Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Books--what are you reading & recommend  (Read 215004 times)
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #1140 on: June 10, 2020, 09:06:57 AM »

I too have readers block.  Actually more painful than writers block.

I was so happy when I was finally able to read some of those simple romance novels (those of Harlequin). From there it went up and down, still not on my old level, but still a high turnover of books again.

Give it time, and if you are up to start with something light / simple. F.e. a magazine or a very simple and or short story. Or a favourite book you always adore.

I expected to be reading even more during Corona time, but I just couldn't concentrate, or put myself towards reading. My reading went downwards.

First happened after my mother died 30 years ago.  Took 6 months to finish a small , historical novel.  Then happened last year when my beloved dog died.  Now during COVID; I think it is an outer manifestation of grief and stress and depression.  I hope it resolves sooner than it has in the past.  Thankyou for understanding Principessa! Star

Hug
getafix

Most Exalted Member

Virgin Islands, British Virgin Islands, British

Bye-Bye MEDiana Who!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #1141 on: June 10, 2020, 09:18:51 AM »

Actually reading a book about legends in islamic culture,the similarity with th rest of old civilisations in that matter is amazing...

rita, is this book in English, please?

EA: I know exactly how you feel :-(... I am reading Enid Blyton's books at the moment plus AA Milne, We are 6. REally high brow  Roll Eyes and very intellectually demanding 
take care.  Hug

G Smiley

ANDREW DENTON: Yes. What did... When you first met, what did you see in each other? CROWN PRINCE FREDERIK: What did we see in each other? We saw... Well, it's a bit hard. It's a bit blurry, in a way, because it was just after the Olympics had started and it was one of those evenings where...
esther angeline

Humongous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1142 on: June 10, 2020, 02:40:21 PM »

Just started a classic Josephine Tey mystery: Brat Farrar

Fingers crossed, it will start an avalanche of reading!
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #1143 on: June 11, 2020, 10:19:33 AM »

Just started a classic Josephine Tey mystery: Brat Farrar

Fingers crossed, it will start an avalanche of reading!

And if not, don't worry....
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #1144 on: June 12, 2020, 11:45:45 PM »

I have some trusted old friends, that I can read anytime. They are like a very cosy, warm blanket or jacket, into which you can always slip when the world goes mad.
I have read them during some of the most horrid times in my life and they have never failed me.
Of course, you can't tell anyone what exactly they are, it is a bit embarrassing to admit to be reading that instead of some inspirational or at least educational literary compositions, but sadly Thomas Mann's Zauberberg never held the same Prozac as a kitschy MMKaye novel.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
jolene

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1145 on: June 13, 2020, 11:53:56 PM »

Finished "The Hunger Games" prequel. Got it from my library on ebook. Didn't think I'd be in a President Snow book, but it's good.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #1146 on: June 15, 2020, 08:51:16 AM »

I have some trusted old friends, that I can read anytime. They are like a very cosy, warm blanket or jacket, into which you can always slip when the world goes mad.
I have read them during some of the most horrid times in my life and they have never failed me.
Of course, you can't tell anyone what exactly they are, it is a bit embarrassing to admit to be reading that instead of some inspirational or at least educational literary compositions, but sadly Thomas Mann's Zauberberg never held the same Prozac as a kitschy MMKaye novel.

Dear Fairy,

My taste with regard to books and reading material has often raised eyebrows. As mentioned, I just as easily read simple romance novels (Harlequin/Candlelight) to (semi) scientific literature. From youth / children's books to psychological thrillers etcetera. On one of my former regular train routes, a few years ago, a regular train inspector often came to see what I was reading again. Because I often managed to surprise her with my reading material. Also to spar if I knew some tips to keep her children reading.

Read what you like, what interests you, and not what someone else (or yourself) expects you to read. In NL there is compulsory reading material per taken language (Dutch = compulsory and English often also in present times). IMO this often kills the fun of reading many children and youngster have. I have followed and graduated in 3 kinds of (Dutch) secondary schools, with Dutch, English and German. This meant at least 9 so called booklists.

I could still worry about it as a child and young adult, but I have already passed that stage. Except when I meet a nice attractive (to me)  guy ..... Wink Smiley
jolene

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1147 on: July 08, 2020, 01:51:03 AM »

Just finished "Room At The Top" by Kristin Billerbeck. Great.
https://www.amazon.com/Ro...Novel-ebook/dp/B08B2HGNDN

And just started the second book in the "Royal We" series, "The Heir Affair."
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YSNBRV7
esther angeline

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #1148 on: July 08, 2020, 05:55:09 AM »

Just finished My Name is Mary Sutter.  Superb.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #1149 on: July 08, 2020, 09:46:11 AM »

Oooohhhh, if my TBR pile wasn't high enough & already growing to fast for me to keep up with......  Wink Grin

The past week my readingmaterial was very variated and diverse. Besides one English book, all in Dutch. The translated (or original titles):

- J. Probst  Love on Beach Avenue (Chicklit) (part of the Summer Sisters series)
- R. Munroe What if? (semi scientific)
- D. de Beurs Mythes about suicide (Scientific, Dutch book)
- J. Rollins Crubicle (Thriller, read in English) (part of the Sigma series)
- C. Marinelli Claiming his hidden heir (Simple romance novel)
- K. Callihan The friend zone (New Adult) (part of the Game on series)

Currently I am reading two books: a novel of Susan Mallery and a a Dutch biographical book about a woman who grew up largely in a Dutch Christian "sect". The last one is a popular book in the Netherlands, especially as she talked about it on national TV.

Rita

Ginormous Member

Stay safe

Ignore
« Reply #1150 on: July 09, 2020, 10:19:00 PM »

Actually reading a book about legends in islamic culture,the similarity with th rest of old civilisations in that matter is amazing...

rita, is this book in English, please?

EA: I know exactly how you feel :-(... I am reading Enid Blyton's books at the moment plus AA Milne, We are 6. REally high brow  Roll Eyes and very intellectually demanding 
take care.  Hug

G Smiley
Getafix my dear sorry for my late answeer i was away from the forum
I am not sure there is an English version of Mr Walid book and it's pitty because it's worthy to read.
I will for sure have a look at Enid Blyton's book  Thumb up

jolene

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1151 on: July 10, 2020, 01:47:49 AM »

In "The Heir Affair" there's a version of Max and Wax called Hax and Lax.  The book's version of Sophie (Elizabeth) is a hoot.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #1152 on: July 10, 2020, 11:23:37 AM »

In "The Heir Affair" there's a version of Max and Wax called Hax and Lax.  The book's version of Sophie (Elizabeth) is a hoot.

Paulina

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #1153 on: August 23, 2020, 04:13:58 AM »

This is helpful and interesting.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: