Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mary, the Princess Royal and Countess of Harewood (1897-1965)  (Read 838 times)
royalwessex
Banned
Baby Member

United States United States

Ignore
« on: October 01, 2020, 05:10:58 PM »

Elisabeth Basford has a new biography of her coming out in January 2021. In this article I explore what's been written about her and what we know so far, with some citations from Basford's article in the latest Majesty Magazine.

https://burbankstory.word.../2020/10/01/princessmary/

Works Cited

“An active, unobtrusive, and personal life.” The Times. UK. 28 or 29 March 1965. Obituary of Princess Mary the Princess Royal cited in Van der Kiste, John and Marriott, Emma.

Basford, Elisabeth. “A Quiet Devotion to Duty.” Majesty magazine. Volume 41. Number 8. August 2020.

Collins, Alice S. “Princess Mary’s Wedding Bells: England’s Absorbing Interest in Preparations for her Romantic Marriage with Viscount Lascelles–Presents from People.” The New York Times. 5 February 1922. Web.

Glasper, Edward. “Celebrating a Century of State Regulation of Children’s and Young People’s Nurses in the UK (1919–2019).” Comprehensive Child and Adolescent Nursing 2 Jan. 2020: 1–9. URL: https://www.tandfonline.c...080/24694193.2019.1707594

Marriott, Emma, and Fellowes, Julian. Downton Abbey: The Official Film Companion. United States, St. Martin’s Publishing Group, 2019.

Miller, Julie. “Downton Abbey Movie: Was Princess Mary’s Marriage Really Unhappy?” Vanity Fair magazine. 21 September 2019. URL: https://web.archive.org/w...abbey-movie-princess-mary.

Van der Kiste, John. George V’s Children. The History Press, 2011. Kindle edition.

Vickers, Hugo. “Factchecking Downton Abbey: What the film got wrong about the Royals.” The Telegraph. UK. 17 September 2019. URL: http://archive.today/5DEAg.

@royalwessex
Carreen

Mini Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 08:25:40 PM »

Great reading list, thank you! I'll keep my eyes peeled for that biography. I have a weakness for biographies of women who are not in everybody's mind, like Daisy Connaugt/Sweden, Irene of Prussia and Princess Mary. Oh to have a diary written by her, just for herself ;-) and the "future souls".... i.e., us!
Ellie

Warned
Humongous Member

proud moron thx Scooby Doo

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 09:52:38 PM »

I am pleased a biography is coming out about Mary. I know far more about her brothers than I do her. All I know is I really want to know the truth behind her marriage! Why did she marry someone so much older? Was it truly arranged for her, as a bet? Were they happy? I remember reading she was a tomboy. I wonder - was she treated as poorly as her brothers?

writing angry fauxminist letters in the Lesbaru
royalwessex
Banned
Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 11:05:50 PM »

I am pleased a biography is coming out about Mary. I know far more about her brothers than I do her. All I know is I really want to know the truth behind her marriage! Why did she marry someone so much older? Was it truly arranged for her, as a bet? Were they happy? I remember reading she was a tomboy. I wonder - was she treated as poorly as her brothers?

I explore that question, about her marriage, in my own article plus it is a big question in all of my works cited. It is a question that became particularly pressing after Julian Fellowes portrayed Henry as such a brute in the Downton Abbey movie. I have come to a quasi-conclusion (not a full conclusion, because I'm open to other information/views) that Hugo Vickers is basically right in surmising that Henry was NOT a brute, but probably will be cast that way for all of time because of the movie.

As to why she married such an old fellow, I believe, based on her patterns, that she simply preferred company of older people. And very serious people to boot. Unlike David she was not interested in the party set. I doubt if she ever went to a dance club or tasted a martini (unless it was a very dry, bland martini, with only a single olive, because she was super-disciplined.) 

John van der Kiste thinks she was NOT happy. He leaves an impression of someone who did not even seem very interested in becoming happy.
I love John van der Kiste, but I have to respectfully disagree. I think she was just kind of a loner. She liked being alone in her garden. Or playing piano. Or going for walks with her boys. She did charity work because she believed in the cause, but she wasn't terribly interested in looking good for the camera or even making friends. Maybe I'm wrong, but this is what I perceive.

@royalwessex
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2020, 01:32:34 AM »

Princess Mary enjoyed working the model dairy that her paternal grandmother Queen Alexandra had set up at Sandringham.
royalwessex
Banned
Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2020, 10:53:33 PM »

Princess Mary enjoyed working the model dairy that her paternal grandmother Queen Alexandra had set up at Sandringham.
Just about anything outdoors, that seems to be the consensus. I know it's morbid, but I rather appreciate that she died outside, in her garden. And walking with her son and grandchildren. Morbid, and hard for them of course, but how lovely for her to die in her favorite place with her favorite people. I think ..... is there a better way to make the transition to the Astral, so to speak?

@royalwessex
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2020, 01:28:23 AM »

The Princess Royal went to Pathe House to see the film wedding of the Earl of Harewood.   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4f-UnqiYKI
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2020, 01:34:46 AM »

Princess Mary playing a musical instrument   
http://www.gettyimages.com/license/3285244
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2020, 01:33:12 AM »

Princess Mary was born on the same day, April 25th, as her grand aunt, Grand Duchess Alice of Hesse and by Rhine. Alice was given as one of her middle names.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: