Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EDUCATION IN THE TIME OF COVID-19  (Read 2312 times)
Chandrasekhi

Big Member

Vanuatu Vanuatu

Ignore
« on: March 17, 2020, 07:37:20 PM »

Dishers, COVID-19 has upended life as we know it. Life has always been precarious. COVID-19 has made it more so.  
This topic is dedicated to keeping the torch of education burning, despite the precariousness of our circumstances.
Please post links to educational resources to help scholars learn while schools remain closed.
If you can, please include grade guidance and special mention of material especially focused on learners with learning disorders.

GRADE KEY
EC:             Early Childhood, Kindergarten
LS:             Lower School [Grade 1-4]
MS:            Middle School [Grade 5-8]
HS:            High School [Grade 9-12]
AS:            All scholars
ALL:           For anyone, irrespective of age

LEARNING DISORDERS KEY
ADHD        Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder
APD:         Auditory Processing Disorder (APD)
ASD:            AUTISM / Autism Spectrum Disorders
DC:           Dyscalculia
DG:           Dysgraphia
DL:            Dyslexia
DP:            Dyspraxia
DPH:          Dysphasia/Aphasia    
VPD:          Visual Processing Disorder
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 07:45:31 PM by Chandrasekhi » Logged

“Do or do not. There is no try.”

– Yoda
Chandrasekhi

Big Member

Vanuatu Vanuatu

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 07:41:45 PM »

ALL
Eight Digital Education Resources From the Smithsonian
"As efforts to mitigate the effects of the coronavirus crisis ramp up, schools across the United States—including those in New York City, Washington, D.C., and dozens of states—have closed their doors, leading students, teachers and caregivers alike to seek out online educational tools. To help support this search, the Smithsonian Institution has launched a central portal highlighting an array of distance learning resources, from STEM webcasts to American history podcasts and comprehensive lesson plans. Offerings range from low- or no-tech (interviewing family members for oral history projects) to high-tech (diving into an interactive exploration module)."

https://www.smithsonianma...nd-smithsonian-180974430/

– Yoda
Diogenes
Board Helper
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 07:56:15 PM »

Khan Academy
GoodGollyMissMolly

Small Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 08:05:53 PM »

Khan Academy, YouTube, and Wikipedia for research launching points.
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 10:24:33 PM »

In Germany many school book pusblishing houses have online service that usually are behind a paywall or are only available for teachers. Since schools are out, they have opened their porrtals for everybody, allowing students to access the material and the online classes for free.
Only drawback is that you can't download anything (after all they do not want their stuff to remain available forever) and with the WiFi in a very insecure situation, once you can't be online, you are dig out of luck.
I brought home everything our library has to offer in Terms of Maths, Physics, biology (chemistry is not needed this year!) and history to help my grad.student to prepare for her finals. Libraries are closed now. Sad

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Paulina

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2020, 02:22:37 AM »

I work at a math institute. This came across yesterday from the National Academies of Sciences. What actually works--ferocious quarantining:

>>>> Sent on behalf of Xihong Lin to TOPMed investigators

Dear all,

At this critical time for all of us,  with a lot of public panic, I would like to share with you our analysis results of 25,000+ lab-confirmed COVID-19 cases in Wuhan until February 18, 2020. So the gained knowledge can maximize social benefits.  A short positive message I would like to share with you is that centralized quarantine effectively stopped the outbreak.

The strategy of lockdown+mitigation (social distancing)+home quarantine helped but was not good enough to stop the outbreak based on the Wuhan data. It reduced R from 3.88 to 1.25. This is because family transmission is common. Family members and close contacts are likely to be infected, and then infect others. Centralized quarantine of  ill patients in mobile cabin hospitals and exposed subjects in hotels/dorms effectively stopped the outbreak (R=0.3). 

Family members, close contacts and elderly people are at a much higher risk of infection. Elderly people are at a much higher risk of becoming severe.  Health care workers are at a much risk of infection if not protected, but are at minimal risk if fully protected. These three vulnerable groups need to be protected, especially healthcare workers need to be protected using full PPEs.   The findings could provide timely information on strategy development on controlling the outbreak in US and other countries.

The pre-print is available at MedXriv. A key summary of the findings can be found at this tweet. The talk video is available at hsph.me/covid19  and the updated slides are available at hsph.me/27v.  Several take home messages and practical recommendations, especially for  the situation in US, were provided in the talk slides.

Thanks for taking time to read this email at this hectic time. Stay safe. Best, Xihong
kpzra

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2020, 05:04:02 AM »

I work at a math institute. This came across yesterday from the National Academies of Sciences. What actually works--ferocious quarantining:

>>>> Sent on behalf of Xihong Lin to TOPMed investigators

Dear all,

At this critical time for all of us,  with a lot of public panic, I would like to share with you our analysis results of 25,000+ lab-confirmed COVID-19 cases in Wuhan until February 18, 2020. So the gained knowledge can maximize social benefits.  A short positive message I would like to share with you is that centralized quarantine effectively stopped the outbreak.

The strategy of lockdown+mitigation (social distancing)+home quarantine helped but was not good enough to stop the outbreak based on the Wuhan data. It reduced R from 3.88 to 1.25. This is because family transmission is common. Family members and close contacts are likely to be infected, and then infect others. Centralized quarantine of  ill patients in mobile cabin hospitals and exposed subjects in hotels/dorms effectively stopped the outbreak (R=0.3). 

Family members, close contacts and elderly people are at a much higher risk of infection. Elderly people are at a much higher risk of becoming severe.  Health care workers are at a much risk of infection if not protected, but are at minimal risk if fully protected. These three vulnerable groups need to be protected, especially healthcare workers need to be protected using full PPEs.   The findings could provide timely information on strategy development on controlling the outbreak in US and other countries.

The pre-print is available at MedXriv. A key summary of the findings can be found at this tweet. The talk video is available at hsph.me/covid19  and the updated slides are available at hsph.me/27v.  Several take home messages and practical recommendations, especially for  the situation in US, were provided in the talk slides.

Thanks for taking time to read this email at this hectic time. Stay safe. Best, Xihong

I think you posted in the wrong thread. This one is for links/sites for (mainly) kids stuck home to keep up on school.
Paulina

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2020, 06:24:38 AM »

Ah ha! Education of the kids. I thought getting ourselves educated. I can move it to the other thread. I’m so tired these days, fretting.

I’ll need to read the sites. My kids haven’t done much schoolwork this week at all. Teens don’t always take direction well, if at all. *sigh* we are only on day 4.
Chandrasekhi

Big Member

Vanuatu Vanuatu

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2020, 07:45:46 AM »

MS/HS
Maths Resources
https://advantagelearn.com/redeem/ with coupon code EducateDontContaminate

– Yoda
Eliza B

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2020, 01:53:11 PM »

Here's some free ideas I have been given from our preschool (in US):

Scholastic Learn from Home: English/Spanish US grades pre-K to 9th Grade EC, LS, MS, HS (freshman)
https://classroommagazine.../support/learnathome.html

Starfall: Pre-K to 3rd Grade EC, LS
https://www.starfall.com/h/

Khan Academy: Ages 4-14 EC, LS, MS, HS (freshman)
https://www.khanacademy.org/

Squiggle Park: Reading skills for ages 3-15 ES, LS, MS, HS
https://www.squigglepark.com//

Prodigy Math Game: Fun with math (adapts to ALL skill level)
https://play.prodigygame.com/

There's also:
Learning TV programs/games free online:
https://pbskids.org/  EC, LS, MS
https://kids.nationalgeographic.com/ LS, MS

Also, for EC:
They also sent home ideas for sensory bags/games for babies and toddlers, I just looked up a pretty decent link here: https://mommypoppins.com/...-activities-for-any-child
(Tip: for the messy ideas [ie play with shaving cream or break ice cubes] you can always keep cleaner by putting it into a ziploc bag and taping it to their dinnermat/ high chair before letting them have at it.

My children are a bit too young for any of those sites. I tried lol. So to keep organized I have been theming the week. I printed out free coloring book pages (http://coloringhome.com), and got books and songs all on theme. Example: rabbits: bunny pictures to color, we exercised by leaning to hop, read bunny books, sang "little bunny foo foo" etc. That's working ok for the 2 year old, the baby is well business as usual. And well luckily it's a slow week at work.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 02:10:48 PM by Eliza B » Logged
TLLK

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2020, 03:49:55 PM »

For anyone using Engage NY/Eureka Math-Duane Habecker  and Tim Kung takes you through their modules and lessons-Grades 1-5.
https://www.youtube.com/c.../UCMb3b2_-4jDpi2Mvac_pAMA

https://www.youtube.com/c...DnC6XJBKWBx3g/videos-Kung
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 03:56:02 PM by TLLK » Logged
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2020, 11:04:00 AM »

Ah ha! Education of the kids. I thought getting ourselves educated. I can move it to the other thread. I’m so tired these days, fretting.

I’ll need to read the sites. My kids haven’t done much schoolwork this week at all. Teens don’t always take direction well, if at all. *sigh* we are only on day 4.
Move over and pass me the wine, Paulina.
Internet Access has more holes than a swiss cheese. And one week in, my nerves are shot.
My Little one threw the biggest tantrum imaginable outside of terrible twos, because she got the assignment too late and the teacher (bless her blood-stained cotton socks Real mad) got angry that she handed in the answers two hours too late. Needless to say, my short email to the teacher would have gotten me on Maria's warned list.
Graduation Fairy seems far more concerned about the fact that all the parties are cancelled: there will be no ceremony, no prom, no "we did it" impromptu parties at local beaches or parks… No need for a dress...  Cry

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Diogenes
Board Helper
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2020, 01:38:39 PM »

Internet Access has more holes than a swiss cheese. And one week in, my nerves are shot.
My Little one threw the biggest tantrum imaginable outside of terrible twos, because she got the assignment too late and the teacher (bless her blood-stained cotton socks Real mad) got angry that she handed in the answers two hours too late. Needless to say, my short email to the teacher would have gotten me on Maria's warned list.
Graduation Fairy seems far more concerned about the fact that all the parties are cancelled: there will be no ceremony, no prom, no "we did it" impromptu parties at local beaches or parks… No need for a dress...  Cry

Umm ... fairy ... when your fairina has a meltdown, have you considered having one too?  The surprise of seeing mom go berserk is sometimes very therapeutic ...

And perhaps your grad would like to design her own dress for an eventual post virus party?  Ok, so it might never get made (which is why there are no holds barred on materials or cost ...;-)), but it might get her thinking along interesting lines.

FWIW.
fruela

Small Member

Spain Spain

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2020, 02:50:11 PM »

I am using Google Classrom... takes aeons to do the job. Our Guidance Department has urged us not to overdo it, for both our sake and our students'.They have even advised us to send them some amusing messages and whatever. This is what I have decided to do. Mind you, I keep searching  for gags and songs and whatnot...exhausting. My workload is even heavier than before but ... I'll keep trying to do my best.
BTW,  no more wine for me for now...vermouth. Mmmmm!
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2020, 07:53:39 PM »

Umm ... fairy ... when your fairina has a meltdown, have you considered having one too?  The surprise of seeing mom go berserk is sometimes very therapeutic ...

And perhaps your grad would like to design her own dress for an eventual post virus party?  Ok, so it might never get made (which is why there are no holds barred on materials or cost ...;-)), but it might get her thinking along interesting lines.

FWIW.

Dio: Hubby tried, when this skype-conference was rudely interrupted by a fairy trying to restart the WiFi (by resetting it). Hhm it was interesting from a purely academic social stand point. However, it drove the dogs and me down to the laundry room (from which, we remember! I had been trying to self-isolate myself).
NO, seriously, if this school break is going on much longer, it might be a parent who invents the much needed virus vaccine...

Mary's life motto:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: