Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hawaiian shirts  (Read 3898 times)
Diogenes
Board Helper
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2020, 12:59:07 PM »

Whaa, that is a scary thought - thanks for the info, Dio  Star

We are the only dept. in our association who has the tradition and I texted a colleague a while ago to see if he knows. So, as far as he remembers it was brought on by an ex-Hawaian pilot who worked in our office and to make him comfortable they started to wear the shirt on sloppy Friday's. Knowing most of my coworkers for over 10 years (we are a bunch of multi nationals, multi racial, multi lingual, aviators, engineers, ex-aviators, aeronautical people, and others from all walks of life) I doubt that any of them would side with those right wing imbeciles. Let's hope none of them is hiding amongst us Nerves Tell you what though, since I'm a sh&*t-stirer, I'll mention that at our next virtual staff meeting. Since I'm hosting those and see all the people on my screen, I'm now curious what their reaction will be.  Thinking

Oh well, if it was a jet jock who started it, no worries ... goes quintuple for an ex-Hawaiian jet jock.  Sounds like a fabulous department.  Pilots are such flyin’ people!
PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2020, 07:21:40 PM »

Whaa, that is a scary thought - thanks for the info, Dio  Star

We are the only dept. in our association who has the tradition and I texted a colleague a while ago to see if he knows. So, as far as he remembers it was brought on by an ex-Hawaian pilot who worked in our office and to make him comfortable they started to wear the shirt on sloppy Friday's. Knowing most of my coworkers for over 10 years (we are a bunch of multi nationals, multi racial, multi lingual, aviators, engineers, ex-aviators, aeronautical people, and others from all walks of life) I doubt that any of them would side with those right wing imbeciles. Let's hope none of them is hiding amongst us Nerves Tell you what though, since I'm a sh&*t-stirer, I'll mention that at our next virtual staff meeting. Since I'm hosting those and see all the people on my screen, I'm now curious what their reaction will be.  Thinking

Oh well, if it was a jet jock who started it, no worries ... goes quintuple for an ex-Hawaiian jet jock.  Sounds like a fabulous department.  Pilots are such flyin’ people!

it is and I like them - well, most of the time. Always on the dot.

CyrilSebastian

Humongous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2020, 01:10:41 AM »

Different ways to wear the same Hawaiian shirt   
http://www.alohafunwear.c...r-the-same-hawaiian-shirt
CyrilSebastian

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2020, 12:02:30 AM »

Hawaiian shirt how to wear     
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FxlGztwd20
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2020, 10:33:57 AM »

I totally hate it when some group basically hijacks a tradition, a "something" or other and ruins it for the rest of us, since suddenly it is tainted.
(like here wearing folk costumes is considered "völkisch" (PeDe, you probably know that word?) which is associated with Nazis, I heard people saying that the best thing with Corona was that those "völkische" festivities like the Wiesen and the Wasn couldn't take place)

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
anastasia beaverhausen

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2020, 06:28:37 PM »

I totally hate it when some group basically hijacks a tradition, a "something" or other and ruins it for the rest of us, since suddenly it is tainted.
(like here wearing folk costumes is considered "völkisch" (PeDe, you probably know that word?) which is associated with Nazis, I heard people saying that the best thing with Corona was that those "völkische" festivities like the Wiesen and the Wasn couldn't take place)

Well said, Fairy. What did Hawaiian shirts ever do to deserve this?
PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2020, 10:15:30 PM »

Yup, I heard it as well. When I was young, I was never into Trachten in general, my late mom was, and my sister still is. Only when I moved to the states, it somehow hit me, and I ordered several Dirndls - gave me a feel of home. And now I like to wear them...I even have Lederhosen for women  Spiteful  Cute

It's always and everywhere the same, isn't it?! Stupid people are what stupid people do/say. A handful (metaphorically speaking) of idiots ruining it for the rest of us.

CyrilSebastian

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2021, 11:15:36 PM »

Bright Pink   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6ryr6OQ4Ig
CyrilSebastian

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2021, 11:49:58 PM »