Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Breaking: The Queen's 1975 "Dismissal" letters to Australian Governor-General  (Read 3831 times)
Hester
Board Helper
Warned
Most Exalted Member

Samoa Samoa

Ignore
« on: May 29, 2020, 01:49:44 AM »

In 1975 the democratically elected Australian Government led by Gough Whitlam was sacked by the Governor-General, Sir John Kerr.

For the last 45 years the Queen's correspondence with her Governor-General in the leadup to the dismissal have been kept from the public, claimed to be "private".

The Queen's role, if any, will be very interesting reading.

Australia's highest court has JUST delivered its verdict, that our National Archives must release Queen Elizabethís letters. They may deliver insights into her actual political opinions!

Stay tuned!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 02:18:52 AM by Hester » Logged
Jane

Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 02:17:18 AM »

Fascinating day for any with an interest in our Constitution!
Margaret

Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 04:20:43 AM »

^^^ Yes!  A great decision by the High Court, IMO.  I feared they wouldn't do it.  It was a 3:4 majority judgment so not unanimous.  And the orders do not guarantee access, only require the Director-General of the National Archives to reconsider Professor Hocking's request for access.  I sincerely hope the application is given favourable consideration.    I was going to read the judgment but it is 111 pages long and I can't at the moment.
Hester
Board Helper
Warned
Most Exalted Member

Samoa Samoa

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 04:27:56 AM »

^^^ Yes!  A great decision by the High Court, IMO.  I feared they wouldn't do it.  It was a 3:4 majority judgment so not unanimous.  And the orders do not guarantee access, only require the Director-General of the National Archives to reconsider Professor Hocking's request for access.  I sincerely hope the application is given favourable consideration.    I was going to read the judgment but it is 111 pages long and I can't at the moment.

Oh! I thought the decision was 6/1...
Margaret

Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 07:53:39 AM »

Oh! I thought the decision was 6/1...

You could be right.  I just saw that the first judgment was delivered by four judges and assumed all the other three held differently, which was a rash thing to do.  Maybe the other two came to the same conclusion for different reasons.  I'll get back to it when I have time.  The main thing is the orders were made!  Yay!  Now to see what the Director-General does. 
Future Crayon

Most Exalted Member

Til and Phil fan account

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 08:57:32 AM »

In 1975 the democratically elected Australian Government led by Gough Whitlam was sacked by the Governor-General, Sir John Kerr.

For the last 45 years the Queen's correspondence with her Governor-General in the leadup to the dismissal have been kept from the public, claimed to be "private".

The Queen's role, if any, will be very interesting reading.

Australia's highest court has JUST delivered its verdict, that our National Archives must release Queen Elizabethís letters. They may deliver insights into her actual political opinions!

Stay tuned!

Interesting and brave decision!

I stand with crop-top wearing pro-democracy protesters
CathyJane

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2020, 02:38:48 AM »

This sounds very interesting!!
Paulina

Huge Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2020, 04:54:17 AM »

Whatís the date we can expect to see the letters? Are they saying yet?
Hester
Board Helper
Warned
Most Exalted Member

Samoa Samoa

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2020, 05:07:13 AM »

Whatís the date we can expect to see the letters? Are they saying yet?

Oddly enough, the Archive are now saying the have to have all the letters checked for national security content. Like they havenít had four years to prepare!
Margaret

Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2020, 08:33:45 AM »

The mind boggles.  What were Liz and John chatting about in their letters in 1975 that could possibly affect our national security 45 years later?  I would have thought the Archives people would have gone through it all with a fine toothed comb long before now.  Where did you find the info. about the national security issue?  I can't find mention of it.
Hester
Board Helper
Warned
Most Exalted Member

Samoa Samoa

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2020, 09:34:51 AM »

CEO David Fricker used it as an excuse in a radio interview - news item on abc today...
LadyBunion

Big Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2020, 12:37:00 PM »

I loved it when Whitlam said "God Save the Queen, but nothing can save the Governor General"
Hester
Board Helper
Warned
Most Exalted Member

Samoa Samoa

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2020, 01:02:52 PM »

I loved it when Whitlam said "God Save the Queen, but nothing can save the Governor General"

.... but then he was routed in the election ...  Blush
Chandrasekhi

Gigantic Member

Vanuatu Vanuatu

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2020, 02:00:59 PM »

The mind boggles.  What were Liz and John chatting about in their letters in 1975 that could possibly affect our national security 45 years later?  I would have thought the Archives people would have gone through it all with a fine toothed comb long before now.  Where did you find the info. about the national security issue?  I can't find mention of it.

More likely a constitutional crisis than a national security issue. Did HM intervene in a way she was not constitutionally empowered to ?

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard P. Feynman
Hester
Board Helper
Warned
Most Exalted Member

Samoa Samoa

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2020, 02:27:53 PM »

The mind boggles.  What were Liz and John chatting about in their letters in 1975 that could possibly affect our national security 45 years later?  I would have thought the Archives people would have gone through it all with a fine toothed comb long before now.  Where did you find the info. about the national security issue?  I can't find mention of it.

More likely a constitutional crisis than a national security issue. Did HM intervene in a way she was not constitutionally empowered to ?

The Director-General only referred to casing the letters for security issues...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: