Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Danish Prince Joachim, 51, had to go to hospital in Toulouse, France  (Read 24599 times)
Paulina

Huge Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2020, 06:57:19 PM »

I think hospitals have a rule these days that there are no visitors, so I'm not surprised if no one from the DRF is visiting Toulouse right now. It would be a headache for the hospital staff.
Eliza B

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2020, 07:04:25 PM »

I think hospitals have a rule these days that there are no visitors, so I'm not surprised if no one from the DRF is visiting Toulouse right now. It would be a headache for the hospital staff.

That is true around me in the US, even maternity wards, the partner can come in but once they leave they can't come back.
Duchess of Suffolk

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2020, 10:16:07 AM »

His Royal Highness Prince Joachim underwent surgery on Saturday night, July 25, 2020 for a blood clot in his brain at the University Hospital of Toulouse, France. After the recent days of hospitalization and treatment in the intensive care unit, it is now the doctors' assessment that Prince Joachim will not have physical or other consequences as a result of the blood clot.

The blood clot in the brain was due to a sudden dissection of an artery, and the hospital's medical team estimates that the risk of recurrence is very small once the artery has healed. Prince Joachim is expected to be moved from the intensive care unit soon, but will continue to be hospitalized in the near future. It is still the royal family's hope that the media will live up to the desire for peace and respect for privacy.

Prince Joachim and Princess Marie would like to thank you for the support and the many warm greetings they have received in recent days. This means a lot. Her Majesty the Queen also warmly thanks for all the sympathy that has been shown to the royal family.

Elissa

Most Exalted Member

France France

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2020, 11:20:29 AM »

Good news at last! Thank you Duchess of Suffolk  Star

Tatini

Gigantic Member

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2020, 11:25:18 AM »

Wonderful news indeed! The recovery process will be long, I guess, but there's light at the end of the tunnel. I am not surprised that nobody from the DRF has visited Joachim due to the Covid 19 restrictions upon access to hospitals AND to the people's circulation from one country to another. The Queen is no spring chicken, and she is probably safer in Denmark than anywhere else.
Harley
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Denmark Denmark

Team Marie all the way

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2020, 11:52:27 AM »

That’s really wonderful news, all things considered!!

Queen’s Tea

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2020, 12:26:08 PM »

That’s fantastic news.  His family must be so relieved to hear that assessment.  His kids are young (including the older boys in that statement since they are still young adults).  I’m glad he’ll be around to spend more time with them. 
Chandrasekhi

Huge Member

Vanuatu Vanuatu

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2020, 01:40:22 PM »

His Royal Highness Prince Joachim underwent surgery on Saturday night, July 25, 2020 for a blood clot in his brain at the University Hospital of Toulouse, France. After the recent days of hospitalization and treatment in the intensive care unit, it is now the doctors' assessment that Prince Joachim will not have physical or other consequences as a result of the blood clot.

The blood clot in the brain was due to a sudden dissection of an artery, and the hospital's medical team estimates that the risk of recurrence is very small once the artery has healed. Prince Joachim is expected to be moved from the intensive care unit soon, but will continue to be hospitalized in the near future. It is still the royal family's hope that the media will live up to the desire for peace and respect for privacy.

Prince Joachim and Princess Marie would like to thank you for the support and the many warm greetings they have received in recent days. This means a lot. Her Majesty the Queen also warmly thanks for all the sympathy that has been shown to the royal family.
Brilliant!   Star DoS

“Do or do not. There is no try.”

– Yoda
Thistle

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2020, 02:48:09 PM »

This is awesome news! Wishing him a speedy recovery and that he soon be reunited with his loved ones Jumping

Reading can seriously damage your ignorance
hrhpita

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2020, 03:40:14 PM »

OC and others, how would such a blood clot present itself in an otherwise healthy young person? I tried looking up "endovascular thrombectomy for the treatment of an ischemic stroke" online but just got confused by the medical jargon.

Is this just one of those things, no way to know in advance?

Scary. I hope he will be okay.

At least the medical care in Toulouse is considered top notch.

Here's a website that breaks down the medical jargon...sorry for the confusion.

https://www.cirse.org/pat...ular-treatment-of-stroke/

Basically because the mentioned a blood clot and a procedure I jumped to ischemic stroke (a stroke caused by a blockage) and a endovascular thrombectomy (physically removing the blockage via the blood vessels).  It's technically more interventional radiology then strictly surgery but that's splitting hairs.  It's not the only possible answer but it's what I jumped to.

I think Joachim was/is a smoker and that can raise someone's risk.  And while he looks very healthy that doesn't mean he couldn't have either high blood pressure and/or high cholesterol.  It's hard to know but lord it is scary to think about.

I am just a lay person.  Does this mean he did in fact have some sort of stroke? Are all blood clots considered a stroke or are there "just" blood clots?  Both are serious.

No idea.  I’m also just a lay person, with doctors in the family, and my best guess is an ischemic stroke.  Of course I could be wrong but I’m not sure what else blood clots in the brain could be.  Granted people can have clots without knowing about them but to know you have a problem typically requires some sort of medical event to take place.

There’s probably other categories of thrombosis (blood clots) that effect the brain.

Another reason I jumped to ischemic stoke was because a friend of the family had on several years ago.

Thank you, Oh Caroline for answering.   Star

Barrie

Most Exalted Member

Canada Canada

Rufus loves Royal Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2020, 04:46:08 PM »

He needs to stop smoking, end of story, his mother as well.
LadyBunion

Big Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2020, 05:34:41 PM »

Stroke is the outcome of the clot, similar effects can come from vascular bleeds but clots / plaques are more common. They are generally a sign of far more widespread cardiovascular disease with other clogged up arteries eg heart / limbs - risk factors for this are smoking / family history / smoking  / diabetes / smoking ... um did I mention smoking?

there is also the rarer odd case of have a patent foramen ovale in the heart which can cause clots to travel to the brain (see Ariel Sharon, PM of Israel.. or perhaps don't, it was a nightmare of a story)

A patient who has an embolic stroke will end up on blood thinners, ace inhibitor for BP, statins for cholesterol, and possibly a beta blockers. 
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2020, 09:09:41 AM »

Stroke is the outcome of the clot, similar effects can come from vascular bleeds but clots / plaques are more common. They are generally a sign of far more widespread cardiovascular disease with other clogged up arteries eg heart / limbs - risk factors for this are smoking / family history / smoking  / diabetes / smoking ... um did I mention smoking?

there is also the rarer odd case of have a patent foramen ovale in the heart which can cause clots to travel to the brain (see Ariel Sharon, PM of Israel.. or perhaps don't, it was a nightmare of a story)

A patient who has an embolic stroke will end up on blood thinners, ace inhibitor for BP, statins for cholesterol, and possibly a beta blockers. 

In my opinion, not every clot leads to a stroke. It depends on the size, position and some other factors of clotting & the clot (and additional circumstances).

Years ago I did a mini internship (a few months) on the effect of experimental agents on thrombus formation and subsequent embolism formation. It concerned research of a PhD in which I was allowed to participate. She did her tests, among other things, in the rabbit intestine. It showed that some of them had a significant positive effect on the formation of thrombus and embolies.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2020, 09:16:09 AM »

Recently I heard that the girlfriend of an acquaintance had strokes at a relatively young age due to a defect in the vascular wall of a carotid artery. Apparently, the vessel wall was already sensitive for torns or was even partially torn already. From what her friend understood, this is a rare defect and could also occur in other large veins, especially those near the kidneys. His girlfriend would therefore now have stents in her veins at/to the kidneys. Since she is currently expecting her (longed for) first child, I was curious if her condition was hereditary. According to her boyfriend only if both she and he would be a carrier for the condition and even then it would be a (very) rare condition.

From what I understood she is under regular control and uses beta blockers, among other things. Because of her pregnancy, some medicines had to be adjusted to limit the risk to the child as much as possible.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2020, 09:17:24 AM »

patent foramen ovale in the heart,isn't that the innate opening in the septum of the atria in the heart has never closed?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: