Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Danish Prince Joachim, 51, had to go to hospital in Toulouse, France  (Read 10961 times)
Paulina

Big Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2020, 08:30:08 PM »

OC and others, how would such a blood clot present itself in an otherwise healthy young person? I tried looking up "endovascular thrombectomy for the treatment of an ischemic stroke" online but just got confused by the medical jargon.

Is this just one of those things, no way to know in advance?

Scary. I hope he will be okay.

At least the medical care in Toulouse is considered top notch.
LadyBunion

Big Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2020, 08:37:16 PM »

would present as symptoms of a stroke - weakness (usually one sided), speech problems etc etc

risk factors - family history, smoking, raised blood pressure, smoking, patent foramen ovale

« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 09:32:36 PM by LadyBunion » Logged
Ellie

Warned
Humongous Member

in search of ethical emerald tiaras

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2020, 09:28:17 PM »

I will pray for Joachim and his family, that he heals quickly with no side-effects from this.

So, so scary and sudden - out of nowhere - you never know...

writing angry fauxminist letters in the Lesbaru
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2020, 09:57:31 PM »

Hoping for the best!
Oh_Caroline

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2020, 11:12:22 PM »

OC and others, how would such a blood clot present itself in an otherwise healthy young person? I tried looking up "endovascular thrombectomy for the treatment of an ischemic stroke" online but just got confused by the medical jargon.

Here's a website that breaks down the medical jargon...sorry for the confusion.

https://www.cirse.org/pat...ular-treatment-of-stroke/

Basically because the mentioned a blood clot and a procedure I jumped to ischemic stroke (a stroke caused by a blockage) and a endovascular thrombectomy (physically removing the blockage via the blood vessels).  It's technically more interventional radiology then strictly surgery but that's splitting hairs.  It's not the only possible answer but it's what I jumped to.

I think Joachim was/is a smoker and that can raise someone's risk.  And while he looks very healthy that doesn't mean he couldn't have either high blood pressure and/or high cholesterol.  It's hard to know but lord it is scary to think about.
Paulina

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2020, 01:13:20 AM »

Thank you. Some people may be at higher risk from the get go and then increase it by smoking.
Bunnyette

Micro Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2020, 02:32:55 AM »

This is pretty serious, I hope he fully recovers but Marg shouldn’t put off going to see him.
hrhpita

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2020, 03:55:11 AM »

Basically because the mentioned a blood clot and a procedure I jumped to ischemic stroke (a stroke caused by a blockage) and a endovascular thrombectomy (physically removing the blockage via the blood vessels).  It's technically more interventional radiology then strictly surgery but that's splitting hairs.  It's not the only possible answer but it's what I jumped to.

I think Joachim was/is a smoker and that can raise someone's risk.  And while he looks very healthy that doesn't mean he couldn't have either high blood pressure and/or high cholesterol.  It's hard to know but lord it is scary to think about.

I am just a lay person.  Does this mean he did in fact have some sort of stroke? Are all blood clots considered a stroke or are there "just" blood clots?  Both are serious.

Oh_Caroline

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2020, 04:50:54 AM »

I am just a lay person.  Does this mean he did in fact have some sort of stroke? Are all blood clots considered a stroke or are there "just" blood clots?  Both are serious.

No idea.  I’m also just a lay person, with doctors in the family, and my best guess is an ischemic stroke.  Of course I could be wrong but I’m not sure what else blood clots in the brain could be.  Granted people can have clots without knowing about them but to know you have a problem typically requires some sort of medical event to take place.

There’s probably other categories of thrombosis (blood clots) that effect the brain.

Another reason I jumped to ischemic stoke was because a friend of the family had on several years ago.
esther angeline

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2020, 05:13:14 AM »

Hopefully all his children are still in France to support him and each other.
Anna

Micro Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2020, 06:51:48 AM »

Poor Joachim and family, so young for such serious health problems! My grandfather, who had never smoked in his life, suffered an ischemic stroke at 78. He made a full recovery and lived for another five years. Luckily, he was in the car with my mother when he realized he couldn’t move his arm, so she drove him to hospital immediately. Hopefully, Joachim also got to hospital quickly.
PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2020, 08:29:49 AM »

July 25
It was in the middle of Prince Joachim's summer vacation when he was hit by a blood clot in his brain late Friday night.

The prince was on holiday at the royal family's château, Château de Cayx in the south of France, and was initially admitted to a local hospital in the town of Cahors, about a 20-minute drive from the castle.

DR's international correspondent, Stéphanie Surrugue:

- "Prince Joachim had his family around him when it happened and there was a very quick response. At first he was taken to the hospital in Cahors, but the hospital chose to fly Prince Joachim by helicopter to the much larger hospital in Toulouse", she says.

The prince is conscious and aware of what has happened, she further says.

The Royal House announced earlier this evening that the prince has been operated on and that the operation was successful. The condition of His Royal Highness is today stable, the royal house wrote in one Press release.

- "As we hear it from the royal house, Prince Joachim seems to have come out on the other side, and that he is fine under the circumstances, even though it was a somewhat dramatic course last night", says Stéphanie Surrugue.

- "According to my information, the doctors are on Rigshospitaletin are in contact with the hospital in Toulouse. There are considerations that it will be natural in this situation for the prince to be admitted to Denmark, but after such a process you are not allowed to fly, so it is clearly not now", she says.

Kristallinchen

Humongous Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2020, 09:19:01 AM »

Let's hope for  a full recovery. This is serious.

Prayers for Joachim, Marie and his whole family.

Same here. Just think of the poor young children.
Queen’s Tea

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2020, 10:38:03 AM »

Saw this story yesterday but had no time to comment.  He’s young in the scheme of things.  It sounds like he received prompt, excellent care.  Hopefully he has a very good outcome, makes whatever modifications to his lifestyle as necessary and goes forward the healthier for it.  His kids are very young yet.  Wishing all of them the very best. 
Nightowl

Micro Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2020, 11:00:20 AM »

Wishing Prince Joachim the very very best and a complete recovery. This is a very dangerous situation to happen to anyone and needs to be dealt with immediately as it seems it was.  I know just how horrific this can be on a person and family, our bodies are the most precious thing we have on this earth and need great care to survive .....I know this for a fact! 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: