Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2020 Derf - News & Events  (Read 25548 times)
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: June 11, 2020, 03:37:59 PM »

In the Netherlands the word sofa exist, but isn't used often anymore. Lounge and lounging is often used for furniture and such where people can be lazily; to be inactive. I have heard it often with regard to specific garden furniture.

The Dutch word for a couch is bank (this word has multiple meanings, both a couch and a bank)
Skirt Queen

Large Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: June 11, 2020, 07:24:47 PM »

The Dutch word for a couch is bank (this word has multiple meanings, both a couch and a bank)

This makes sense since many times we lose our change/coins in the between the couch cushions! LOL  Laughing
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: June 12, 2020, 08:59:04 AM »

This makes sense since many times we lose our change/coins in the between the couch cushions! LOL  Laughing

Never thought about it that way  Grin Laughing Star

Yesterday I had a fun discussion with another Dutch lady about how words can have different meanings, both in one language and between languages. For example one word can be regular, normal in one language but be a very bad word or insult in another language (or sounding like it). For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWuHflVqcm8
Curtains

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: June 21, 2020, 04:14:15 AM »

Where’s Fred? 

"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic: but I had a good life, all the way." - Jimmy Buffet, America's premiere poet
Hester
Board Helper
Warned
Most Exalted Member

Samoa Samoa

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: June 21, 2020, 09:26:44 AM »

It is awful that in these dark times these two show a picture of themselves pretending to care about culture I mean we know Mary doesn't care about it. The tv is in the corner and the whole picture is angled that does not look like a family tv room at all where their big crowd can gather around. I think it is funny that they use the word couch and not sofa I remember hearing from my granny that sofa is the proper word and couch is the lower class word. I know that is silly and it doesn't matter but funny for a prince.
In german "Couch" is far preferred to "Sofa". How is that in Danish?
Anyway, I didn't find it awful that they show themselves to enjoy culture during these times, in fact I think it would be a nice reminder of what is available online and on tv as an alternative to your normal routines.
However, I simply had to chuckle because imagining Fred enjoying literature, drama and theatre is like him stating that he only drinks beer from crystal glasses - it is something that I would buy from Charles, but honestly not really from any of the other cps or younger kings. (with the exception of Felipe, who would do that to please his wife)

I grew up in the UK, and the word sofa or "settee" is used interchangeably.  I think settee is perhaps not a southern or London word, but I dont know for sure.
To me "couch" is the American term for it, and I rarely hear it used in the uk. I'm not sure what the Australian word is for it but perhaps the word couch is used and Fred has picked it up from Mary or he learned that word when learning English? I've noticed in a lot of English language programmes that American words are used instead of English, such as garbage/trash instead of rubbish.

I knew a few Australians from my time living in Asia and they nearly always used couch, never 'settee' or sofa. One or two would use the word lounge as in "Sit on the lounge" which is different.

Also, in the UK...sofa is "posher" than settee. I don't care...we say settee here!

On that subject...I work at a (very) posh school where the word toilet is banned. It has to be 'loo' which is apparently very upper class. (I never knew !)

When I was younger, it was definitely always lounge. As in we’ll sit on the lounge in the lounge room. These days couch is being used more and more, but I suspect that’s got to do with more American pop culture seeping in. I don’t really hear sofa used much in Australia, but we definitely know the word.

(Australia) we said "couch" (long before American influence)  and "lavatory"  - "sofa" was regarded as a bit sophisticated and English. But "toilet" was regarded as common. Very confusing!
anastasia beaverhausen

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: June 21, 2020, 03:54:24 PM »

Yes, toilet sounds harsh to my American ears too. Some people here say “restroom” or “washroom” and Mr. Beaverhausen calls it “the head”,  but we’re all talking about the same ..... facility.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: June 22, 2020, 09:49:16 AM »

Hahaha, while in Dutch it is toilet and WC (= water closet).

(plural: toiletten & WCs)
Harley
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Yemen Yemen

Team Marie all the way

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: June 22, 2020, 12:27:41 PM »

It’s the same in Danish Smiley But we also have Badeværelse (Bathroom).

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: June 22, 2020, 01:06:31 PM »

It’s the same in Danish Smiley But we also have Badeværelse (Bathroom).

In Dutch: badkamer (= bathroom)

And for the shower = douche
Which can also be a verb.
Paulina

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: June 22, 2020, 03:51:13 PM »

It also used to be called the “powder room.”  As in, “I’m going to go powder my nose.” At least for the ladies room.

1950s-60s.
periwinkle

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: June 22, 2020, 06:43:26 PM »

Haha I still sometimes leave saying I'm going to go powder my nose. Such silly genteelisms. My mother always put T.T. on her shopping list for toilet tissue as if she would be tainted by spelling it out lol.
Mariola

Micro Member

Spain Spain

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: June 22, 2020, 06:46:52 PM »

When I came here at first I said 'lavatory' but now I say 'loo'. I think here in Ireland women say mostly 'loo' and men mostly say 'toilet' (but they have many other words also like 'bog' ).

For me 'restroom' and 'washroom' sound very strange, especially restroom as it sounds like it is trying to hide the real meaning.
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: June 22, 2020, 09:47:05 PM »

I once heard in a german airplane the funniest little conversation:
an american tourist discreetly asked the german cabin attendant where the restrooms were. The stewardess had apparently not heard of that euphemism before and mistook restroom for breakroom. Since this plane did not have a crew rest (the little cabin in the back, where the flight crew takes  their break on long haul flights) she answered that there were no restrooms to which the distressed passenger cried: What? What do you do when you need a rest? The stewardess smiled politely and said, that the flight crew simply took an empty seat, pulled up a blanket and took a rest. Off she went and I almost screamed with laughter. So did the passenger, when I explained to her that she needed to look for the WC or toilet for her needs.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: June 23, 2020, 12:05:31 AM »

I once heard in a german airplane the funniest little conversation:
an american tourist discreetly asked the german cabin attendant where the restrooms were. The stewardess had apparently not heard of that euphemism before and mistook restroom for breakroom. Since this plane did not have a crew rest (the little cabin in the back, where the flight crew takes  their break on long haul flights) she answered that there were no restrooms to which the distressed passenger cried: What? What do you do when you need a rest? The stewardess smiled politely and said, that the flight crew simply took an empty seat, pulled up a blanket and took a rest. Off she went and I almost screamed with laughter. So did the passenger, when I explained to her that she needed to look for the WC or toilet for her needs.

Laughing
CurleySharon

Baby Member

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: June 24, 2020, 03:28:52 PM »

It also used to be called the “powder room.”  As in, “I’m going to go powder my nose.” At least for the ladies room.

1950s-60s.

powdering one's nose has a different meaning nowadays - especially in some royal / princely circles Whistle
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: