Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Covid Vaccinations  (Read 27861 times)
Chandrasekhi

Gigantic Member

Vanuatu Vanuatu

The Memorial Wall along the Southbank in London

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2020, 01:17:42 AM »

I was surprised to learn at work last night that none of my co workers want to take the vaccine. Iím a nurse in a large hospital. I had thought they would force us but at this early stage at least, itís optional. Everyone is worried about all of the unknowns, long term consequences and the like. I also learned that they did a trial with the Pfizer vaccine at my hospital and the nurse in question was very sick for a week after getting it. No info on others, just word of mouth on the one. Itís all something to think about. I work with Covid pts frequently so I was planning to get the vaccine.  Thinking

All pertinent issues for informed consent, it would seem.   Thinking

The Book Fairies are joining judges and contributors to the #HoldStill2020 project to mark the release of the beautiful book! We are leaving copies at places that gave us hope during lockdowns. #HSBookFairies #ibelieveinbookfairies
Paulina

Huge Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2020, 03:07:10 AM »

So basically we will indeed get a vaccination elite: those who can afford and will get their hands on the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines and can thus enjoy a much higher immune status and those who can not and will only get the cheaper and less effective version. Then there are the millions who will get nothing.

That will depend on your country.

In Australia we will all be able to get the vaccine at no cost to us at point of getting the vaccine (covered under medicare). Australia has also bought enough doses to ensure that many Pacific and poorer Asian countries will also be able to get the vaccine for free (paid for by Aussie taxpayers).

New Zealand is also giving the vaccine free of charge to everyone at point of service. The UK is also free at point of vaccine.

Oh, sure. Showing off you live in a civilized country that takes science and health seriously. Am I showing my jealousy?? 

Seriously you are so fortunate.
luvcharles

Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2020, 03:25:24 AM »

Make you even more jealous - we can dance at nightclubs now and we can go to sporting events with literally 50,000 other people (I was at the SCG on Tuesday night for instance.

We did take the science and lock down seriously. I do wonder, in hindsight, whether the fear of covid+flu contributed to that as we went into lock down in late March but were able to basically lift it in late June although Victoria then had to go back into a full lock down for 111 days and now have gone well over 30 days with no community transmission. I also think the really big thing we did was close our borders even though it means we can't leave Australia and a lot of people are comparing us to North Korea as a result but it has worked and we are largely living normal lives now.

Sadly, yesterday, the Australian government had to pull the plug on the University of Queensland vaccine due to not meeting required standards while in the testing stage ... but that only reinforces my confidence in the vaccine/s that Australia will eventually use (expected to begin roll out in March and to be completed by the end of 2021 when they may get around to reopening out borders).
karma chamelion

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2020, 10:24:12 AM »

I was surprised to learn at work last night that none of my co workers want to take the vaccine. Iím a nurse in a large hospital. I had thought they would force us but at this early stage at least, itís optional. Everyone is worried about all of the unknowns, long term consequences and the like. I also learned that they did a trial with the Pfizer vaccine at my hospital and the nurse in question was very sick for a week after getting it. No info on others, just word of mouth on the one. Itís all something to think about. I work with Covid pts frequently so I was planning to get the vaccine.  Thinking

My daughter doesn't want to get it but she says it will be mandatory. She's calling herself a guinea pig. I don't like that she's not comfortable with it and is having it forced on her.
Future Crayon

Most Exalted Member

Til and Phil fan account

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2020, 02:17:32 PM »

I'd have the vaccine tomorrow if I could.

The Oxford vaccine is still lower on the efficacy stakes, but it is the first to publish results in a proper peer reviewed article in The Lancet, which is reassuring. It also has huge benefits around cost and storage temperature

Cool your jets, everyone
cordtx

Warned
Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2020, 06:27:16 PM »

After lots of research, Iím not afraid of mRNA vaccine and canít wait to get it. As a RN/NP I hope I get it soon !
Iíll let yíall know if I do
Paulina

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2020, 07:23:00 PM »

I heard a doctor/professor at Emory university on npr the other day saying that medical workers should not get the vaccines first. They have protocols and protections in place and just need more ppe. He said the ICU beds will still be as full, which doesnít help. He said the first peopleís to get it should be the kind of people who wind up in the ICU in the first place. He recommended starting with everyone on Medicare and Medicaid. Then the ICU beds can be reduced. He thought front line healthcare workers should be down the line.

Thoughts?
karma chamelion

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2020, 07:32:39 PM »

After lots of research, Iím not afraid of mRNA vaccine and canít wait to get it. As a RN/NP I hope I get it soon !

Good, thanks for saying that cordtx, that makes me feel better about my daughter being required (if that's truly the case and I'm not just misunderstanding) to get it. I would think the same as you and will take it when the time comes just like I get a flu shot every year.
LarLa

Small Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2020, 07:49:29 PM »

Didn't see any Canadians chime in yet Smiley I'm assuming the vaccine is free as the vaccines they want everyone to get are free. Canada has bought a lot of vaccine doses from several different suppliers - I think we ordered the most in the world actually (almost 9 doses for every Canadian). The plan I believe is to share what we don't need with poorer nations.

The Pfizer vaccine was approved by Health Canada earlier this week with delivery next week. They did a dry run of that process this week and the military is being used for distribution. There are 14 approved delivery point (the main hospital in my city is one). The vaccine can't leave that delivery point and anyone getting it must go there. The first tier is long term care residents (who won't be able to get the Pfizer one because they can't go to the delivery point), workers at the homes, those people over 80 (or 85..not sure the age but either way my mom falls in that category) and front line health care workers. They haven't said in my province but I think hospital workers will be getting it first. The Pfizer vaccine won't be going to northern communities because of the logistics involved but the Moderna one (and others) will be.

I'm in Newfoundland and Labrador and we're doing well still although we've had a few recent clusters. Everything is still open - stores, restaurants, bars, etc. We have a 14 day isolation period for anyone coming into the province including other Canadians and people have to apply for entry if they don't live here.
anastasia beaverhausen

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2020, 09:10:19 PM »

Good, thanks for saying that cordtx, that makes me feel better about my daughter being required (if that's truly the case and I'm not just misunderstanding) to get it. I would think the same as you and will take it when the time comes just like I get a flu shot every year.

I plan on getting it as soon as I can. I donít believe we will have a full global recovery (economic or health) until we decrease the rate of infections.
cordtx

Warned
Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2020, 09:51:36 PM »

Karma. As I understand it since the vaccine was approved under emergency authorization, it can not be made mandatory for anyone including healthcare workers to take it
karma chamelion

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2020, 11:18:38 PM »

Karma. As I understand it since the vaccine was approved under emergency authorization, it can not be made mandatory for anyone including healthcare workers to take it

Excellent, thank you. Hug Star
I think I'll do some research so I can give her some hard evidence to counter whatever she's hearing through the grapevine.
Lady Liebe

Gigantic Member

Provence Amaryllis

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2020, 05:57:21 PM »

I, along with Lord L, are planning on getting the vaccination as soon as it is available to us. When that will be is not known.

In Ohio it is not mandatory for anyone to get the shots. We have a data heavy Covid website, so when we do start vaccinating I am sure there will be a new graph and map showing how many have been vaccinated by county, possibly even by zip code. So vaccinations will be easy to track.

We have a nephew in law and great nephew who volunteered for the vaccine trials - they reported no major problems - but then we do not know if they received the vaccine or a placebo!

The way I see it now is those who decide not to get it in first round means that there is more for others who do want the shot.

Here is a question for our healthcare workers on the board -

I was surprised to learn at work last night that none of my co workers want to take the vaccine. Iím a nurse in a large hospital. I had thought they would force us but at this early stage at least, itís optional. Everyone is worried about all of the unknowns, long term consequences and the like. I also learned that they did a trial with the Pfizer vaccine at my hospital and the nurse in question was very sick for a week after getting it. No info on others, just word of mouth on the one. Itís all something to think about. I work with Covid pts frequently so I was planning to get the vaccine.  Thinking

So we know that Covid effects everyone differently - and that it has gone through some mutations - given all this, does this bear on the severity of the side effects of the vaccine per individual? Would someone who, if they had hypothetically contracted a severe case Covid be likely to have severe symptoms if they chose to be vaccinated?  

Stay safe everyone.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 06:31:57 PM by Lady Liebe » Logged

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.       Daniel Patrick Moynihan
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2020, 08:55:15 PM »

I heard a doctor/professor at Emory university on npr the other day saying that medical workers should not get the vaccines first. They have protocols and protections in place and just need more ppe. He said the ICU beds will still be as full, which doesnít help. He said the first peopleís to get it should be the kind of people who wind up in the ICU in the first place. He recommended starting with everyone on Medicare and Medicaid. Then the ICU beds can be reduced. He thought front line healthcare workers should be down the line.

Thoughts?
Well in theory that is correct: prevent people from getting sick and you don't doctors and nurses who care for them.
In reality I think there is a need for a two tonged approach: vaccinate the most vulnerable (who will likely end up in the ICUs) and also vaccinate the teams caring for them.
Germany e.g. regularly has about 28.000 intensiv-care units (they can up to 45.000 for emergencies) currently 4.500 are used for Covid patients, another 17.000 are used for other patients - spare beds are about 4800. (not even counting the emergency extras)
So what Germany is in dire need of is Emergency care personal. Staff is out sick, on leave due to their own possible vulnerabilities, etc... We basically missed the opportunity to prepare for the rising numbers in the summer.
So now, hospitals are accepting less patients.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Ellie

Warned
Ginormous Member

proud moron thx Scooby Doo

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2020, 09:49:01 PM »

I would assume judging what little I know of vaccines that it just depends. I've had terrible reactions to some flu vaccines and others, none at all. I had an allergic reaction to MMR that put me in the hospital. Makes me nervous.

I already had the virus, and so I don't want it, though I assume I will have to if I wish to ever travel again if it's allowed for us plebs. I assume it will be required for travel, work, existing in general. Not mandated by law, but by companies, organizations, etc.

writing angry fauxminist letters in the Lesbaru
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: