're in the Chicago north suburbs). There's plenty of room for immediate family to visit. I've set up my "office" in here too, facing him, just a few feet away from the bed. He's been pretty comfortable most of the time, thank goodness (he doesn't have cancer, but a bunch of other things). Eating/drinking a tiny bit, but sleeping most of the time. Sometimes responsive when people are here, sometimes not - says a word or 2, then falls back asleep. I'm not ready to lose him...

Again, thank you all so much.
karma chamelion

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #2363 on: November 20, 2020, 02:27:43 AM »

EAH Hug That sounds very cozy. I don't feel like you're ot, the decisions you are having to make are directly related to Covid. Please let us know how you're getting on, it sounds like a great arrangement so far!
Paulina

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #2364 on: November 20, 2020, 06:26:43 AM »

Hug

Hospice is wonderful. This sounds like a great kind of exit, though so sad for you and your family. Hugs
luvcharles

Warned
Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2365 on: November 20, 2020, 06:30:12 AM »

This makes me so mad:

https://www.dailymail.co....ockdown-end-Saturday.html

An entire state went into the strictest of lockdowns because of this man's lies. Had he been truthful, it would have been a standard lock down but due to his lies the government believed they were dealing with a new and more virulent strain of the virus and so imposed a six day, not leave home, no exercise lock down (which they are now lifting three days early).

genegal43

Huge Member

All I got was a Nancy Pearl Action Figure...

Ignore
« Reply #2366 on: November 21, 2020, 06:49:54 PM »

This makes me so mad:

https://www.dailymail.co....ockdown-end-Saturday.html

An entire state went into the strictest of lockdowns because of this man's lies. Had he been truthful, it would have been a standard lock down but due to his lies the government believed they were dealing with a new and more virulent strain of the virus and so imposed a six day, not leave home, no exercise lock down (which they are now lifting three days early).

Ranting  You got to be sh****g me!  Everything in our life has been so interrupted and now we have fools like these spreading lies.

Genealogy: shrinking the world one person at a time!
Lady Liebe

Gigantic Member

Northern Parula

Ignore
« Reply #2367 on: November 22, 2020, 02:23:21 AM »

We're celebrating Thanksgiving amid a pandemic. Here's how we did it in 1918 ó and what happened next
On Thanksgiving more than a century ago, many Americans were living under quarantines, and officials were warning people to stay home for the holiday.

https://www.usatoday.com/...-flu-pandemic/6264231002/

And this is what happened after Thanksgiving back in 1918:

Third wave of influenza surges after the holidays

Just as cases rose after Armistice Day celebrations, they rose again following Thanksgiving. Dallas, Minneapolis, San Antonio, San Francisco and Seattle saw surges. Omaha relaunched a public health campaign. Parts of Cleveland and its suburbs closed schools and enacted influenza bans in early December.

On Dec. 6, the St. Paul Daily News announced that more than 40 Minneapolis schools were closed due to the flu, below the headline "SANTA CLAUS IS DOWN WITH THE FLU." Local health officials asked "moving picture show" managers to exclude children, closed Sunday schools and ordered department stores to dispense with "Santa Claus programs."

On Christmas Eve, state health officials in Nebraska made influenza a mandatory quarantine disease, with fines ranging from $15 to $100 for violations. Approximately 1,000 homes in Omaha were placarded, with their occupants unable to leave for at least four days after the fever had subsided.

In Denver, the Salvation Army cancelled their annual Christmas parties for children, and the Womenís Press Club canceled its New Yearís Eve ball. School Christmas assemblies were cancelled in Fall River, Massachusetts, and families with an influenza patient in their homes were warned not to entertain guests and were barred from borrowing books from the library.

By January, the U.S. was fully engulfed in its third wave of influenza. The virus spread throughout the winter and spring, killing thousands more. It would ultimately infect one-third of the world's population and kill approximately 675,000 Americans before subsiding in the summer of 1919.

"What did they do wrong? Thatís hard to say, but all of these measures are like swiss cheese. They have holes, so you try to use as many layers as possible," Markel said. "To me, those surges just represented whether there was social distancing or not. Flu didn't stop circulating, the question was when did people go out and get exposed to it? And thatís whatís going on now."

"Let us remember that, as much has been given us, much will be expected from us, and that true homage comes from the heart as well as from the lips, and shows itself in deeds."

Theodore Roosevelt
TLLK

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #2368 on: November 25, 2020, 01:03:10 AM »

The state of California has been found to be paying COVID 19 unemployment benefits to prison inmates including those on death row. Ranting Real mad

https://www.latimes.com/c...fits-to-death-row-inmates
Aubiette

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #2369 on: November 25, 2020, 01:28:17 AM »

The state of California has been found to be paying COVID 19 unemployment benefits to prison inmates including those on death row. Ranting Real mad

https://www.latimes.com/c...fits-to-death-row-inmates

Iím not the least bit surprised.
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 161   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: