Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 41   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2021 Swedish Royal News  (Read 129316 times)
anneboleyn

Warned
Big Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #510 on: October 04, 2021, 07:04:27 PM »

Usually yes !  Banana

Can't wait!  Supercontent

ďAnd she will keep coming back to life, over and over again, because beneath the skin of this gentle human lives a warrior unstoppable.Ē - Annabelle M. Ramos
Lady Adelaide

Ginormous Member

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #511 on: October 20, 2021, 05:44:13 PM »

CG presented the H.M. The King's Medal and the Litteris et Artibus Medal during a ceremony at the Royal Palace today. Christina was awarded The King's Medal for her non-profit community initiatives in several areas.

https://www.kungahuset.se...a5bd17c0724e0a716bf2.html

Lovis

Gigantic Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #512 on: October 21, 2021, 08:53:26 AM »

Must be weird, giving your older sister a medal with your face on it.   
Hester
Board Helper
Warned
Most Exalted Member

Samoa Samoa

Ignore
« Reply #513 on: October 21, 2021, 11:12:44 AM »

Conflict of interest much? 😬
SvenskaSarah

Big Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #514 on: October 21, 2021, 02:22:51 PM »

Personally I think she deserves a medal (without her brother's face on it) for being so dignified when she "passed over" (was ousted as) her patronage of Sophiahemmet to Hoefia. Was she being treated for cancer at the time, or did that happen later?

Christina reminds me a little of Anne. She's loyal, always willing to serve the monarchy when needed and never complains. Since CG's kids have reached adulthood we've seen less and less of her, but you can't deny she has dedicated her life to the Swedish Monarchy and the causes jt/she patrons.
ralf103

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #515 on: October 21, 2021, 02:53:04 PM »

Ouch! That must have stung, having to give up anything just to help the PR effort to gloss over Sofiaís sordid past.

This may be the wrong place to post but is there a reason Christina does royal duties but the other sisters donít? I know the other two moved away from Sweden so was it just that?

She seems to have done a lot of charity work so Iím sure she deserves the medal.
SvenskaSarah

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #516 on: October 21, 2021, 06:22:46 PM »

Ouch! That must have stung, having to give up anything just to help the PR effort to gloss over Sofiaís sordid past.

This may be the wrong place to post but is there a reason Christina does royal duties but the other sisters donít? I know the other two moved away from Sweden so was it just that?

She seems to have done a lot of charity work so Iím sure she deserves the medal.

Margareta and Desiree married before CG became king and lost their succession and HRH status as they married men of a lower social class (Sweden was once quite strict on these things). Although Desiree married a Baron and stayed in Sweden  she still forfeited her title and rights upon marriage. Margareta married an English man and resided there too. Birgitta married a Prince so she kept her title, but was/is officially a Princess of Hohenzollern now and therefore does not undertake duties on behalf of the SRF.

Christina married after CG became king, and he is much more lax in allowing family members to marry people of different class and keep their titles, he himself married a commoner and it was only during his reign that Bertil married Lillian. And of course decades down the line he allowed CP to marry Hoefia, which would have been massively denied during the rein of Gustaf VI Adolf or his predecessors. So Christina kept her HRH title, resided in Sweden and was/is a working member of the family. At the time of her marriage she was also the "first lady" or the SRF as it was before CG married Silvia and after their mother Sibylla passed away, and because of family members losing succession rights etc there was very few members actually able to represent and carry out duties.

Sorry for the long explanation, but I hope this makes sense! I've always wondered if there was any animosity between Christina, Desiree and Margareta regarding the loss of titles upon marriage. I'm sure CG would reinstate his elder sisters, but perhaps they prefer the lives they have had rather than one of duty and public-facing.
Oh_Caroline

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #517 on: October 21, 2021, 06:39:48 PM »

I thought none of CG sisters ever had succession rights as it wasnít until 1980 that females had succession rights.  And that Christina list her HRH as wellÖtheir website doesnít include an HRH for her.
ralf103

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #518 on: October 21, 2021, 06:57:59 PM »

Margareta and Desiree married before CG became king and lost their succession and HRH status as they married men of a lower social class (Sweden was once quite strict on these things). Although Desiree married a Baron and stayed in Sweden  she still forfeited her title and rights upon marriage. Margareta married an English man and resided there too. Birgitta married a Prince so she kept her title, but was/is officially a Princess of Hohenzollern now and therefore does not undertake duties on behalf of the SRF.

Christina married after CG became king, and he is much more lax in allowing family members to marry people of different class and keep their titles, he himself married a commoner and it was only during his reign that Bertil married Lillian. And of course decades down the line he allowed CP to marry Hoefia, which would have been massively denied during the rein of Gustaf VI Adolf or his predecessors. So Christina kept her HRH title, resided in Sweden and was/is a working member of the family. At the time of her marriage she was also the "first lady" or the SRF as it was before CG married Silvia and after their mother Sibylla passed away, and because of family members losing succession rights etc there was very few members actually able to represent and carry out duties.

Sorry for the long explanation, but I hope this makes sense! I've always wondered if there was any animosity between Christina, Desiree and Margareta regarding the loss of titles upon marriage. I'm sure CG would reinstate his elder sisters, but perhaps they prefer the lives they have had rather than one of duty and public-facing.

Thank you so much for such an informative reply! I hadnít realised Christina only married after CG was King. I wonder too about the siblings relationship given some had to loose titles to marry those they loved and others didnít. What an odd situation to be in.
Lady Adelaide

Ginormous Member

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #519 on: October 21, 2021, 10:39:33 PM »

Christina is not an HRH, she lost it when she got married. Birgitta is the only sister who got to keep her title.
Cordelia Fitzgerald

Large Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #520 on: October 21, 2021, 11:40:18 PM »

Conflict of interest much? 😬

To me this is like when Queen Elizabeth awards her order to family members, or elevates them to Knight of the Order of the Garter or whatever.  Does it really mean that much to them?  It's all very strange to me, this awarding of orders and honors and medals to family members.
Lady Adelaide

Ginormous Member

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #521 on: October 22, 2021, 01:22:34 PM »

CG and Victoria attended the World Wide Fund for Nature WWF's annual meeting at Ulriksdal Palace

SvenskaSarah

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #522 on: October 22, 2021, 05:25:27 PM »

Forgive me for forgetting Christina is not a HRH- I was very much writing from memory and in mind that she is a working member of the royal family. With regards to succession rights I meant the titles and styles of children borne to the Haga sisters bar Birgitta. It is interesting to note that the monarchs prior to CG had mainly sons, with the exception of Princess Eugenie, Princesses Louise and Ingrid (both later Queen consorts of Denmark), so there was little precedent for the Bernadottes when Gustaf Adolf and Sibylla had four daughters!

Also, the Swedish Court has confirmed that the State Visit from Spain in November- I'm surprised that the last state visit between the two nations was in the 1980s! I'm already way too excited to see what Leti will wear and the which jewels the Swedish ladies (bar Hoefia) will don. Please let Madde come home in November time for an extended Christmas break so she too can attend the state dinner!!

Cordelia Fitzgerald

Large Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #523 on: October 23, 2021, 12:14:30 AM »

Well it's not the Nobel Ceremonies, but I will happily take a state visit as a consolation prize!!  I think Leti will pull out a big gun tiara...gotta hold her own with the Swedish ladies!! 

Fingers crossed Madde makes an appearance!!
Lady Adelaide

Ginormous Member

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #524 on: October 23, 2021, 12:31:49 PM »

Benedikte has been on a visit to Stockholm this week and joined Silvia, Desiree and Christina for a tour of the exhibition "Daisy - Crown Princess Margareta, 1882-1920"

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 41   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: