Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Social Unrest in Minneapolis and Other US Cities  (Read 31312 times)
GoodGollyMissMolly

Small Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2020, 11:09:55 PM »

To be clear, a Karen isn’t any type of white woman - it’s specifically refers to a white woman who does something racist, whether a micro or overt aggression.

For example: Central Park dog lady - that’s a full, unabashed “Karen”. She could have gotten an innocent man killed or in jail because she didn’t want to follow rules.

The woman being a jerk because the waitress forgot her croutons? Not a Karen unless she was being racist while complaining about the croutons.

However, social media being how they are, has taken the term and made it a catch all for every non poc woman who acts like a jerk. Same thing with the term “Ok Boomer”.

ETA:

A friend said yesterday “Beware of people who are more upset about the riots than about police violence and racism. They are telling on themselves.”

Side note: if you do want to help,  but don’t want to physically protest (it’s not everyone’s thing) or you live in a place where protests aren’t happening - let me know if it’s okay to post links where you can donate.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 11:17:49 PM by GoodGollyMissMolly » Logged
getafix

Most Exalted Member

Virgin Islands, British Virgin Islands, British

Bye-Bye MEDiana Who!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2020, 04:00:26 AM »

http://www.msn.com/en-au/...ocid=ientp#image=BB14EiNo|22

G Smiley

ANDREW DENTON: Yes. What did... When you first met, what did you see in each other? CROWN PRINCE FREDERIK: What did we see in each other? We saw... Well, it's a bit hard. It's a bit blurry, in a way, because it was just after the Olympics had started and it was one of those evenings where...
Paulina

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2020, 04:12:05 AM »

She could just be protecting their assets.
Barrie

Most Exalted Member

Canada Canada

Rufus loves Royal Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2020, 04:36:21 AM »

I was watching the protest in Toronto today , which is a hotspot for COVID in a Canada and all I could think is WTH, when did everyone decide that this pandemic just magically disappeared? The irony is that most of these protesters where probably the ones complaining about the anti lockdown protests a few weeks ago. I might add the media is the same way, complaining about the anti lockdown protests (which were dumb btw) and now joining in the protests going on the last few nights. I approach this strictly as a healthcare worker so I am afraid of new spikes in COVID cases.
Ellie

Warned
Humongous Member

proud moron thx Scooby Doo

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2020, 04:37:21 AM »

The media pivoted once we realize this whole virus thing isn't really the massive killer the media desperately hoped for. Remember (and I am no fan of the President) when they were saying around impeachment this virus is nothing, be more wary of flu, then impeachment wasn't the big news anymore? Pivot to the killer virus. I doubt there will be big spikes of cases; it's been burning out in many respects, as the brains said in the beginning it would before the panic took hold.

The rioting and destroying of property, businesses large and small, and low income housing is horrific. I keep thinking of that poor man's family and what they must be going through right now wanting peace, seeing pieces of crap excuses for human beings using his brutal, horrific death to loot, burn and destroy. I keep them in my prayers. It's awful. I just don't understand, truly, why people behave this way towards other humans. Racism is one thing I will never, ever comprehend.

I hope dbag cop who they knew about was a piece of garbage and had multiple complaints fries. People like him and child abusers are why I am pro death penalty... At least he's been arrested which is more than we can say for other situations.

writing angry fauxminist letters in the Lesbaru
Mariola

Mini Member

Spain Spain

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2020, 04:48:57 AM »

The media pivoted once we realize this whole virus thing isn't really the massive killer the media desperately hoped for. Remember (and I am no fan of the President) when they were saying around impeachment this virus is nothing, be more wary of flu, then impeachment wasn't the big news anymore? Pivot to the killer virus. I doubt there will be big spikes of cases; it's been burning out in many respects, as the brains said in the beginning it would before the panic took hold.

The rioting and destroying of property, businesses large and small, and low income housing is horrific. I keep thinking of that poor man's family and what they must be going through right now wanting peace, seeing pieces of crap excuses for human beings using his brutal, horrific death to loot, burn and destroy. I keep them in my prayers. It's awful. I just don't understand, truly, why people behave this way towards other humans. Racism is one thing I will never, ever comprehend.

I hope dbag cop who they knew about was a piece of garbage and had multiple complaints fries. People like him and child abusers are why I am pro death penalty... At least he's been arrested which is more than we can say for other situations.

Respectfully Ellie but when you already have > 100.000 deaths I do not understand how you can say it is not a massive killer.
Aubiette

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2020, 04:50:42 AM »

It’s possible to be upset about the murder of George and to be upset about what is going on every night in this country!!!
Ellie

Warned
Humongous Member

proud moron thx Scooby Doo

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2020, 04:52:31 AM »

100k deaths and it's been here since far before March when we locked down 'for two weeks' and the vast majority of them in nursing homes which we did not protect except in certain states instead essentially leaving these people to die when they were already elderly. We've had that many deaths from influenza in the USA before. Nearly 3m people die in the USA alone every year. Is it tragic? Sure. Some massive killer pandemic the media was salivating over? No.

And has nothing to do with the heinous murder or police brutality, but the media is gonna pivot. They always do. The virus isn't a concern now; they have riots to fill time now that the apocalyptic scenarios of coronavirus haven't manifested especially in those dumb southern states that re-opened. They don't care about police brutality or the murders. They probably welcome things like this happening because it fills time, it is news, it makes money. Nothing changes there. I have friends who work in journalism. They love this stuff.

writing angry fauxminist letters in the Lesbaru
Paulina

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2020, 05:17:29 AM »

A perspective from Ashley Reese at Jezebel. 

She’s almost all that’s left of a formerly fab site.

https://jezebel.com/this-...s-what-you-get-1843733893
GoodGollyMissMolly

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2020, 07:47:28 AM »

I was watching the protest in Toronto today , which is a hotspot for COVID in a Canada and all I could think is WTH, when did everyone decide that this pandemic just magically disappeared? The irony is that most of these protesters where probably the ones complaining about the anti lockdown protests a few weeks ago. I might add the media is the same way, complaining about the anti lockdown protests (which were dumb btw) and now joining in the protests going on the last few nights. I approach this strictly as a healthcare worker so I am afraid of new spikes in COVID cases.

Because this is way more important than people showing up with loaded firearms and protesting over a hair cut.
Hester
Board Helper
Warned
Most Exalted Member

Samoa Samoa

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2020, 08:48:19 AM »

First off, nowhere did I nor would I compare being called a Karen to the anxiety that POC live with 24/7.

Affluent white women who are so far up their own butt that they can't see daylight don't care what you call them. You're not getting through to them with a meme. But you are hurting the whites who are trying to help, because they DO care how you perceive them. They would never call you names, even joking. So why is it okay to call them names?

It's all about respect. It's about changing the way people see each other. The problem is, there are always going to be those self-righteous bigots that will never change their view of other people, ever. They are a lost cause, you have to just move around them. Just know that for every one of them you cross paths with there is at least another one, and hopefully many, who get it and care.

I would say right now the majority of my friends are POC. The person other than family that I love most in this world is Indonesian. Judging from my lack of pigment you would never realize that I am supporting, mourning with, laughing and loving with such a diverse group of people. That's all I'm trying to say.

GGMM & Chandra, excellent posts. Star

I know a woman named Karen who is Indigenous Australian and a member of the Stolen Generation. She is rural poor but two of her kids got scholarships to prestigious schools under a special program for disadvantaged children - if she gets word of this meme I presume her name won't be passed on to her grandchildren. I find that sad.
cordtx

Warned
Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2020, 09:43:03 PM »

100,000 in 3 months. The blowing off this virus as no big deal is maddening.
Malenkaya

Micro Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2020, 10:34:54 PM »

The anti-lockdown group is a much different group, mostly ranting about 5G networks, Trudope, and other not so pleasant things. One of the neighbourhood racists who gets sued quite frequently is at every anti-lockdown protest at Queen's Park.

When they released the map of COVID-19 cases by neighbourhood in Toronto, people were shocked. They should not have been, but they were. The neighbourhoods with the most COVID-19 cases are traditionally areas where people of colour reside. I suspect this has also fueled a bit of tension as well, those neighbourhoods were disproportionately affected compared to the rest of Toronto. The death of Regis Korchinski-Paquet just added more fuel to the fire.
anastasia beaverhausen

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2020, 01:01:22 AM »

A perspective from Ashley Reese at Jezebel.  

She’s almost all that’s left of a formerly fab site.

https://jezebel.com/this-...s-what-you-get-1843733893

That was a great read, Paulina!  Star  I especially loved this:

“When the same system that refuses to protect black children comes out to protect windows, what is valued over black people in America becomes very clear,” Rakia wrote. “One cannot discuss the immorality of damaging property without devaluing the rage that brought protesters to this point.”

100,000 in 3 months. The blowing off this virus as no big deal is maddening.

Amen
Barrie

Most Exalted Member

Canada Canada

Rufus loves Royal Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2020, 01:27:14 AM »

This is like the American version of Tiananmen Square. Trump wants to call in the military there could be tanks rolling over people. He has no comprehension of a grey area in a situation. To him it is you either win or lose but there is no compromise. Biden should be talking now but no one is listening.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: