Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Mountbattens  (Read 29922 times)
Celia

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: June 16, 2017, 04:18:59 AM »

Because her father was so very aware of his lineage and connections, they had a lot more exposure to the European cousins post-WWI than the British royals tended to.  Louis used to be sure to visit his first cousin (and first cousin one removed) Victoria Eugenia of Spain; Edwina paid a stipend to uncle Franz Josef of Battenberg's widow until she died.  What an incredible life both Mountbatten daughters had.  At least Pamela has written about some of it.  I wonder if Patricia did as well, for posthumous publication?
Cleo12
Banned
Banned
Small Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2017, 01:09:32 AM »

Pamela Mountbatten has written two books about her life at Viceregal Lodge in New Delhi, which are quite evocative of the events happening at the time of independence, if you don't mind viewing it through the prism of British imperialism.  The Lodge was at least as big as Buckingham Palace with over 300 rooms and a Moghul garden, which I think still exists today.  Pamela is quite frank about her mother's relationships both with Mountbatten and Nehru, but not so forthcoming about her father's personal life.  One thing I learned that I didn't know before, was the extent to which Edwina assisted Mountbatten in his job preparing for independence.  When you see Edwina dressed in her finery & jewels (she came from an extremely rich family), you might not think that she was a hard worker, but apparently, did work hard and at times, even went to some dangerous areas as part of her work.  I highly recommend these two books for anyone interested in India at the end of the British Raj.

Daughter of Empire:  My Life as a Mountbatten, by Pamela Mountbatten; and

India Remembered, by Pamela Mountbatten and India Hicks.
Olya

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2017, 11:00:29 AM »

Pamela Mountbatten has written two books about her life at Viceregal Lodge in New Delhi, which are quite evocative of the events happening at the time of independence, if you don't mind viewing it through the prism of British imperialism.  The Lodge was at least as big as Buckingham Palace with over 300 rooms and a Moghul garden, which I think still exists today.  Pamela is quite frank about her mother's relationships both with Mountbatten and Nehru, but not so forthcoming about her father's personal life.  One thing I learned that I didn't know before, was the extent to which Edwina assisted Mountbatten in his job preparing for independence.  When you see Edwina dressed in her finery & jewels (she came from an extremely rich family), you might not think that she was a hard worker, but apparently, did work hard and at times, even went to some dangerous areas as part of her work.  I highly recommend these two books for anyone interested in India at the end of the British Raj.

Daughter of Empire:  My Life as a Mountbatten, by Pamela Mountbatten; and

India Remembered, by Pamela Mountbatten and India Hicks.

Thank you for the recommondation!
Amazing how open she's been about personal affairs of her parents, cosidering how hush they can be.
Ginger

Small Member

Sweden Sweden

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: August 31, 2017, 12:13:42 PM »

Queen Louise of Sweden was an interesting queen.
Not quite like the others . Smiley
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louise_Mountbatten

Here she is on the subway with husband Gustaf VI Adolf.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: