Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Haakon & Mette-Marit - News & Events 2021  (Read 66170 times)
Miss Marple

Humongous Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: August 26, 2021, 09:35:25 PM »

Hakoon is a bit work shy himself. Given Harald's age and state of health he should be basically there and work a lot more.

And MM ... she always found good excuses for not working which made you a horrible person for remarking she was not working. She milked every opportunity. With SM she announced the pregnancy as soon as the test got positive and said that she had so many health problems that she could not work until after the birth. Fair enough, it was a pregnancy and it did not make much of a difference. But: how did she know at seven weeks pregnant how she would feel the other 33 weeks? Sounded pretty lame at the time ....

Plus: She was apparently waitressing and "studying" when she had Magnus. It is of course very hard when you have a baby to go to university, but she had apparently plenty of time and money for festivals, parties, drugs ...

She also loved to portray themselves as super-intellectuals. They went to study in London after the wedding, right? She bascially snubbed all Norwegian people by leaving the country instead of learning the ropes of her new job. Whatever came out of that studies ... she is not using it. The times she is working someone should just make her raid Sonia's wardrobe. In every company the representative would not be allowed in public with the clothes she is wearing (unless she is dressed casually, then she looks okay).

She is the only future Queen who is not from a solid conservative middle class background. She knew what life as a single mom on social welfare was like. She knew what drugs can do to people. Did she use any of these experiences? Nope. She cleaned up beaches - to show up with a coffee to go one way cup at an engagement (whatever that was for, they would have surely given her a cup of coffee had she wanted one?), she claimed she was afraid of flying (but had no problems to fly for private reasons), she participated in a cycle to work campaign and checked her mobile while cycling = she is not credible at all.

I started disliking her when she used her diplomatic passport to fly to India to collect a newborn baby of some of her friends (they had used a surrogate there and had problems with their visa) and then showed up only days later at a conference against the exploitation of women.
Harley
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Denmark Denmark

Team Marie all the way

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: August 26, 2021, 09:44:48 PM »

Good post

Very good summary, Miss Marple.

MM is pretty problematic but, IMO, she works so little that she’d managed to make people forget all the controversial things she’s done as CPss.

Btw, the whole “I’m so intellectual” thing she’s been trying to sell has always come across as super fake, IMO. Probably because she, herself, seems super fake.

Athena

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: August 27, 2021, 09:47:25 AM »

I had not seen the bouquet before, I wonder if it was Chain of Hearts, Ceropegia woodii.
Can't identify the purple flowers though.

Quite unique.  Champagne
Mariola

Small Member

Spain Spain

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: August 27, 2021, 06:52:48 PM »

I had not seen the bouquet before, I wonder if it was Chain of Hearts, Ceropegia woodii.
Can't identify the purple flowers though.

Quite unique.  Champagne

You are correct! I was also interested and I have found this:
"The bridal bouquet, worn as a muff, was developed in between the bride and florist Aina Nyberget Kleppe. It was made up of rosary vine (Ceropegia woodii), Wanda orchids (a Phalaenopsis orchid), hydrangeas, roses in pink and mauve tones, bear grass, beads and metal threads."

https://royalfashionblog....bride-mette-marit-norway/
getafix

Most Exalted Member

Virgin Islands, British Virgin Islands, British

Bye-Bye MEDiana Who!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: August 28, 2021, 12:03:26 AM »

Hakoon is a bit work shy himself. Given Harald's age and state of health he should be basically there and work a lot more.

And MM ... she always found good excuses for not working which made you a horrible person for remarking she was not working. She milked every opportunity. With SM she announced the pregnancy as soon as the test got positive and said that she had so many health problems that she could not work until after the birth. Fair enough, it was a pregnancy and it did not make much of a difference. But: how did she know at seven weeks pregnant how she would feel the other 33 weeks? Sounded pretty lame at the time ....

Plus: She was apparently waitressing and "studying" when she had Magnus. It is of course very hard when you have a baby to go to university, but she had apparently plenty of time and money for festivals, parties, drugs ...

She also loved to portray themselves as super-intellectuals. They went to study in London after the wedding, right? She bascially snubbed all Norwegian people by leaving the country instead of learning the ropes of her new job. Whatever came out of that studies ... she is not using it. The times she is working someone should just make her raid Sonia's wardrobe. In every company the representative would not be allowed in public with the clothes she is wearing (unless she is dressed casually, then she looks okay).

She is the only future Queen who is not from a solid conservative middle class background. She knew what life as a single mom on social welfare was like. She knew what drugs can do to people. Did she use any of these experiences? Nope. She cleaned up beaches - to show up with a coffee to go one way cup at an engagement (whatever that was for, they would have surely given her a cup of coffee had she wanted one?), she claimed she was afraid of flying (but had no problems to fly for private reasons), she participated in a cycle to work campaign and checked her mobile while cycling = she is not credible at all.

I started disliking her when she used her diplomatic passport to fly to India to collect a newborn baby of some of her friends (they had used a surrogate there and had problems with their visa) and then showed up only days later at a conference against the exploitation of women.
[/b]

me goo!!

I think for me was when she attended a stop the poverty conference and had every expensive label ...right down to the pen she was holding in her hand...under the sun. Dead

be a little humble and discreet. not flash it about in wrong circumstance. we all know you have wealth. Snare

G Snare

ANDREW DENTON: Yes. What did... When you first met, what did you see in each other? CROWN PRINCE FREDERIK: What did we see in each other? We saw... Well, it's a bit hard. It's a bit blurry, in a way, because it was just after the Olympics had started and it was one of those evenings where...
Miss Marple

Humongous Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: August 28, 2021, 12:59:23 PM »

She works very little, is not commited (except reading), and just seems to randomly jump on the bandwagon when it suits her (poverty, environment) without actual caring. I am happy for Hakoon that he sees a profound personality there. I can't see her that way.
Celia

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: August 28, 2021, 01:56:23 PM »

I remember the first major engagement after their wedding was a joint birthday party --and they invited a local group of mentally handicapped people to come over as their guests.  MM looked SO uncomfortable, limply shaking hands, hunched over.  Haakon looked very happy to be sharing his big day with the visitors.  But then he'd been brought up to do things like that, and she certainly hadn't. 
Miss Marple

Humongous Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: August 28, 2021, 04:53:14 PM »

I remember the first major engagement after their wedding was a joint birthday party --and they invited a local group of mentally handicapped people to come over as their guests.  MM looked SO uncomfortable, limply shaking hands, hunched over.  Haakon looked very happy to be sharing his big day with the visitors.  But then he'd been brought up to do things like that, and she certainly hadn't. 

I would not even mind that - she was, after all, in a completely different role in a different environment and it took time to adjust. It was not like Maxima or Letizia who had public jobs/ leading jobs before and could practice that kind of things before in a different surrounding. She was not suited at all. She had, however, a very sensible mom who surely taught her values. What would she have done with her life if Hakoon had not met her and "rescued her" financially? She was, after all, responsible for the well-being of a child.

She does not even try. And never did. There was never a time when you had the feeling she seriously tries to be a good crown princess. She hardly did any engagements (and came up with millions of excuses), if she works she wears totally strange clothes, glasses which always look as if she raided the wardrobe of a spinster country liberian who was born in the 1950s/60s and is still stuck there.
Cordelia Fitzgerald

Large Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: August 28, 2021, 04:57:27 PM »

I would not even mind that - she was, after all, in a completely different role in a different environment and it took time to adjust. It was not like Maxima or Letizia who had public jobs/ leading jobs before and could practice that kind of things before in a different surrounding. She was not suited at all. She had, however, a very sensible mom who surely taught her values. What would she have done with her life if Hakoon had not met her and "rescued her" financially? She was, after all, responsible for the well-being of a child.

She does not even try. And never did. There was never a time when you had the feeling she seriously tries to be a good crown princess. She hardly did any engagements (and came up with millions of excuses), if she works she wears totally strange clothes, glasses which always look as if she raided the wardrobe of a spinster country liberian who was born in the 1950s/60s and is still stuck there.

Very insightful question!  It made me realize that the married-ins I respect the most (Mathilde  etc.) would have been just fine on their own.  The ones I don't respect...I do wonder what they would have done.  That's a great way to assess them.

To be fair I don't know what Marie of Denmark would be doing but she has such great causes (food waste) that she is so committed to that in my mind it's not an issue.

You don't have the feeling that MM would have done much. And not saying that every woman needs a high powered career; I'm perfectly content to be a teacher with no aspirations beyond being a great teacher.  But I don't see any of that drive or passion for ANYTHING in MM.
Maria
Administrator
Most Exalted Member

« Reply #129 on: August 28, 2021, 05:52:09 PM »

IIRC Marius’s father is from a sort of posh background - I suspect MM would have found some guy to keep her afloat. Much like Sofia she’s one of those married-in’s who would have had to have been lucky because their plan was so obviously to get someone to provide for them. Marie has a degree and worked in her stepfather’s company IIRC. Mary also has a degree and did work to provide for herself. Daniel had his gym. Ari had his career going well before Märtha. Chris was probably doing better financially before marrying Madeleine. Kate has a degree, Sophie worked too.

I think MM and Sofia are pretty much the most obvious ones who was going nowhere. MM even with a child. Haakon was definitely not thinking about her work abilities when he chose her as his wife.
periwinkle

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: August 28, 2021, 07:49:03 PM »

I'm sure "little Haakon" got a vote but Haakon does seem gentle and not so alpha so maybe he has a savior quality to him and he thought he would give her what she needed (love and structure) and be a good male figure to the child. She may or may not have played that up in him I can't tell. All to say it takes two to tango and they both owe their success and failures as public figures to their own decision making. They aren't just a regular Joe and Jane getting married this Joe had to find a Jane who could also be a good princess/queen.
Kemenate

Small Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: September 01, 2021, 03:05:51 PM »

IIRC Marius’s father is from a sort of posh background - I suspect MM would have found some guy to keep her afloat. Much like Sofia she’s one of those married-in’s who would have had to have been lucky because their plan was so obviously to get someone to provide for them. Marie has a degree and worked in her stepfather’s company IIRC. Mary also has a degree and did work to provide for herself. Daniel had his gym. Ari had his career going well before Märtha. Chris was probably doing better financially before marrying Madeleine. Kate has a degree, Sophie worked too.

I think MM and Sofia are pretty much the most obvious ones who was going nowhere. MM even with a child. Haakon was definitely not thinking about her work abilities when he chose her as his wife.

You are right Maria..it is well documented in her unofficial biography, that sie always surrounded herself with the right people aka rich.. she never dated a poor dude.
leatherface

Gigantic Member

Nigeria Nigeria

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: September 01, 2021, 04:41:35 PM »

You are right Maria..it is well documented in her unofficial biography, that sie always surrounded herself with the right people aka rich.. she never dated a poor dude.

This is one of the reasons I will always side-eye MM.

The fact that having a child to take care of did not spur her to improve herself and better her situation.

Even if Marius would have been financially provided for by his father's family, she could have at least tried to better herself to give Marius a decent role-model considering his father has/had his own substance abuse issues.
Lady Adelaide

Ginormous Member

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: September 23, 2021, 06:40:39 PM »

MM and Haakon hosted a reception for young people at Skaugum to celebrate 20 years of the Crown Prince and Crown Princess’ Foundation

Gemsheal

Large Member

Wishing everyone a Happy and Bright New Year!

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: September 23, 2021, 09:00:20 PM »

Haakon, still wearing those same gross shoes.   And like CP of Sweden, does he only own ONE suit, or are they all blue? 

MM looks OK, just, but as always her hair color does her no favors.   

“Because to take away a man's freedom of choice, even his freedom to make the wrong choice, is to manipulate him as though he were a puppet and not a person.”

― Madeline L'Engle
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: