Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kingsday 2020  (Read 5014 times)
Missynat

Small Member

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2020, 01:09:53 PM »

Here is a link to more photos and there is a video message from Wax.  It is in Dutch so I have no idea what he is saying:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_fPtJrD0Ag/
Picar

Micro Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2020, 03:45:53 PM »

I really see these celebrations as very inappropriate, even if they are at home.  They are celebrating, wearing bright colors, smiling, toasting ... while the people in their country are getting sick and dying.

Queen Elizabeth suspended any event for her birthday ... Margrethe, despite being her 80th birthday and being something special, was more sober...but with the image of the Dutch it seems that the country is happy and nothing happens there ... it is unreal. 

If I am correct it has always been a national holiday with people on the streets and celebrating so it is very different to Queen Elizabeth's birthday and to Queen Margrethe's birthday. I do not see that they are doing anything wrong here. There are not disrespecting anybody but surely this is my opinion only and Dutch posters might disagree with me.  Obviously there cannot be street parties etc.

I'm a little torn. I know the Dutch don't have the same restrictions as Spain or Italy.

While I love seeing the girls out and think that some distraction from the current situation is nice, I also don't really see the point of celebrating King's day just yet.

Especially, if it's usually a day, where people take part and celebrate on the streets; it's pretty useless doing it, when virtually on one can go out.

Queensday / Kingsday (incl. the night before ) is a real outdoor party in NL. It is still a national holiday. This year the events were canceled or were altered to confom Dutch Corona restrictions. I have been to a friend in a town nearby. I decided to bike, about 14 a 15 km. On my way I encountered many cyclusts, walkers and such. The friends lives in a dead end street. On the street, in open air, all the neighbours had a small gathering and toast upon the King and Kingsday. All at 1.5 meters distance at least. Also taken into account a disabeled neighbour. So nice. This year Kingsday was hot with a lot of sun.

Nice to read this account. Thank you Principessa.  Star
Cordelia Fitzgerald

Baby Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2020, 03:50:33 PM »

I read some comments on the story on Daily Mail (don't judge me!   ) that said that the wallpaper represented the DNA of the king/queen/crown princess?! Please tell me that I've been in quarantine too long and my sarcasm detector is out of practice and they were just kidding!

https://nos.nl/artikel/22...nformatie-weggelaten.html

Article is in Dutch, but says an artist has put DNA fragments of WA and Max in stones (represented by) on the walls.

That's very interesting!  Thank you Principessa!  Star
Picar

Micro Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2020, 03:51:55 PM »

I loved seeing them all.  

Amalia looks great, sweet, lovely and beautiful.  
Alexia looks a bit sad in the pictures.
Ariane looks grown up!!!

Loved to see Maxima too, and a bit more toned down.

Pomme

Huge Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Mary who?

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2020, 05:05:58 PM »

I really see these celebrations as very inappropriate, even if they are at home.  They are celebrating, wearing bright colors, smiling, toasting ... while the people in their country are getting sick and dying.

Queen Elizabeth suspended any event for her birthday ... Margrethe, despite being her 80th birthday and being something special, was more sober...but with the image of the Dutch it seems that the country is happy and nothing happens there ... it is unreal. 

If I am correct it has always been a national holiday with people on the streets and celebrating so it is very different to Queen Elizabeth's birthday and to Queen Margrethe's birthday. I do not see that they are doing anything wrong here. There are not disrespecting anybody but surely this is my opinion only and Dutch posters might disagree with me.  Obviously there cannot be street parties etc.

I'm a little torn. I know the Dutch don't have the same restrictions as Spain or Italy.

While I love seeing the girls out and think that some distraction from the current situation is nice, I also don't really see the point of celebrating King's day just yet.

Especially, if it's usually a day, where people take part and celebrate on the streets; it's pretty useless doing it, when virtually on one can go out.

Cancelling King's Day (still Queen's Day in the minds of the majority of people, since we had queens for over a century until Wax became king in 2013) would cause a revolution, even if we have to celebrate it indoors.

The infection degree in The Netherlands is under 1.  About 4,500 ppl (from 17 million have died in hospital from Covid-19. The true number will be higher (until now, about 1,000 more deaths are suspected Covid-19 related until now.)

We never had a complete lockdown, or restrictions on non-essential travel.
Schools/day care are closed but open for kids of ppl with essential jobs.
Certain sectors are closed ('contact'jobs like hairdressers and physiotherapists, restaurants only for takeaways (so McD is open).
Ppl are encouraged to work from home.
Children were always allowed to play with eachother, ppl were always allowed to exercise and go outside as long as they keep 1,5 metres distance and do not gather in groups. Outside food markets are open, most shops are open (with restrictions on the number of shoppers)

Gatherings of more than 3 ppl that are not a family (ie parents + kids) are not allowed. Parties are not allowed, concerts etc are not allowed.
Hotels are open. Parks are open. The water is open, the beaches are open. Just keep your distance. If you don't you'll get a hefty fine. Or the venue will be closed (like the roads to the beaches were).

On King's day we celebrate that deep down we are a republic that happens to have chosen a family to be our head of state. This family has to show itself as being one with the people on King's Day, by visiting the public in a town/city (check out footage from previous King's Days on YouTube). This tradition of King's Day was replaced by the show from their home that WaxMax and the girls did.
The other part of the tradition is fun and traditional children's games, ppl selling their stuff in a giant car boot/gargage sale, and drinking.
Many people did the fun and games in their gardens or on their streets. With the grownups staying on their front porch, chatting merrily with the neighbours. The care homes were all decked out in orange, ppl organised drive by concerts and singalongs for the inhabitants. Ppl had Zoomparties, drivebys to get orange millefeuilles (very traditional, the orange tompouce), and there was the nationwide toast.

Even though there are still well over 800 ppl in ICUs, and thousands have died, the general mood is one of 'we will get through this together'.   But it is also true that we would have lost many of these people to influenza, had the winterflu been as strong as in previous years. The only difference is that the deaths occur in a much shorter time frame. Of course we are aware of the desparate situation in countries like Italy and Spain. Our media report about the situation in other countries all the time. But we as a people needed this party in this form, to encourage us to keep sticking to the regualtions and requestst to keep eachother safe.

We had 2 dear friends visit for King's Eve. We kept our distance and dined/breakfasted outside and didn't hug or touch or use eachother's glass. 

Talk to the hair, you slitherin' Skank
http://i.imgur.com/2mUIe.jpg
Kristallinchen

Humongous Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2020, 05:29:21 PM »

Cancelling King's Day (still Queen's Day in the minds of the majority of people, since we had queens for over a century until Wax became king in 2013) would cause a revolution, even if we have to celebrate it indoors.

The infection degree in The Netherlands is under 1.  About 4,500 ppl (from 17 million have died in hospital from Covid-19. The true number will be higher (until now, about 1,000 more deaths are suspected Covid-19 related until now.)

We never had a complete lockdown, or restrictions on non-essential travel.
Schools/day care are closed but open for kids of ppl with essential jobs.
Certain sectors are closed ('contact'jobs like hairdressers and physiotherapists, restaurants only for takeaways (so McD is open).
Ppl are encouraged to work from home.
Children were always allowed to play with eachother, ppl were always allowed to exercise and go outside as long as they keep 1,5 metres distance and do not gather in groups. Outside food markets are open, most shops are open (with restrictions on the number of shoppers)

Gatherings of more than 3 ppl that are not a family (ie parents + kids) are not allowed. Parties are not allowed, concerts etc are not allowed.
Hotels are open. Parks are open. The water is open, the beaches are open. Just keep your distance. If you don't you'll get a hefty fine. Or the venue will be closed (like the roads to the beaches were).

On King's day we celebrate that deep down we are a republic that happens to have chosen a family to be our head of state. This family has to show itself as being one with the people on King's Day, by visiting the public in a town/city (check out footage from previous King's Days on YouTube). This tradition of King's Day was replaced by the show from their home that WaxMax and the girls did.
The other part of the tradition is fun and traditional children's games, ppl selling their stuff in a giant car boot/gargage sale, and drinking.
Many people did the fun and games in their gardens or on their streets. With the grownups staying on their front porch, chatting merrily with the neighbours. The care homes were all decked out in orange, ppl organised drive by concerts and singalongs for the inhabitants. Ppl had Zoomparties, drivebys to get orange millefeuilles (very traditional, the orange tompouce), and there was the nationwide toast.

Even though there are still well over 800 ppl in ICUs, and thousands have died, the general mood is one of 'we will get through this together'.   But it is also true that we would have lost many of these people to influenza, had the winterflu been as strong as in previous years. The only difference is that the deaths occur in a much shorter time frame. Of course we are aware of the desparate situation in countries like Italy and Spain. Our media report about the situation in other countries all the time. But we as a people needed this party in this form, to encourage us to keep sticking to the regualtions and requestst to keep eachother safe.

We had 2 dear friends visit for King's Eve. We kept our distance and dined/breakfasted outside and didn't hug or touch or use eachother's glass. 

Thank you for this interesting description. Star

Didn't know that King's day was this important.
Cordelia Fitzgerald

Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2020, 06:08:03 PM »

On King's day we celebrate that deep down we are a republic that happens to have chosen a family to be our head of state. 

What a fascinating statement!   Star  Would you mind explaining it a little more please?  I've always enjoyed Dutch history and have wondered how people felt about once being the strongest non-monarchy in Europe to now having a royal family.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2020, 06:43:19 PM »

Here is a link to more photos and there is a video message from Wax.  It is in Dutch so I have no idea what he is saying:

I was looking to do a translation for you, was apparently already done

https://nltimes.nl/2020/0...ningsdag-birthday-address
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2020, 06:48:11 PM »

Queensday / Kingsday just became a huge event in NL over time. A day people can go crazy. Selling their excess stuff, children show how good they are with a musical instrument (or not!!), parties etc. And do not forget it already starts the night before with Queens/kings night  Wink
Pomme

Huge Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Mary who?

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2020, 08:17:03 PM »

On King's day we celebrate that deep down we are a republic that happens to have chosen a family to be our head of state. 

What a fascinating statement!   Star  Would you mind explaining it a little more please?  I've always enjoyed Dutch history and have wondered how people felt about once being the strongest non-monarchy in Europe to now having a royal family.

Are you ready for a rabbit hole?
Will elaborate soon!

Talk to the hair, you slitherin' Skank
http://i.imgur.com/2mUIe.jpg
Chandrasekhi

Huge Member

Vanuatu Vanuatu

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2020, 08:24:47 PM »

Will elaborate soon!
Brilliant, Pomme!  Star

“Do or do not. There is no try.”

– Yoda
oldfriends

Baby Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2020, 12:55:27 AM »

My son was born on May 1, 1974 - the day after Queen's Day...we had spent the day walking all over Groningen - and woke up the next morning realizing the adventure was about to begin...!  He will always be my Queen's day baby and love to celebrate King's Day now with his four sons! 

Queensday / Kingsday just became a huge event in NL over time. A day people can go crazy. Selling their excess stuff, children show how good they are with a musical instrument (or not!!), parties etc. And do not forget it already starts the night before with Queens/kings night  Wink
Missynat

Small Member

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2020, 09:49:34 AM »

I was looking to do a translation for you, was apparently already done

https://nltimes.nl/2020/0...ningsdag-birthday-address

Thanks Principessa  Star
Cordelia Fitzgerald

Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2020, 01:36:07 AM »

Will elaborate soon!

Can't wait!   Grin
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: