Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Navigating Holidays During COVID  (Read 1171 times)
whiplashhx

Big Member

Ignore
« on: October 29, 2020, 02:59:45 AM »

I know for us Americans Thanksgiving is coming up, for others it has passed, but Christmas is also right around the corner.

Has your family made the decision to forego or take a risk or did you come up with some way to navigate it? What's on your menu for either holiday?

For the first time ever my mothers side made the decision to forego the holidays this year which is hard considering my Grandma is in the beginning stages of dementia and doesn't understand why we won't be coming over. As for my fathers family? They're a bunch of idiots and are having a huge get together with family and family friends (They do not believe COVID is real even though one of them has gotten it, and even more of a kicker, one of my aunts just up and left for FL because she's sick of being judged for refusing a mask). So far my parents and I only have a turkey on the menu, we can't agree on side dishes at all. I want brussels sprouts so bad but they don't like them, I also want mac and cheese (which I typically make each year) but I'm feeling so lazy about it.

Off topic but I've noticed since lockdown being prolonged hearing any sort of Christmas/holiday music has been triggering due to financials and still not being able to see people other than my parents. I wish this sh*t would just disappear as quickly as it appeared. I typically b*tch and moan about how horrible the holidays are but boy, oh boy am I regretting my years of insistent b*tching.
Curtains

Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 03:11:37 AM »

My parents died a few years ago - my mom in 2017 and my dad eight months later.  I used to fly to where they lived, with my husband.  

My husbandís parents live about two hours away from us and we would go to their house from time to time for the holidays.  I did all the cooking - brought all the food and utensils and crockpot (stuffing) and roaster (turkey) and side dishes with us.  Their house is filthy. They have the cat litter in the kitchen and let the cat shit in the box then get up and walk across the kitchen table where we eat and across the kitchen counters.  I brought an extra tablecloth, all eating dishes, and eating utensils. And we stayed in a hotel.

So not seeing them for the holidays isnít much of a burden.

We are having Juniorís Cheesecakes delivered to them and to my husbandís brother/family on T-giving eve.  Sugarless for my in-laws because my MIL likes to tell everyone that my FIL is diabetic which is a total lie.  But it feeds into her victimhood.  So they get to have weird tasting cheesecakes instead of the glorious Juniorís cheesecake.

Siblings live far away.

We are fine quarantining away.  I will miss my big Christmas dinners for family and friends.  Itís prime rib, roast turkey, scalloped potatoes, stuffing, roasted carrots and asparagus, gravy, yams.  Pumpkin and pecan pies for dessert.  Much champagne.  My good china and crystal and my family silver.  We will have it again in better times.

"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic: but I had a good life, all the way." - Jimmy Buffet, America's premiere poet
Princess MS

Warned
Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 07:29:28 AM »

I don't have plans for Christmas - I will see friends for our usual get together and will get together with my niece in December - she also lives in Sydney but quite a distance away. Her birthday is mid month so it will be a get together for both occasions. My brothers and sister don't live close at all - one 5-6 hours drive and the others over 8 hours away - that is the reality in Australia. In other years I would fly to visit them but not this year. We are still waiting for State boarders to reopen so too soon to make any plans ....... so long as we stay healthy we can zoom to keep in touch and wait for person to person times.
Ellie

Warned
Humongous Member

proud moron thx Scooby Doo

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2020, 07:34:39 AM »

We're seeing family for Thanksgiving. It is FIL's birthday too. He probably will not make it to Christmas. I have no concerns, whatsoever. It stinks we have to do it at BIL and SIL's house. She is, err, a real peach. I think I have told you all about how terrible she is. I have offered to cook as I love to cook. (I already had it. SIL and BIL have. She is a nurse. She has had a lot of fun in empty hospitals for the last 8 months! Only patients are very, very old and very, very obese.) It will be us, in-laws, BIL and SIL, my parents, of course, the little kids. Small group, but easily manageable. Smaller groups are easier anyway and I hate large family gatherings.

I don't know what we are doing for Christmas. If they lift mandates in Florida we have seriously discussed saying f*ck it and going to Disney World for a week!

I do not imagine we will ever have normal holidays again, though.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 07:39:53 AM by Ellie » Logged

writing angry fauxminist letters in the Lesbaru
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2020, 08:57:37 AM »

The past couple of years I visited one or more Christmas markets in Germany with various friends, acquintances and such. For me the main aim was having a nice few days abroad with others. These visits were planned late November / early December. I think we can conclude it will not happen this year, due to Covid and resulting cancellations of German Christmas markets.

Furthermore we used to have a small Saint Nicholas (5 December) up until a few years back with family. Due to other circumstances we already dropped that one. But this means we will probably also not celebrate it with friends. During Christmas I am often at my parents place (a single lady visiting family), but I have still doubts about this year. New Years even I predominantly celebrate with a party or just cozy and fun with a few friends and co. Still no comments on that.
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2020, 09:03:03 AM »

Technically as we are in a lockdown and only up to 10 people from 2 different households are allowed to meet, we can't even have our young daughters come home for the holidays - at least not without somewhat breaking the laws. As the two older fairies live away at their respective universities, they count as their own household...

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
onar

Humongous Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2020, 09:09:19 AM »

Nice topic!

I was planning to visit my parents next weekend, but now I'm not sure what to do, because of CoviD.
I'm not very far from my parents, only 1h and a half, other people do this every day to go to work, but financially I couldn't visit them.
Now things seem to go better, I could afford visiting them (and friends) twice a month, but CoviD has other plans.
So, back on track, we don't know what we'll do for Christmas. If we're lucky and things are a bit settled down, if we are not in tight lockdown and if nobody has been sick until then, hopefully we'll spend January 1st with my parents. There's no way to go somewhere else for hollidays, it's risky and I don't want to take any chances, I mean yes, possibly we all are gonna get sick from this thing but let's take care as much as we can.

Duchess of Verona

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2020, 01:42:59 AM »

We're going to my in laws for Thanksgiving. They have an enormous compound so we are in the guest house, just we three.Everyone needs to have a negative test within 5 days before. As I am picking up Juliet de Verona from Uni in VT, I need a clean test to be able to check into the hotel in VT, so it's 2 birds 1 stone. Normally I have a huge party at Christmas (def not happening) and Easter (most likely not happening). At least Juliet's college skating season is theoretically happening in Feb/March. Though who knows.Hopefully come January, we will have a head of state who believes in science.
anastasia beaverhausen

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2020, 02:01:53 AM »

We're going to my in laws for Thanksgiving. They have an enormous compound so we are in the guest house, just we three.Everyone needs to have a negative test within 5 days before. As I am picking up Juliet de Verona from Uni in VT, I need a clean test to be able to check into the hotel in VT, so it's 2 birds 1 stone. Normally I have a huge party at Christmas (def not happening) and Easter (most likely not happening). At least Juliet's college skating season is theoretically happening in Feb/March. Though who knows.Hopefully come January, we will have a head of state who believes in science.

I hope so too DoV.
Aubiette

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2020, 02:49:59 AM »

Weíre doing the same thing we always do. We have a small family and will have both Thanksgiving and Christmas here. Hopefully a working vaccine will be available soon for those who want it. Either way Iím not interested in more government mandated lockdowns. It doesnít work and it isnít going to.
Ellie

Warned
Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2020, 04:59:39 AM »

Exactly. Lockdowns kill (I have a suicide count of people I know now that is past counting on 2 hands) and cause so much dysfunction, destruction, poverty (130m+ dying of starvation according to UNICEF). We've essentially thrown a flamethrower on a whole city to kill a spider. Even if a vaccine is available I doubt it will change things. Media is already pushing the goalposts to Mars saying it won't be enough! We have to live with it, and live our lives. We can't keep destroying ourselves, and each other, with destructive policies like lockdowns.

Like I said it's my FIL's last holiday season. I don't even know if he'll make it to Thanksgiving. He is doing very badly. :-( But we will be together as a family for what we can because not being together is just unthinkable. It will be smaller this year but that's always what I prefer. Last year we had to invite some extra family on my husband's side, and we had some friends without local family so we invited them too. I was SO stressed. Small gatherings are way more fun anyway. Christmas, I think we are definitely going to stay here and do something quiet at home after this shitty, shitty year. Maybe do a weekend away in the mountains for some skiing and winter fun we never got to do in California!

esther angeline

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2020, 05:48:35 AM »

I live alone on the East Coast of the US.  My parents are dead and I only have a brother living out West , a niece in DC, and an aunt in the South East.  I will be alone, for better or worse, with my dog.  Will not risk getting sick as I am high risk due to diabetes.  Feel like I am in a dystopian novel this year .
Ellie

Warned
Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2020, 06:07:22 AM »

Esther, you have us! Virtually but we are here!

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2020, 10:54:01 AM »

I live alone on the East Coast of the US.  My parents are dead and I only have a brother living out West , a niece in DC, and an aunt in the South East.  I will be alone, for better or worse, with my dog.  Will not risk getting sick as I am high risk due to diabetes.  Feel like I am in a dystopian novel this year .

Hug
LadyBunion

Big Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2020, 11:18:45 AM »

Looks like the UK might still have some significant lockdown restrictions over Xmas - some things are exempt from the "Rule of 6" eg business meetings, one chap has created a limited company and is employing whole family as zero hours workers and having a business meeting on Xmas day .
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: