Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What have you done to pass time during quarantine?  (Read 9670 times)
Paulina

Big Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: May 17, 2020, 03:04:13 AM »

I ordered two pounds of lavender and am now making eye pillows with lavender and rice. I have no sewing machine and wouldn't know how to use one anyway. So I hand sew the little rectangles and try to use up the fabric I bought years ago for "projects" that never came to fruition. After working all day at my computer and being interrupted by my kids for breakfast, lunch, dinner, a ride, solving a problem, something something something else. I can't wait to go back to the office. I'm more productive and efficient there.
I make the lavender sachets in the little draw string pouches that you can buy as wedding favor supplies. I use a ton of them in the closets. My best hack for laundry is to take the absolutely single socks that have been hanging around forever, fill the foot part with the lavender  and tie a knot in the neck. Then I throw it into the dryer and everything smells great.

That is a GREAT idea, DoV! I now have all this lavender. I can throw it in a single sock in the dryer and call it a day. I poured a bunch in a bowl and just put my face in the bowl for insta-aromatherapy.

Principessa--you lucky girl you! Having guys put IKEA stuff together for you and get their woodworking fix. We should all be so lucky.  Icecream Laugh bounce
Duchess of Verona

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: May 17, 2020, 03:51:29 AM »

My late MIL was a true believer in mothballs. Under every piece of furniture and in every closet there were at least 5 boxes . When I brought things home (thank you darling husband of decades) moths started appearing despite everything stinking of cancer causing chemicals. So I went crazy on the lavender and got rid of as much  the stinking  items as His Grace the Duke of Verona would allow me to. This continues even today (not the moths). I was required to take home all these things "Live with them a year or so and if you dont like it you can get rid of it". Ha ! Now when I try to send it away it's  still like I am cutting his fingers off one knuckle at a time.
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: May 17, 2020, 10:21:34 PM »

Gawd, how I know that feeling, Duchess.
One bleeding knuckle at a time.
On the other hand however, he can get rid of something of my family faster than I can swat a mosquito.
He threw out something a few months ago, and just learnt this week how much it fetches on eBay. OOPS..

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
TLLK

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: May 18, 2020, 03:11:22 PM »

This week help from a nice neighbour with putting up IKEA furniture Smiley

Unfortunately due to some issues a bit delay. But in the meantime the guy went enthusiastic outing ideas, drawing, designing etc. for a build in wooden desk for my appartement. Including drawers and shelves. I am ok with it and we will see. He also offered to build it, with only material costs. But for now I need a cleaned up space and some rest. As currently I am still living in a mess. It feels like it is dragging on and there need to be a kind of closure. So I told him that and also gave him an additional challenge. Designing something for the weird bar between my living room and kitchen.

It seems I have a lot op men in my surroundings with a passion for working with wood  Laugh bounce

Glad to read that you're making some progress on the apartment renovation principessa. I know that living in the midst of the mess is trying, but hang in there. Thumb up
Duchess of Verona

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: May 21, 2020, 04:50:26 AM »

Today's plantings on the vegetable front: Sweet bell peppers, Asian mini eggplants, the first half of the pattypan squash, and scallions (in some places called green or bunching onions). Giant pumpkin transplants tomorrow! Still waiting on the lettuce seeds. The potato foliage  has been growing 3" over night every night. I am maybe 2 days growth from the top of the grow bags. Then you let them set leaves and flowers. I just seeded the second crop of rainbow carrots in the planters that I got for the front urns. I have harvested twice  this week from the spinach already. The California heirloom tomatoes all went in yesterday  and the day before and this morning I noticed the first tiny tomato (Black Krim variety). The raised beds are filled with rotted chicken poop and leaf compost, so it all grows like crazy.
Duchess of Verona

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: May 21, 2020, 05:01:19 AM »

I ordered two pounds of lavender and am now making eye pillows with lavender and rice. I have no sewing machine and wouldn't know how to use one anyway. So I hand sew the little rectangles and try to use up the fabric I bought years ago for "projects" that never came to fruition. After working all day at my computer and being interrupted by my kids for breakfast, lunch, dinner, a ride, solving a problem, something something something else. I can't wait to go back to the office. I'm more productive and efficient there.
I make the lavender sachets in the little draw string pouches that you can buy as wedding favor supplies. I use a ton of them in the closets. My best hack for laundry is to take the absolutely single socks that have been hanging around forever, fill the foot part with the lavender  and tie a knot in the neck. Then I throw it into the dryer and everything smells great.

That is a GREAT idea, DoV! I now have all this lavender. I can throw it in a single sock in the dryer and call it a day. I poured a bunch in a bowl and just put my face in the bowl for insta-aromatherapy.

Principessa--you lucky girl you! Having guys put IKEA stuff together for you and get their woodworking fix. We should all be so lucky.  Icecream Laugh bounce
My recycling/repurposing/retasking  little soul loves to find a use for that which is hanging around the house rather than send it to the dump. You will make your life easier when making these up if you make a 'funnel' out of a thin magazine so that the dried flowers slide all the way down to the toe rather than clinging to the sides of the sock. But it works a treat. I also do  a ton of sachets for the sweaters before they  go to storage upstairs for the season. In theory the sachets should make them less hospitable to  all bugs, including spiders, which I loathe. We have giant wolf spiders 1.5" across and they jump!!! YUCK.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 05:07:28 AM by Duchess of Verona » Logged
Duchess of Verona

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: July 01, 2020, 02:05:58 AM »

So an update on the V Garden. The first crop of broccoli and spinach have been harvested and reseeded, The brussels sprouts and cauliflower plants are huge, but not cropping  yet. Remember how I said I had purchased 16 heirloom tomato plants from www.laurelsheirloomtomatoes.com? Well in the  4 weeks subsequent to planting them. MANY new tomato self sown seedlings from last year's heirlooms have shown up. So I am now up to 40 tomato vines (cant wait to see some interesting crosses). EEK! Clearly, I will be adding tomatoes to  the people I deliver food to. I have 24 juvenile tomatoes setting on one vine. They are growing so fast I have to prune and stake 2x a day (the major trick to tomatoes being to vigilantly prune off the suckers which shoot out at a 45* angle between the main stem and the sun leaf of the branch). The  sweet peppers are starting to develop fruit. The white eggplants and Japanese mini eggplants are flowering, but no fruit yet. The 6 kinds of potatoes, now 3' over the top of the grow bags in the last month  and rainbow carrots (my first year) are growing gangbusters. I bought these grow bags for them with velcro-ed garage doors on them that you can open and check the  state of the root veggies without having to  uproot them. Walla-walla onions and elephant garlic are getting ready to bloom.  The Dill's Giant Pumpkins https://www.westcoastseed...ucts/dills-atlantic-giant  have taken off an are sending vines out off the fresh every year temporary raised bed. I do the bed 4 hay bales long on all 4 sides  and fill with chicken poop and leaf compost).  I move it every year as you have to be strict about crop rotation with pumpkins or you get Phytophthora, which is essentially plant Ebola and the ripe pumpkins  liquify from the inside out. I have them on top of the septic field, which throws off radiant heat. Plenty of peaches/pears/apples/cherries on the trees, if the squirrels dont beat me to them. I've given up on corn entirely.  Anyone in the NY/CT area? I'll drop some eggs and veggies off! And yes, true to my family in Ireland, I am a farmer. My mother just figured this out. I said "The whole horse thing for decades wasn't your first clue?" When I fill out a customs/immigration form and they ask for your employment I truthfully answer Farmer.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 02:28:12 AM by Duchess of Verona » Logged
cordtx

Warned
Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: July 02, 2020, 09:08:24 PM »

Sounds awesome D of V. Iím jealous you have time for fun things
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: