Earlier this week I made Beef and Guinness Stew (https://www.recipetineats...h-beef-and-guinness-stew/
) which was amazing. I served it over mashed potatoes (https://tasty.co/recipe/creamiest-mashed-potatoes
1. I added 8oz of sliced button mushroom when I was sautéing the onions to a fairly dry pan as I wanted both to give off their water without taking on extra oil.
2. I rendered the bacon in a separate pan as I was using thick cut and that never renders properly when added to stew raw. As the pan is still hot the bacon and grease pour right in to the stew pot no problem.
3. I waited to add the garlic until after all the vegetable had sautéed...stirred for 30-60 seconds and then added the flour. Burnt garlic is the worst.
4. For the potatoes I always use 5lbs (that's the bag size at my grocery store) but I don't need to adjust the butter or cream to get a nice texture.
5. I let the cream, garlic, rosemary mix steep while the potatoes are boiling in heats on medium heat fairly quickly and once it starts to bubble I turn off the heat and leave it alone until I need it.
6. Also for the potatoes I use a ricer.
Oooh indeed that sounds delicious!