Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Danish Prince Joachim, 51, had to go to hospital in Toulouse, France  (Read 24639 times)
LittleThunder

Gigantic Member

France France

Forever my Queen.

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2020, 06:39:12 PM »

No new news for now. They say the intervention was a success, so I hope for the hest.

Prince Joachim of Denmark undergoes emergency brain surgery

https://royalcentral.co.u...ood-clot-on-brain-146399/

Prince Joachim of Denmark hospitalised following blood clot on the brain
https://www.hellomagazine...wing-blood-clot-on-brain/

amethyst

Mini Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2020, 07:08:48 PM »

Thought I'd put this here, as a reminder and for those who mightn't have seen this before:

Signs of Stroke in Men and Women
Sudden numbness or weakness in the face, arm, or leg, especially on one side of the body
Sudden confusion, trouble speaking, or difficulty understanding speech
Sudden trouble seeing in one or both eyes
Sudden trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance, or lack of coordination
Sudden severe headache with no known cause
Call 9-1-1 (or your local emergency responders) right away if you or someone else has any of these symptoms.

Acting F.A.S.T. Is Key for Stroke
Acting F.A.S.T. can help stroke patients get the treatments they desperately need. The stroke treatments that work best are available only if the stroke is recognized and diagnosed within 3 hours of the first symptoms. Stroke patients may not be eligible for these if they don’t arrive at the hospital in time.

If you think someone may be having a stroke, act F.A.S.T. and do the following simple test:

F—Face: Ask the person to smile. Does one side of the face droop?

A—Arms: Ask the person to raise both arms. Does one arm drift downward?

S—Speech: Ask the person to repeat a simple phrase. Is the speech slurred or strange?

T—Time: If you see any of these signs, call 9-1-1 right away.

Note the time when any symptoms first appear. This information helps health care providers determine the best treatment for each person. Do not drive to the hospital or let someone else drive you. Call an ambulance so that medical personnel can begin life-saving treatment on the way to the emergency room.

My SIL and a friend both had strokes when they were around the same age as Joachim. Both were able to be treated with tPA (a clot busting drug), and were home within a few days. My SIL's memory is not as sharp, but otherwise both made full recoveries.

From what we are being told it sounds like Joachim had a ruptured aneurysm, but that's just my layman's armchair diagnosis.

this is so important and something that everyone should know, thank you for posting this!

also, a ruptured aneurysm would cause bleeding, not a blood clot. I’m a general surgeon, not a neurologist, but my guess is that he was either too far out from onset of symptoms to use tPA, or was given tPA and didn’t improve and thus had to have neurointerventional radiology do a thrombectomy. of course this is based on US guidelines, idk if European stroke guidelines are different

anyway, glad he was treated so quickly and I hope he makes a full recovery
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 07:24:08 PM by amethyst » Logged
PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2020, 07:47:49 PM »

A source told a Danish newspaper that.....

.....Marie is still by the prince's side at the University Hospital of Toulouse. Joachim is recovering. According to the information, Joachim can move both arms and legs and he can speak.

He is, under the circumstances, in good spirits.

Lady Liebe

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2020, 08:58:01 PM »

.....Marie is still by the prince's side at the University Hospital of Toulouse. Joachim is recovering. According to the information, Joachim can move both arms and legs and he can speak.

That is a very good thing - I very much hope it is true.

Compassion without truth isn't love, it's flattery. Love not only weeps, it also speaks.   Reagan Rose
karma chamelion

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2020, 09:03:23 PM »

That is great news. Still holding all of them in my thoughts, especially the little ones. I think he's in the best of hands, strong and young so he has a lot going for him and hopefully will be healthy soon.

I also hope this is a wake up call for him if he is still smoking that he needs to stop.
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2020, 09:44:08 PM »

Joachim is in his early fifties, so while young in the overall life expectancy scheme, not young though when it comes to strokes.
As explained there are basically two different kinds of strokes:
Ischemic strokes are caused by a lack of blood flow usually due to some obstruction
Hemorrhagic strokes are caused by bleeding (due to a ruptured blood vessel) into either the brain or bewtween the brain membranes.
In any case, brain cells die of oxygen starvation. The outcome however depends greatly on how big the affected area is (that is how many brain cells died), which area was affected. To minimise the starvation, time is of the essence.
The faster medical intervention can stop either the bleeding or the blocking, the fewer brain cells are cut off oxygen and the smaller the affected area might be.
The fact that that Joachim is said to be conscious, talking and moving both arms, is good news. And I am convinced that he is in good hands, that will monitor his condition seriously.
Strokes can have a habit of coming in series, like earthquakes, there is often a small stroke (mini stroke) that sometimes even goes unnoticed and than a bigger stroke will follow.  Again, I think he is in the best of care.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
lynaH

Micro Member

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2020, 09:54:05 PM »

I love the honesty of that statement. No trying to pretend that a man who just had a stroke is laughing, cracking jokes and being the life and soul of the whole ward. A basic acknowledgement that this is not a situation anyone wants to be in, and a statement that he's coping as best he can.
Paulina

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2020, 11:43:37 PM »

Pray that he gets better. Such terrible news. Boy, life can change in an instant.
cordtx

Warned
Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2020, 01:06:32 AM »

Covid was my first thought as well
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2020, 10:31:57 AM »

OC and others, how would such a blood clot present itself in an otherwise healthy young person? I tried looking up "endovascular thrombectomy for the treatment of an ischemic stroke" online but just got confused by the medical jargon.

Is this just one of those things, no way to know in advance?

Scary. I hope he will be okay.

At least the medical care in Toulouse is considered top notch.

Here's a website that breaks down the medical jargon...sorry for the confusion.

https://www.cirse.org/pat...ular-treatment-of-stroke/

Basically because the mentioned a blood clot and a procedure I jumped to ischemic stroke (a stroke caused by a blockage) and a endovascular thrombectomy (physically removing the blockage via the blood vessels).  It's technically more interventional radiology then strictly surgery but that's splitting hairs.  It's not the only possible answer but it's what I jumped to.

I think Joachim was/is a smoker and that can raise someone's risk.  And while he looks very healthy that doesn't mean he couldn't have either high blood pressure and/or high cholesterol.  It's hard to know but lord it is scary to think about.

Thank you.

My first thought was also that Joachim could be at higher risk because of him being a smoker. One of the risk factors we were taught during my studies.

kbart

Micro Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2020, 01:46:04 PM »

I'm slightly surprised that there hasn't been visit from a DRF family member yet. Maybe they think it would make people assume it's all more serious. It does seem weird that J's mother and brother are all on holiday while this is happening. Benedikte is in Denmark so Queen M and/or the CP could go... there's no quarantine AFAIK. Maybe some of Marie's relatives are there to give her and the kids support....
Chandrasekhi

Huge Member

Vanuatu Vanuatu

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2020, 02:24:22 PM »

https://www.en24news.com/...ndition-after-stroke.html

Princess Marie and Prince Joachim of Denmark on January 23, 2020 in Paris – PJB / SIPA

Danish Prince Joachim, who had emergency surgery on Friday evening in France after a stroke due to a blood clot. He is still in “stable condition” and “is doing well under the circumstances,” the royal palace said on Sunday.

“Prince Joachim’s situation is still stable. The prince was fortunately taken care of on time by professionals and is doing well under the circumstances, ”a spokeswoman for the palace told the Danish news agency Ritzau at midday.
Taken to Toulouse University Hospital

Joachim, 51, was spending his family vacation at Chateau de Cayx in southwestern France, a Danish royal family property in the Lot department, when he suffered a blood clot in the brain. Contrary to the initial version of the Danish media claiming that he had been helicoptered, the youngest son of Queen Margrethe II was taken by ambulance to Toulouse University Hospital, 130 kilometers from the castle, the royal court said.

As for the length of the hospital stay, “it is too early to say anything at this time,” spokeswoman Lene Balleby said. The prince had just met French journalists from the Noon dispatch Friday afternoon, said the latter, describing a “relaxed” interview.
If the reporting is correct, that is a scary distance to drive for emergency surgery. No further news is good news, I guess.

“Do or do not. There is no try.”

– Yoda
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2020, 03:31:10 PM »

About 10 years back I got a scary call during my holiday abroad. One of my brothers phoned me to say that on that day my dad would undergo a bypass operation by means of open heart surgery (later we were informed it was a triple bypass). Apparently a few days after my dad had brought me to the Dutch departure spot for my holidays he didn't feel well and ended up in hospital. They, my parents, had discussed with their doctor if it would be necessary for me to come back from holidays. If I understood my brothers story correct, there was no need at the time according to the doctor. And they, my parents, also decided not to inform me, afraid to spoil my holidays. My siblings and siblings in law were of a different opinion and decided to inform me. In discussion on the phone with my parents it was decided that I would wait abroad how the surgery would go. As at the time I could do nothing besides wait (just like my mother and siblings)  Fortunately everything went very well. And as I according to planning would be home about 1.5 a 2 days later I was pressed to finish my holidays before visiting my dad in the hospital. By coincidence my Dutch departure and arrival spot were in the same city where my dad was in hospital....
Eliza B

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2020, 03:35:00 PM »

I hope he has a speedy recovery. How scary for him and the family.
Harley
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Denmark Denmark

Team Marie all the way

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2020, 06:54:18 PM »

I don’t know if it has affected anything but I just read that Joachim stopped smoking on his 50th birthday.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: