Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Year's Traditions around the globe  (Read 1223 times)
chocolate_angel

Medium Member

Ignore
« on: December 13, 2020, 06:32:07 PM »

Dear fellow dishers,

I hope that you are all well and can enjoy - in some way or the other- Christmas time and the arrival of the New Year.
I was wondering what New Year's tradition do you know or pursuit...
I know that in Brazil people eat 12 grapes at midnight - one with each chime of the bell...

Take care and stay healthy 
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 07:49:49 PM »

Usually at New Years Eve everybody around here is having some sort of a party, watching a specific little television or video clip (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN9edpdCH7c). At a few minutes before 12, everybody bundles up, grabs their champagne and some fireworks and gets outside to see the fireworks in the city and toast the New Year with everybody else on the street...
This year, we are probably going to bed...

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Countess of Cows

Humongous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 08:08:24 PM »

In my family we've always eaten black eyed peas for good luck.

During the Civil War as Sherman swept through the south they took or destroyed all the foodstuffs.  But they left blackeyed peas because in the north they didn't eat them but fed them to livestock.  Black eyed peas literally saved the south from starvation.

"I would sooner have you hate me for telling you the truth than adore me for telling you lies." Pietro Aretino

I would rather be hated for something I am, than loved for something I am not. -Bob Marley
Curtains

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2020, 11:43:17 PM »

We usually make a meal of good-luck foods:  pork roast, black-eyed peas; round buttermilk biscuits (resembling coins, for a prosperous new year; a leafy green (like spinach) for the green of money in the new year.  Champagne because we like it.

We rarely make it to midnight.  We might this year, just to see 2020 left behind.

"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic: but I had a good life, all the way." - Jimmy Buffet, America's premiere poet
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2020, 08:46:30 AM »

In general the Dutch celebrate New Years Eve with firework (at midnight) after having spend the eve with family, friends or at a party. This year this is problematic because of Covid-19. Just like our close neighbours in Germany.

The region where I was born and grew up also has a tradition of carbide shooting to celebrate New Year. Carbide shooting is a local practice in some southern, northern and eastern regions of the Netherlands. It usually takes place on or around New Year's Eve, although in the south of the Netherlands it is traditionally often done on the evening of the banns. The tradition also exists in Belgium and in recent years there has been a revival with New Year's Eve, and also at weddings. Calcium carbide is placed in a milk can, paint can or adapted gas bottle and slightly wetted, e.g. with saliva or water, after which the can is closed with the lid or a (plastic) ball. The forming ethyne is ignited through a small zundhole (or with a spark plug) and detonated with a thundering bang, ejecting a lid or ball from the can and ending up tens of meters away. The bang is often deafening on a large bus

The last minutes of the old year are often counted down together, with or without the (countdown) clock shown on Dutch TV.

In addition, oliebollen (with or without currants) and appel beignets (apple fritters) (often called appelflappen (apple turnovers), which is not entirely correct) are typical for Dutch New Year's Eve. These treats have been available from the end of November / beginning of December for years. And there are also so-called mobile stalls that sell it almost all year round at fairs etc.

For several people in my surroundings, including some friends, the Dutch Top 2000 is also included. The Top 2000 is an annual radio program of the Dutch radio station NPO Radio 2. It plays the most popular songs in 2000, one after the other. The Top 2000 has been broadcast on the last days of every calendar year since 1999. The number 1 of the list, which is already known in advance, will be played last on December 31. For most of the years Bohemian Rhapsody of Queen was number 1, but a.o. this year it has been beaten to it.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 08:57:14 AM by Principessa » Logged
Pomme

Gigantic Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Mary who?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2020, 10:37:38 AM »

Usually at New Years Eve everybody around here is having some sort of a party, watching a specific little television or video clip (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN9edpdCH7c). At a few minutes before 12, everybody bundles up, grabs their champagne and some fireworks and gets outside to see the fireworks in the city and toast the New Year with everybody else on the street...
This year, we are probably going to bed...

Ahhhh Dinner for One...
That's been on Dutch television for decades, too. I remember from when I was very little that my parents were in stitches about it.

The food at New Year's - apart from the oliebollen and appelflappen Principessa already mentioned - is nothing special here, but champagne is essential. Or cava, prosecco, anything sparkly. I'm not sure if many people still wait until 12 to pop a bottle, because we're usually drinking it all night, heck why not?

We used to go to a big wine trade show in Paris at the beginning of December (lately a slightly smaller one in Lille in November but they were all cancelled this year) and bring back a few boxes of champagne at a nice price, so indulging in bubbly was our normal.

Older kids would roam the streets, lighting firework long before it was officially allowed (from 0.00 to 02.00 or so on New Year's morning) but this year I won't let the Pomster out. Fireworks apart from the kiddy stuff are not allowed, and this has already resulted in unruly youths in one village wrecking the place and lighting heavy fireworks for a couple of nights. It seems quiet now (where are their parents you ask...), once the police started heavy surveillance. There will be double the amount of police on the street everywhere this New Year's Eve.

In some (rural) parts of The Netherlands there is a lovely (?) tradition of 'slepen', dragging/schlepping. Tradiotionally it was to remind famers to keep their yards tidy (anything loose would be schlepped to some place further away to teach the messy farmer a lesson, think carts, milk cans, etc). In my parent's village this would include the garden chairs (from your fenced garden!!), planters, bicycles, the mailbox  so everybody would make sure all their stuff was safely indoors. I don't know if it is still this bad (because you coulf well classify it as vandalism or theft).

Around here, there's a traditions that groups/clubs 'steal' landmarks (e.g. a huge statue) overnight, put it on display somewhere far, far away (sometimes after a few days), and invite the bereft group/club/village/town to come and get it.  The thieves will usually be quite helpful with the retrieval, and it's done in good spirits. I don't recall that one of these stunts resulted in the object being lost for good.

https://upload.wikimedia....e_fietsen_(Apeldoorn).jpg

One of these disappeared a few years ago.  Shocked
(and retrieved).

And in the province of Friesland, the ceremonial chair of the governor was nicked. The Olympic Rings of the old Olympic Stadium in Amsterdam... it's a really crazy tradition if you ask me.

Yet, quite a few of the stunts draw attention to a social problem or plight.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 10:48:13 AM by Pomme » Logged

Talk to the hair, you slitherin' Skank
http://i.imgur.com/2mUIe.jpg
CyrilSebastian

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2020, 01:10:39 AM »

Hungarians avoid eating chicken and fish on New Year's Day. Chicken can scratch away the luck of the person. Fish can swim away the luck of the person.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2020, 10:06:55 AM »

Hungarians avoid eating chicken and fish on New Year's Day. Chicken can scratch away the luck of the person. Fish can swim away the luck of the person.

Very interesting Cyril!!
bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2020, 07:41:58 PM »

I live in a neighborhood in California that has a lot of Hispanic residents. They like to shoot guns into the air at midnight on New Year's Eve. I stay indoors and away from windows.
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2020, 08:53:28 PM »

Heavens, I would probably spent every turn of the clock under the bed...clutching the children and the dogs...

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2020, 09:23:34 AM »

I live in a neighborhood in California that has a lot of Hispanic residents. They like to shoot guns into the air at midnight on New Year's Eve. I stay indoors and away from windows.

Wow  Shocked
Gemsheal

Medium Member

I make all my memes

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2020, 08:38:46 PM »

There is an old tradition (I'm not sure whose it is) that eating a good cut of beef on New Year's Eve brings good luck in the New Year.   

My fondest childhood memory is ... not having to pay bills and taxes 🤓
TLLK

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2020, 11:58:37 PM »

Snare Oh yes I had forgotten about this delightful New Year's "tradition."  Thumb down Just did a quick search and saw similar stories for cities in Arizona, New Mexico etc...

Here's the LAPD website reminder that "What goes up, will come down." Fortunately the last known death attributed to this "tradition" occurred in 1999 but it claimed the life of a young boy.

https://www.lapdonline.or.../content_basic_view/23465

As New Year’s Eve approaches, the Los Angeles Police Department is launching its Citywide Gunfire Reduction Campaign. This campaign is designed to help reduce incidents of indiscriminate gunfire that have become a deadly New Year’s tradition in our city. The Gunfire Reduction Campaign aims to advise the community that ringing in the New Year with gunfire will not be tolerated in the City of Los Angeles. Discharging a firearm into the air is a felony punishable by one year in state prison. Anyone arrested for discharging a firearm will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Many times individuals involved in celebrating New Year’s Eve with gunfire do not realize the dangers posed by their actions. Researchers report that a bullet fired into the air can climb two miles into the air and remain in flight for more than a minute. As it falls, the bullet reaches a velocity of 300 to 700 feet per second. A velocity of only 200 feet per second is sufficient to penetrate the human skull.

Over the last several years, the Los Angeles Police Department has made great strides in reducing the amount of gunfire that occurs celebrating the New Year. During New Year's Eve 2005, the LAPD received 145 "shots-fired" radio calls, down 61% from the previous year. There were 9 arrests for Negligent Discharge of a Firearm in the Air, 21 other gun related arrests and 13 guns were seized. Again this year, the LAPD will deploy task force officers to respond to gunfire calls throughout the city.
chocolate_angel

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2020, 05:07:37 PM »

I remember Mosh telling the reporter of the documentary "Kongehuset indefra" from 2009 that on the 31 of December everybody (in the family) would watch Marge's speech with a glass of champagne in their hands - listening intensively to the speech... Laughing
I'm pretty sure Mosh tried in the beginning - to be all team spirit -  but now everything is bitter and she cannot wait to get the ultimate job....So her New Year's tradition today will probably be something else - not caring about Marge's speech - for sure...
Diogenes
Board Helper
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2020, 05:13:18 PM »

I remember Mosh telling the reporter of the documentary "Kongehuset indefra" from 2009 that on the 31 of December everybody (in the family) would watch Marge's speech with a glass of champagne in their hands - listening intensively to the speech... Laughing
I'm pretty sure Mosh tried in the beginning - to be all team spirit -  but now everything is bitter and she cannot wait to get the ultimate job....So her New Year's tradition today will probably be something else - not caring about Marge's speech - for sure...

... and when Fred’s turn rolls around, we’ll get to watch her fight for the camera as he pathetically attempts to give the Christmas speech through his champagne haze ...
Fun days ahead!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: