Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 34   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2021 Swedish Royal News  (Read 95760 times)
emtishell

Big Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #375 on: July 30, 2021, 01:02:26 PM »

I suspect CG never got over his son being passed over ... as King he expected control over who his daughters married.... Dan is a nobody.... Chris maybe more acceptable but he would have wanted men from a titled background at least.... so a minor Prince for Vic at least.... same as Dutchess Maria married .... the whole thing is outdated

was there a law that got passed tghat cirst born irresp[ective of gender be reiging monarch?

how did the golden greasy boy got passed over... Huh?

thx

G Smiley

Here’s an interesting article about how absolute primogeniture was enacted retroactively in 1979, so Vic would have been 2 or 3.

https://theroyalpages.com...tionized-the-royal-world/

The King was … not amused.

That is really an interesting piece, thank you for sharing!

IMO it also partially explains the reaction of CG.

This article is missing an important part of the change. The preliminary work for the change was carried out in 1977-78. Since changing the Act of Succession means a change of the Constitution, the Parliament needed to vote on the matter two times, with an election in between those two votes.The first vote was carried out in the Parliament in 1978, and the second one in 1979, after the general elections. The change of the Act of Succession came into force in January 1980.
So CG and Silvia knew that Vic will be the heir maybe they had the wrong advisers. But they should have known better if CP would have been born some month later in 1980 this discussion wouldn’t take place. The sad think is that both the King and Queen seem to believe that their boy was stripped of his title until today and blame Vic for this. No wonder Vic prefers to spend her time apart from her parents when not necessary.

I feel like they named CP as the Crown Prince when he was born in the hope that it would override the change to the Act, they never imagined it would be retrospective.

Both girls have spoken very openly in interviews about their difficult childhoods and the fact their parents were never around. Its quite sad actually.
anastasia beaverhausen

Ginormous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #376 on: July 30, 2021, 04:58:13 PM »

Yes, it really is sad. You can see the damage even now, with Maddie moving half a world away and Vic separating more and more from her parents. That didn’t happen without a reason.
anneboleyn

Warned
Large Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #377 on: July 30, 2021, 08:17:53 PM »

It’s very sad. Victoria is one of the best CP’s in the world, I’d say. She is a huge asset to her country and it’s a shame her father can’t get with the times.

“And she will keep coming back to life, over and over again, because beneath the skin of this gentle human lives a warrior unstoppable.” - Annabelle M. Ramos
SvenskaSarah

Big Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #378 on: July 31, 2021, 05:54:52 PM »

I suspect CG never got over his son being passed over ... as King he expected control over who his daughters married.... Dan is a nobody.... Chris maybe more acceptable but he would have wanted men from a titled background at least.... so a minor Prince for Vic at least.... same as Dutchess Maria married .... the whole thing is outdated

was there a law that got passed tghat cirst born irresp[ective of gender be reiging monarch?

thx

G Smiley

Here’s an interesting article about how absolute primogeniture was enacted retroactively in 1979, so Vic would have been 2 or 3.

This article is missing an important part of the change. The preliminary work for the change was carried out in 1977-78. Since changing the Act of Succession means a change of the Constitution, the Parliament needed to vote on the matter two times, with an election in between those two votes.The first vote was carried out in the Parliament in 1978, and the second one in 1979, after the general elections. The change of the Act of Succession came into force in January 1980.
So CG and Silvia knew that Vic will be the heir maybe they had the wrong advisers. But they should have known better if CP would have been born some month later in 1980 this discussion wouldn’t take place. The sad think is that both the King and Queen seem to believe that their boy was stripped of his title until today and blame Vic for this. No wonder Vic prefers to spend her time apart from her parents when not necessary.

I feel like they named CP as the Crown Prince when he was born in the hope that it would override the change to the Act, they never imagined it would be retrospective.

Both girls have spoken very openly in interviews about their difficult childhoods and the fact their parents were never around. Its quite sad actually.

Maybe I'm reading way to much into this (as usual!) But I wonder if they chose Philip because it would give the initials of CP? I'm not sure where the inspiration came from to give him Philip as a name, and of course in Sweden CP would be KP (Kronprinsen) but internationally it would be CP as we refer to Vikkan. In Swedish Philip is usually spelled as Filip. This theory comes across as incredibly petty, but given what we've seen of CG and Silvia, it honestly wouldn't surprise me if there was some ulterior motive by naming their son Carl Philip; honouring pappa's name but also giving the initials CP.
esther angeline

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #379 on: August 01, 2021, 07:47:08 PM »

I think they KNEW that Victoria would be queen as they named her a name which is associated with one of the greatest queens in history.  I think they are resentful because they never ACCEPTED that she was heir.  Fact vs psychology.
Kristallinchen

Humongous Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #380 on: August 01, 2021, 08:45:43 PM »

thx

G Smiley

Maybe I'm reading way to much into this (as usual!) But I wonder if they chose Philip because it would give the initials of CP? I'm not sure where the inspiration came from to give him Philip as a name, and of course in Sweden CP would be KP (Kronprinsen) but internationally it would be CP as we refer to Vikkan. In Swedish Philip is usually spelled as Filip. This theory comes across as incredibly petty, but given what we've seen of CG and Silvia, it honestly wouldn't surprise me if there was some ulterior motive by naming their son Carl Philip; honouring pappa's name but also giving the initials CP.

Really?

I hope that isn't true. It sounds totally freaky and like someone is having serious issues.
Kristallinchen

Humongous Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #381 on: August 01, 2021, 08:47:47 PM »

Yes, it really is sad. You can see the damage even now, with Maddie moving half a world away and Vic separating more and more from her parents. That didn’t happen without a reason.

In case of Silvia I believe that she's regretting her actions. She certainly seems to miss her daughter.
SvenskaSarah

Big Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #382 on: August 02, 2021, 11:32:52 AM »

thx

G Smiley

Really?

I hope that isn't true. It sounds totally freaky and like someone is having serious issues.

Honestly it is more than likely a figment of my overactive imagination! I have a tendency to read too much into things  I was reading the posts in this thread and noticed how we refer to Carl Philip as CP because it's his initials, but we also refer to Vic being a great CP as in Crown Princess.

Victoria is an interesting name for a future Swedish Queen as there has been no precedent: the only Queen Victoria's in Sweden were consorts and German-born princesses. Victoria's great-great grandmother was Victoria of Baden (consort to Gustav V and the bringer of the Baden fringe to the SRF) and she is also descended from Victoria of the United Kingdom. Another thought- perhaps her love of wearing the Baden fringe is a tribute to her namesake and ancestor?

Not that there's a lot of choice when it comes to Swedish Queens, but Victoria will be the first of her name, much like her daughter will be the first of hers...but Victoria is definitely more regal than Estelle!
Miss Marple

Humongous Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #383 on: August 02, 2021, 01:10:56 PM »

What I find a bit odd is that they had no "naming pattern" that applied to all children.

Victoria is a classical name, but with no real historic significance to Sweden (which is a bit strange, because they were aware that she might end up Queen), am I right there?

Carl-Philip IMO is not the short form of crown prince. They thought he would be king. So they used Carl as a homage to his dad and Philip - well, there were already two crown princes Philip on the go (Spain and Belgium), so it was a safe bet. If CP had become king there would now be three king Philip around. So Carl made it a bit more individual.

Madeleine ... well, the Bernadottes have some French connections and it is a bit of a girly name, so I think Silvia had their say in it.

Always remember you deal with a family that had to think for nearly a decade if a friendly decent middle fitness-club-owner could marry their daughter but were "delighted" when a stripper joined their ranks.
Princess MS

Warned
Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #384 on: August 02, 2021, 01:55:14 PM »

What I find a bit odd is that they had no "naming pattern" that applied to all children.

Victoria is a classical name, but with no real historic significance to Sweden (which is a bit strange, because they were aware that she might end up Queen), am I right there?

Carl-Philip IMO is not the short form of crown prince. They thought he would be king. So they used Carl as a homage to his dad and Philip - well, there were already two crown princes Philip on the go (Spain and Belgium), so it was a safe bet. If CP had become king there would now be three king Philip around. So Carl made it a bit more individual.

Madeleine ... well, the Bernadottes have some French connections and it is a bit of a girly name, so I think Silvia had their say in it.

Always remember you deal with a family that had to think for nearly a decade if a friendly decent middle fitness-club-owner could marry their daughter but were "delighted" when a stripper joined their ranks.

At the time Vic was born what were traditional names for girls in aristocratic Sweden???

You have to remember that Silvia is German with a South American mother so her preference would have been for names she was familiar with

And yes poor Vic had to wait a long time but CP will always get what he wants as he missed out on being King

Maddie is the lucky one.. not having to put up with the distorted dynamics in that family all the time
Miss Marple

Humongous Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #385 on: August 02, 2021, 05:06:20 PM »

At the time Vic was born what were traditional names for girls in aristocratic Sweden???

Well, CG had four sisters (with three names each) and his aunt was Ingrid, so there were a few names running. Victoria was more common in England (of course), Prussia and other countries I think (I am not an expert for Swedish royal names, so I stand to be corrected).

You have to remember that Silvia is German with a South American mother so her preference would have been for names she was familiar with

TBH honest I don't think that Silvia had a choice or a say - Silvia would have sold her sould to the devil if it was about royal life. She did not even speak German to her kids (can you imagine that - you have children and speak to them in a to you rather foreign language) because Germans were not very popular back then.

Silvia was determined to do a great job as Queen and to appear as a happy modern royal family - but their family life was not a happy one. Victoria became anorexic. I believe there was a lot of pressure and loneliness on the kids when they grew up (Victoria and Madeleine said so in an interview) - they always put their royal jobs first.

Remember a couple of years back when Silvia was hospitalized on Christmas Eve? CG was whereever and CP and Victoria were also not available to go and see their mom. I think that tells you a bit about the "real" close family bonds they were having. Madeleine ended up staying with her mom, even though she had small kids herself and had come for a Swedish Christmas to Sweden.

And yes poor Vic had to wait a long time but CP will always get what he wants as he missed out on being King. Maddie is the lucky one.. not having to put up with the distorted dynamics in that family all the time

I'd rather say Madeleine was the luckiest one of the three, but there were times when she was entitled and aloof. Chris and motherhood were good for her and made her (finally) mature.
Gemsheal

Medium Member

I make my own memes

Ignore
« Reply #386 on: August 03, 2021, 08:40:38 PM »

I imagine that Victoria was named for Queen Victoria of Sweden:   Sophie Marie Victoria of Baden (German: Viktoria; 7 August 1862 – 4 April 1930),  Queen of Sweden as the wife of King Gustaf V.   Princess Viktoria of Baden was named for the Crown Princess of Prussia ("Vicky") who was her maternal aunt by marriage.  So there was a little family tradition at work when CG & Silvia chose that name.    

How quick come the reasons for approving what we like!

- Jane Austen
Harley
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Denmark Denmark

Team Marie all the way

Ignore
« Reply #387 on: August 03, 2021, 09:05:58 PM »

True. And, like all parents, they may simply have gone with names they liked the sound of.

Maria
Administrator
Most Exalted Member

« Reply #388 on: August 04, 2021, 09:02:38 AM »

FWIW it’s a lot more fitting for a future regent of Sweden than Estelle Champagne
Harley
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Denmark Denmark

Team Marie all the way

Ignore
« Reply #389 on: August 04, 2021, 11:14:34 AM »

FWIW it’s a lot more fitting for a future regent of Sweden than Estelle Champagne

Laughing Yeah, don’t get me started on “Estelle … Mary”. Worst royal name ever.

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 34   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: