Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Social Unrest in Minneapolis and Other US Cities  (Read 31307 times)
Future Crayon

Most Exalted Member

Til and Phil fan account

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2020, 07:01:07 PM »

For years, black men and women tried to protest peacefully by kneeling down, and it changed nothing. And those same men and women who were outraged by the sheer audacity of kneeling, are now among the ones saying "I'd listen to the protesters if they only weren't violent". I don't condone violence, not one bit, not at all. But I understand why the protesters feel that they are nearing the end of their tether.

This sheet has being on since before Rodney King, y'all. That was in 1991. We have all known about this since 1991 and done nothing. Something has to change so that people can be safe in their own skin. This feeling of unsafety is very, very unpleasant, but that is a temporary feeling for most. But a lot of POC live with that feeling every time they go outside. And sometimes, when they are inside their own homes, because the police kills them there, too

Clapping  Star

I stand with crop-top wearing pro-democracy protesters
Maria
Administrator
Most Exalted Member

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2020, 07:20:59 PM »

For years, black men and women tried to protest peacefully by kneeling down, and it changed nothing. And those same men and women who were outraged by the sheer audacity of kneeling, are now among the ones saying "I'd listen to the protesters if they only weren't violent". I don't condone violence, not one bit, not at all. But I understand why the protesters feel that they are nearing the end of their tether.

This sheet has being on since before Rodney King, y'all. That was in 1991. We have all known about this since 1991 and done nothing. Something has to change so that people can be safe in their own skin. This feeling of unsafety is very, very unpleasant, but that is a temporary feeling for most. But a lot of POC live with that feeling every time they go outside. And sometimes, when they are inside their own homes, because the police kills them there, too

The recent story of the nurse (?) who was shot in her home by police barging in, shooting first and asking later certainly underlines that not even home is a safe space.

I donít understand why thereís not a universal wish to change society away from that pattern. Instead we have Karens calling the police lying about AA men threatening them. Itís very disturbing to see.
Future Crayon

Most Exalted Member

Til and Phil fan account

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2020, 07:26:41 PM »

Obama has released a well-judged statement:

I stand with crop-top wearing pro-democracy protesters
Kins

Mini Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2020, 07:32:12 PM »

Former Officer Derek Chavin has been taken into custody. A good start but this should have happened days ago. And they should have made him do the perp walk so it could be broadcast globally.
Lady Liebe

Gigantic Member

Provence Amaryllis

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2020, 07:47:11 PM »

Former Officer Derek Chavin has been taken into custody. A good start but this should have happened days ago. And they should have made him do the perp walk so it could be broadcast globally.

They also need to arrest the other three officers involved as they were, in the least, accessories to the crime.

I am glad former President Obama released his statement.

"Let us remember that, as much has been given us, much will be expected from us, and that true homage comes from the heart as well as from the lips, and shows itself in deeds."  Theodore Roosevelt
Kins

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2020, 07:48:42 PM »

^Agreed. They stood there watching and doing nothing and they deserve to be charged and arrested. Hopefully Chauvin's arrest is just the beginning.
Paulina

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2020, 08:05:15 PM »

Not to go off track, but you are totally right. There was this incident in 2009: https://en.wikipedia.org/..._Gates_arrest_controversy

*existing while black* smh sadly
Lady Liebe

Gigantic Member

Provence Amaryllis

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2020, 08:32:17 PM »

Not to go off track, but you are totally right. There was this incident in 2009: https://en.wikipedia.org/..._Gates_arrest_controversy

*existing while black* smh sadly

The roots of this are very long and very deep. It was part of the catalyst for the Hough riots in Cleveland in 1966 - which I am just old enough to remember. My family lived about six miles away.

"Let us remember that, as much has been given us, much will be expected from us, and that true homage comes from the heart as well as from the lips, and shows itself in deeds."  Theodore Roosevelt
GoodGollyMissMolly

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2020, 08:56:02 PM »

Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars.      

Martin Luther King Jr.

'A riot is the language of the unheard,' Martin Luther King Jr.

As a black person living in the United States, I have a paralyzing fear of police officers. In college my classmate was leaving a house party, in her college sweatshirt. We were students of a college that is known as an HBCU - historically black college or university. The cop, seeing her sweatshirt, assumed that she was a trouble maker, and told her to stop. Well there were 100s of people standing around. She didnít know he was talking to her and she kept walking. He didnít like this and stuck a police a police dog on her and the dog tore off a chunk of her leg. She couldnít walk for nearly a month.

Two weeks later, I was leaving campus to go to my job at a community center. A homeless man wandered into the intersection and as a result I ďran a red lightĒ despite it being green when I went through.

The cop pulls me over, asks for my ID, and then proceeds to interrogate me like I killed his dog. Yelling and being way too aggressive about a traffic stop. Why am I driving this car (it was in my moms name), why am I in the city (Iím there for school that I was two blocks away from), why am I not on campus (Iím going to work), are there drugs in the car (no), have you been drinking (itís 1pm on a Tuesday), why did you stop in the intersection (that homeless man that wandered through that you and I both saw).

He told me not to leave the car. It was at that point I saw his partner on the other side of the car with his gun drawn.

He comes back to the car, and in a MUCH nicer tone tells me to have a nice day.

What changed? Because of my motherís job her license plates are tagged.

Had it not been for that detail, thereís a very real chance I would not be here griping about Kateís grandma dresses or kiking over Fergieís shenanigans.

I wish it hadnít come to this, but please understand we are tired and we have tried everything. And itís a slap in the face to see people storm the state capital with guns and military weapons to reopen hair salons, but peaceful protests get derided.

When you rule by fear, eventually your subjects desire for change and a better life will outweigh their fear of you.

anastasia beaverhausen

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2020, 09:25:17 PM »

Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars.      

Martin Luther King Jr.

As a black person living in the United States, I have a paralyzing fear of police officers. In college my classmate was leaving a house party, in her college sweatshirt. We were students of a college that is known as an HBCU - historically black college or university. The cop, seeing her sweatshirt, assumed that she was a trouble maker, and told her to stop. Well there were 100s of people standing around. She didnít know he was talking to her and she kept walking. He didnít like this and stuck a police a police dog on her and the dog tore off a chunk of her leg. She couldnít walk for nearly a month.

Two weeks later, I was leaving campus to go to my job at a community center. A homeless man wandered into the intersection and as a result I ďran a red lightĒ despite it being green when I went through.

The cop pulls me over, asks for my ID, and then proceeds to interrogate me like I killed his dog. Yelling and being way too aggressive about a traffic stop. Why am I driving this car (it was in my moms name), why am I in the city (Iím there for school that I was two blocks away from), why am I not on campus (Iím going to work), are there drugs in the car (no), have you been drinking (itís 1pm on a Tuesday), why did you stop in the intersection (that homeless man that wandered through that you and I both saw).

He told me not to leave the car. It was at that point I saw his partner on the other side of the car with his gun drawn.

Had it not been for that detail, thereís a very real chance I would not be here griping about Kateís grandma dresses or kiking over Fergieís shenanigans.

I wish it hadnít come to this, but please understand we are tired and we have tried everything. And itís a slap in the face to see people storm the state capital with guns and military weapons to reopen hair salons, but peaceful protests get derided.

When you rule by fear, eventually your subjects desire for change and a better life will outweigh their fear of you.

Star GGMM

I was thinking yesterday about a job that I was sent on in 2010 with three co-workers - two were POC.  This was in rural Georgia and the closer we got to the town the more uncomfortable my co-workers got. It never even occurred to me or my white co-worker to be afraid, but I felt awful witnessing the obvious discomfort of the other two.

This has all been a long time coming.
Queenís Tea

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2020, 09:59:14 PM »

Martin Luther King Jr.

Read with great interest what you wrote.  Iím not going to pretend I understand what it feels like to be you.  I thank you for expressing it so well.  I learned something.  Thank you. 
Mariola

Mini Member

Spain Spain

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2020, 10:57:35 PM »

Martin Luther King Jr.

Read with great interest what you wrote.  Iím not going to pretend I understand what it feels like to be you.  I thank you for expressing it so well.  I learned something.  Thank you. 

For me exactly the same. Thanks both.
Paulina

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2020, 11:02:15 PM »

Martin Luther King Jr.

Thank you for sharing that GGMM. And congrats on having gone to an HBCU. I am currently working with some academics at several HBCUs on creating more visibility of AA in the scientific community within a science project and the alumnae of some is just impressive as all get out. In any event, two of our IT team are black and both have said they were followed locally (Richmond, CA) for no reason by police. I was incredulous because the East Bay and Oakland in particular is hardly a hotbed of racism  . . . I've grown up here and have not witnessed much personally. I was sad for them as I am sad for you.

Paulina

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2020, 11:06:44 PM »

Royalty is a delightful distraction here from all the woes and worries of the day. There was a tumbler thread, just pictures, really about PoC married-ins to royalty, some already royal themselves. Sparkle was not the first.
GoodGollyMissMolly

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2020, 11:44:11 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: