Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 38   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Covid Vaccinations  (Read 98437 times)
Miss Marple

Humongous Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #510 on: August 26, 2021, 09:41:08 PM »

I am a secondary teacher in a socially disadvantaged school. I had students who did not look at any exercises they would get for many weeks, claim "computer problems" as an excuse not to attend video conferences and the parents told me on the phone it was my job not theirs to make the kid to their work. The same parents screamed weeks later when the kids flunked the exams. If I found another job, I would be gone.
My collegue and his girlfriend filmed some Maths lessons in the classroom and uploaded them. In average 6/30 kids watched them - well, clicked on the video, not sure if they watched.
Lady Liebe

Gigantic Member

United States United States

Provence Amaryllis

Ignore
« Reply #511 on: August 27, 2021, 07:07:05 PM »

I'm putting this here, though I debated putting it in the Laughs and Memes or the Interesting News threads -

Hat tip to The King of the Britons.

Texas man strips down to his swim trunks to make a point about masks in school.

As a rule, taking one’s pants off to make a point about kids’ safety isn’t a good idea, but it worked for a father of four in Dripping Springs Independent School District outside Austin, Texas.

James Akers literally removed his clothes to demonstrate to the district’s board of trustees that there are some rules a civilized society follows even if it means a temporary restriction on personal liberties. He was given 90 seconds to address the board and put on quite a show.

“I’m here to say that I do not like government or any other entity — just ask my wife — telling me what to do,” he began. “But sometimes I gotta push the envelope a little bit. And I’ve just decided that I’m going to not just talk about it, but I’m going to walk the walk.”

Several parents spoke during the meeting, some making more sense than others, but Akers was the only one to disrobe. (Akers starts talking at the 26 minutes and 20 seconds mark in the video.)

He started by saying that his employer makes him wear a coat and he hates it. He also said he has to wear a shirt and tie to work, which he doesn’t like, either. Akers removed those items, as well as his shirt as other parents in the crowd cheered.

“On the way over here I ran three stop signs and four red lights,” he continued. “I almost killed somebody out there. But by God, it’s my roads, too. So I have every right to drive as fast as I want to.”

Akers also said he parked his car in a spot reserved for people with physical disabilities, which he joked was also his way of exercising personal freedom over the well-being of his community. He eventually removed all of his clothing except for a pair of swim trunks.

“It’s simple protocol,” Akers concluded. ”We follow certain rules for a very good reason.”

Board president Barbara Stroud, treading lightly, moved to restore order.

“Mr. Akers, I understand, I believe you’re a swimmer, but if you wouldn’t mind putting your pants back on for a comment that would be appreciated,” she said.

The pro-mask dad complied to that request.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies.     CS Lewis
anastasia beaverhausen

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #512 on: August 28, 2021, 12:13:28 AM »

Another place we are feeling the strain from Covid is in our school systems.  One of my dear friends is a high school math teacher in one of the local school districts. He's a really dedicated teacher who has been on the job for more than 20 years, but he's barely holding it together. In the past week the head of information technology for the school quit, the number 2 IT person got sent to a mental hospital after a stress-induced breakdown. Two math teachers simply did not return to teach this year, and yesterday the school's guidance counselor walked in and said ``I've had it. I quit.'' The school was virtual-only last year, so I can imagine how stressed the IT people were what with trying to keep everybody's system up and running for virtual instruction.  And the stress of dealing with parents who send their unvaccinated and unmasked kids to school as a political challenge is undoing everyone.  At one of the local HMOs, the request for therapy appointments for kids is up 400 percent because the kids are having a really hard time as well.  Bottom line is that this damn virus has hit us hard on so many fronts.

One of my grands is turning eight next week. No birthday party, of course.  There have been 29 cases of Covid already at his school and the year is just beginning.  And friends in New Orleans, where they have had more deaths per day this week than they have ever had before during the pandemic, are now facing the possibility of a direct-hit hurricane. To a town where there are no hospital beds available.

I just wish people would line up and get their shots and wear their damn masks.

Me too, bumbershoot.

My eldest stepdaughter is a doctor and also married to one. I think they’ve both aged 10 years in the last 12 months. They are physically exhausted from constant long hours, but worse is the mental exhaustion from treating people who refused the vaccine because they “Don’t know what’s in it”. Youngest stepdaughter’s father in law is also a medical doctor and self confessed “militant anti-vaxxer”. He is currently in the ER with covid/double pneumonia. Thoughts and prayers are being requested.

When did we get so stupid?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 01:58:05 AM by anastasia beaverhausen » Logged
Lady Liebe

Gigantic Member

Provence Amaryllis

Ignore
« Reply #513 on: August 28, 2021, 12:38:34 AM »

The state of Louisiana just had its highest daily death toll from the entire course of the pandemic.   In several U.S. states, hospitals are so overburdened that they simply cannot take any more patients of any kind. Some states have had to bring in medical units from the U.S. military to aid the exhausted and overburdened medical staffs at various hospitals. What do all those states have in common? A very high percentage of unvaccinated people, plus governors who are opposed to mask mandates, including those for unvaccinated children.

SNIP

To make matters immeasurably worse Ida is now heading for Louisiana and is forecast to be a major category 4 hurricane when it hits the coast.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies.     CS Lewis
Cordelia Fitzgerald

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #514 on: August 28, 2021, 04:16:51 AM »

Getting Moderna round 2 tomorrow am...  Have planned literally nothing for the whole day because my friends who got it felt absolutely wrecked after the 2nd dose.  I've even heated a frozen pizza (don't judge...I have a weakness for frozen pizza  Laugh bounce ) this evening so I can just reheat pieces in the microwave tomorrow if I am exhausted or feeling sick!
Miss Marple

Humongous Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #515 on: August 28, 2021, 01:07:39 PM »

Here (Germany) the anti-vaxxers always present them as superior, like "I know something you don't know". The sad thing is that many of these people are below average when it comes to intelligence and formal knowledge, very often they can't even spell basic words, but still they feel that all of a sudden they are among the 5% cleverest people in the world.

What I hated - I was among the second group of people who got vaccinated because of my job (teacher). A lot of people checked up on me - not because they cared but because they wanted to have personal experiences to find reasons to get vaccinated (or not).
Aubiette

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #516 on: August 28, 2021, 03:34:21 PM »

Getting Moderna round 2 tomorrow am...  Have planned literally nothing for the whole day because my friends who got it felt absolutely wrecked after the 2nd dose.  I've even heated a frozen pizza (don't judge...I have a weakness for frozen pizza  Laugh bounce ) this evening so I can just reheat pieces in the microwave tomorrow if I am exhausted or feeling sick!

The second Moderna had me feeling crappy the next day. Nothing severe, just achy and spent the day on the couch. It lasted 24 hours max. Enjoy the pizza.  Grin
kookai

Mini Member

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Ignore
« Reply #517 on: August 28, 2021, 04:39:21 PM »

I wasn’t scared but all of those side effects including irregular menstrual cycle and the direct affect of your own immune system taking a hit while it’s busy making antibodies to the spike protein. And it’s all stuff that would have happened but worse if got the spike protein from actual Covid. Plus, the more that are vaccinated the less chance the virus has to make variants like Delta which can harm the under age 12 kids who can’t get the vaccine yet.
I had a sore arm for a few days with first Moderna and then extreme fatigue and muscle aches for one day and that was it.
I hope you get it soon.

Sorry but your statement about the vaccine lessens the chance of the emergence of variants is incorrect. Previous viral vaccines used inactivated or attenuated whole virus meaning that if the virus was able to mutate to evade one antibody response the body had several more in reserve. Making a vaccine against a single protein is a sure way to ensure a variant emerges since the virus’ aim is to survive. This is nothing new in infection and immunity.
https://www.quantamagazin...ogens-to-evolve-20180510/
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 04:52:00 PM by kookai » Logged
Cordelia Fitzgerald

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #518 on: August 28, 2021, 04:53:50 PM »

The second Moderna had me feeling crappy the next day. Nothing severe, just achy and spent the day on the couch. It lasted 24 hours max. Enjoy the pizza.  Grin

Thanks!   Smiley  I'm firmly ensconced on the couch with my cat, some iced coffee & pizza, and an endless series of "Murder She Wrote" episodes!   

Hoping if I feel bad it's today and not tomorrow!
anneboleyn

Warned
Big Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #519 on: August 28, 2021, 07:17:13 PM »

Sounds like a great day!

“And she will keep coming back to life, over and over again, because beneath the skin of this gentle human lives a warrior unstoppable.” - Annabelle M. Ramos
bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #520 on: August 28, 2021, 09:12:05 PM »

I used to live and work in New Orleans, so I tend to watch the news from Louisiana. Right now the children's hospital is overflowing with very very sick -- and sometimes dying -- children who have Covid. Most of them come from families where the adults are unvaccinated and had been mask skeptics. Now these little kids are too sick to move, and the hurricane is barrelling down on the Louisiana coastline, with New Orleans more or less in the bullseye. Such a confluence of disasters!

And one of my friend's 88-year-old mother is in a New Orleans nursing home. What to do? What to do?  She's been safe so far and she has been vaccinated, but the Delta variant is running hog wild through the state, and conditions in any evacuation center are likely to accelerate the spread of the damn virus.

But meanwhile, the feed stores and pet shops are running out of a cattle de-worming product people are taking rather than get the vaccine. I honestly do not know what to think!

One of my doctor cousins posted yesterday that he has a patient in his small rural town here in the west with a massive tumor, who needs hospitalization. But the local hospital is filled to bursting with Covid patients, 98 percent of whom were unvaccinated.

Celia

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #521 on: August 28, 2021, 10:00:52 PM »

A friend of a friend posted on FB that her doctor gave her doxycycline AND ivermectin (sp?  the de-wormer) FOR COVID PREVENTION.  I was shocked.  Then this person claimed to be a nurse!  That SHE knew better than other people!  I couldn't believe it --an anti-biotic AND an anti-parasite drug?!  For a virus?  No wonder we have antibiotic-resistant diseases on the rise.
anastasia beaverhausen

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #522 on: August 29, 2021, 01:14:51 AM »

A friend of a friend posted on FB that her doctor gave her doxycycline AND ivermectin (sp?  the de-wormer) FOR COVID PREVENTION.  I was shocked.  Then this person claimed to be a nurse!  That SHE knew better than other people!  I couldn't believe it --an anti-biotic AND an anti-parasite drug?!  For a virus?  No wonder we have antibiotic-resistant diseases on the rise.

Amazing how educated people who should absolutely know better are promulgating this willful ignorance:

Here’s a story of a discredited nurse who compared the NHS to Nazi’s:  https://www.theguardian.c...ears-for-safety-of-medics

And here’s the medical doctor who started it all:  https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02989-9
anneboleyn

Warned
Big Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #523 on: August 29, 2021, 06:00:44 AM »

Cordelia, how are you feeling?

“And she will keep coming back to life, over and over again, because beneath the skin of this gentle human lives a warrior unstoppable.” - Annabelle M. Ramos
Jane

Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #524 on: August 29, 2021, 11:08:05 AM »

Hester sorry to hear you had a bad reaction to the vaccine. Such a lottery, isn't it?  Hope you can shake it off.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 38   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: